Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading this Forum, I find several references that say "Putting a trailer hitch on your GL1800 will in most cases void any remaining warranties. Original and extended warranties included." I have called several large Honda Dealerships and asked the question. " If I buy one of your trailer hitches and have it installed or install it myself, on my GL1800, would this void my extended warranty?" The answer I am getting is NO. So, what am I missing here. Will it void the warranty or not or am I asking the wrong question? Surely somebody has had experience in this area and it seems to be a gray area for discussion. Thanks. Isaac:confused:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have no facts to share. But, I would think that technically, adding the trailer hich could provide the manufacturers (of the bike and tire) the ammunition to deny a warranty claim. With that said, I have a hitch on my 1500, and have had warranty work completed without issue. I think the dealer/service would have alot to say in the matter. I'd look for a reply from Budoka, he would have first hand knowledge. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
To my knowledge Honda specifies that for safty purposes, pulling a trailer is not allowed. So if they want to, they can technically refuse to perform warranty work on any part that would be affected by pulling a trailer. Whether they choose to enforce that policy is up to them. Since most dealers will install a trailer hitch, they choose to not say anything about it. I think the outcry from customers would be a real problem for the dealers...

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To my knowledge Honda specifies that for safty purposes, pulling a trailer is not allowed. So if they want to, they can technically refuse to perform warranty work on any part that would be affected by pulling a trailer. Whether they choose to enforce that policy is up to them. Since most dealers will install a trailer hitch, they choose to not say anything about it. I think the outcry from customers would be a real problem for the dealers...
I think you and Whacker have hit the nail on the head. I suppose its up to the severity of the warranty work and the dealer's attitude as to whether things are covered. I suppose that to install a trailer hitch is just a calculated risk. Thanks for the replies and I am still weighing the odds here. Its Honda's way of putting us in the barrel. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey DW,

I agree with your assessment. I have wanted to do things on vehicles and had the same reservations. Until now, I have opted to wait until the warranty expires before making changes that might void a warranty.

I don't know your circumstances, finances, number of trips or lenth of trips. They all factor into decisions.

Were I in your shoes and going for one long trip (assuming that cutting back on stuff isn't an option), I would consider UPSing my stuff from one place to another. I have done it before - it's there when I need it and at my doorstep when I get home.

Many reasons might make this impractical. If so,buy the trailer, be happy and figure that history (many logged hours with a trailer behind a wing) is on your side. I would say the odds are well in your favor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey DW,

I agree with your assessment. I have wanted to do things on vehicles and had the same reservations. Until now, I have opted to wait until the warranty expires before making changes that might void a warranty.

I don't know your circumstances, finances, number of trips or lenth of trips. They all factor into decisions.

Were I in your shoes and going for one long trip (assuming that cutting back on stuff isn't an option), I would consider UPSing my stuff from one place to another. I have done it before - it's there when I need it and at my doorstep when I get home.

Many reasons might make this impractical. If so,buy the trailer, be happy and figure that history (many logged hours with a trailer behind a wing) is on your side. I would say the odds are well in your favor.

Good luck.
Yes, I just got the extended warranty on the bike and I sure don't want to void that chunk of change. I've done the UPS thing and found it to be costly but nice to have things waiting. Several times a year I make a trip of about 2 thousand miles and loading all that stuff on the bike reminds me of "Grapes of Wrath". The trailer would make it so much simpler and cleaner looking. I have done all that with the FJR too and boy, that really looks like an act out of Cirque de Sole. I still have reservations about it all but I am leaning towards getting a trailer and going that route. Thanks for your input. :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
While Honda does state that using your motorcycle (or any motorcycle for that matter) for pulling a trailer is NOT recommended, the warranty itself only implies that using the unit for "other than it's intended use" will void the warranty. The only things specifically mentioned are racing, competition and rental as to definite void applications. The mention in the owners manual about pulling a trailer is Honda's way of skirting liability issues. No dealer in their right mind would do anything to lose favour with mother Honda concerning a customer's Wng with a hitch on it. Push come to shove, if you ever had an issue with a bike that had a hitch installed, take the hitch off before taking it to the shop for repair. Only thing that comes to mind might be the rear diff or the clutch/tranny but there's so many Wings out there that pull trailers, it's pretty much a non-issue.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While Honda does state that using your motorcycle (or any motorcycle for that matter) for pulling a trailer is NOT recommended, the warranty itself only implies that using the unit for "other than it's intended use" will void the warranty. The only things specifically mentioned are racing, competition and rental as to definite void applications. The mention in the owners manual about pulling a trailer is Honda's way of skirting liability issues. No dealer in their right mind would do anything to lose favour with mother Honda concerning a customer's Wng with a hitch on it. Push come to shove, if you ever had an issue with a bike that had a hitch installed, take the hitch off before taking it to the shop for repair. Only thing that comes to mind might be the rear diff or the clutch/tranny but there's so many Wings out there that pull trailers, it's pretty much a non-issue.
Thanks Budoka. Sage advice and thanks for the input. One of the dealers I called said " Well, if you were pulling a car or something there might be implications". In that statement I deduce that 1. They acknowledge that Wings pull trailers. 2. As long as the trailer is not a mobile home or something, everything is still covered. I agree that it appears to be a liability issue and Honda is just covering their behinds. Thanks again. Isaac:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts