Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a trend as of late in the media towards popularizing the outlaw biker. There are or have been at least two series about outlaw clubs, fictional or a "reality show" as they call it, that are showing a light that aren't flattering to the majority of riders. Add the sport biker stunt shows and suddenly we're all lumped together as being boozing, fighting, and chauvanistic adrenaline junkies that are borderline or outright scofflaws. I'm particularly not fond of the series that highlight the treatment of women as "property".

What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
I hear you.

That is why I was pissed when the movie "Wild Hogs" was produced. Here was an opportunity to tell a story about 4 older guys going on a motorcycle adventure. Instead they get into the biker gang crap and a bunch of silly bathroom humor. The gay highway patrolman gig... .huh? It could have been a good thing. Instead, it was stupid.

Here you go...... ever see one of these hanging on a Goldwing?

The famous "Get Back Whip." I see these all the time on geezer's HD bikes. Like they are gonna use something like that. lol

American Chopper is mild compared to the biker 1% reality crap currently being played in the media.

There are millions of us touring the country, spending money and having some rather interesting adventures as we check out this great country. It is just not TV worthy.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I know your right....However, I think thats the image that sells. We may be the only people that would prefer to see an epic journey throughout this beautiful nation.

This may make you feel better.....I was talking to our resource officer recently about bikers and he said, Harley's and other Loud Pipe bikes are the one's that get the negative wrap. Goldwings and Sport-tourers seem to get a different respect.

He could have been telling me what I want to hear.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
The 1%ers number's are down and they are getting old. By getting in the media they are trying to boost their numbers again with "wannabes'". Back in the 70's when the bikie element was strong, all riders were tarred with the same brush. I was doing a tour two up in the 70's and stopped to get gas and the service attended call the cops. The copper wanted to know what I was doing and where I was going. Nowadays I have found it to be the opposite reaction. Most want to engage you to hear about your trip and where you are going. That has been a big difference in my riding experience here in Australia. People seem to know the difference most time's. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
if a woman is property in a m/c club she is either club property or property of a member in the club. she does not pay dues, does not have a voice in how the club is run, is not allowed at club meetings cannot go to another clubs party without a male full patched member of her club and must leave when or before the full patch male member does

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Sometimes I think you guys get excited for little reason.

A couple observations.
1) TV programming is in a lot of ways mindless & in such appeals to mindless comprehension.
2) Let's face facts. Controversy & mahem will bring higher ratings then a group of guys eating breakfast in a Bob Evans
3) Images are very tough thing to break no matter what topic they are about.

Now my personal responses to these points are simple.
1) An Ole Fossil watches American Chopper, Meat Men & Deadliest Catch. Do I think they are all on the up & up? Absolutely not. I would say at least half of what goes on is B.S. Is it entertaining? Oh Yeah. Is it sensationalism for ratings? You bet. I still watch because at the end of the day I'm ready for some mindless visual nonsense.
2) Now I would not say I don't like being part of the Bob Evans breakfast crew but having been there with 4 others from the forum. We didn't even draw the attention of our waitress much more than the service she provided. Having said that if Charlie would have started yelling, Doc & Lee smashed some plates, then the cops came & hauled Fossil off in handcuffs then everyone would have been talking at the restaurant.
3) You don't see many Truckers being asked to attend Harvard. Although I'm sure there are many very intelligent ones out there.

One last thing is no disrespect Larry but Wild Hogs is funny plain & simple (at least to me). What a boring movie it would be to follow a couple of Goldwingers going to National Parks, coffee shops & restaurants.

There are several movies that when they're on I just leave them on. That's one; Caddyshack, Holy Grail, Vacation, & Die Hard are some of the others.

Again mindless entertainment.

In closing lighten up guys it's TV.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.:rolleyes:;):D

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Leave it to the media,they will tell what they want to tell, and the way they want to tell it it. For the most part I have little respect for them.
I'm gonna quit here before I get going.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts

A couple observations.
1) TV programming is in a lot of ways mindless & in such appeals to mindless comprehension.
2) Let's face facts. Controversy & mahem will bring higher ratings then a group of guys eating breakfast in a Bob Evans

1) An Ole Fossil watches American Chopper, Meat Men & Deadliest Catch. Do I think they are all on the up & up? Absolutely not. I would say at least half of what goes on is B.S. Is it entertaining? Oh Yeah. Is it sensationalism for ratings? You bet. I still watch because at the end of the day I'm ready for some mindless visual nonsense.
2) Now I would not say I don't like being part of the Bob Evans breakfast crew but having been there with 4 others from the forum. We didn't even draw the attention of our waitress much more than the service she provided. Having said that if Charlie would have started yelling, Doc & Lee smashed some plates, then the cops came & hauled Fossil off in handcuffs then everyone would have been talking at the restaurant.
3) You don't see many Truckers being asked to attend Harvard. Although I'm sure there are many very intelligent ones out there.

One last thing is no disrespect Larry but Wild Hogs is funny plain & simple (at least to me). What a boring movie it would be to follow a couple of Goldwingers going to National Parks, coffee shops & restaurants.

There are several movies that when they're on I just leave them on. That's one; Caddyshack, Holy Grail, Vacation, & Die Hard are some of the others.

As different as we are, we enjoy some of the same things. I agree with you about Discovery's programming. I am on that and the History Channel most of the time.

I enjoyed Wild Hogs too. Don't get me wrong.... I just thought that story could have had some intelligent humor and adventure rather than that stupid biker war theme. That was horrible and it could of had some better script for sure. They didn't have to get in a fist fight with some bikers to make the show enjoyable. Those particular actors could make a chess tournament funny.

Regardless, I will never ride a bull, so we are different. That said, we both can recognize what comes out of the back end of one.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts

A couple observations.

Harvard......no way....I turned down Harvard for Yale! :rolleyes:

Mark

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose what bothers me about it is NOT the fact that we can look at these shows and say that it is just TV sensationalism, but rather I get concerned for those that aren't as "edumacated" and believe that all riders/bikers are part of the culture being sensationalized.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
I suppose what bothers me about it is NOT the fact that we can look at these shows and say that it is just TV sensationalism, but rather I get concerned for those that aren't as "edumacated" and believe that all riders/bikers are part of the culture being sensationalized.
Anyone who would take the time to converse with you my friend would know right of the hop they were talking to a good person & that you don't fit that mold.

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
So called "reality" shows are anything but real. What is real is the money they make out of such drivel. What ever floats yer boat I reckon.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Anyone who would take the time to converse with you my friend would know right of the hop they were talking to a good person & that you don't fit that mold.
Yes take a second and they will see the great look on my face and they will know I am a biker and a nice 1 at that, I was even waved to by two little boys and their mom the other day as they said hi motorcycle man have a nice day. Yes the next bunch of bikers in 18 years.:D

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Now I would not say I don't like being part of the Bob Evans breakfast crew but having been there with 4 others from the forum. We didn't even draw the attention of our waitress much more than the service she provided. Having said that if Charlie would have started yelling, Doc & Lee smashed some plates, then the cops came & hauled Fossil off in handcuffs then everyone would have been talking at the restaurant Now I dont see that every going on we would eat first to make sure the plate was clean like mom said when we were small.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
hey it helps me pick up women

·
Registered
828 Posts
Bottom line is the image sells. It wouldn't go far if everyone was sporting a jacket that says "YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A HONDA", would it.
Strat

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I think it would be a heck of a stretch for someone to think of a Wing rider as an outlaw biker ! We don't fit the mold in any way and if you notice a majority of the Harley clubs members wouldn't come close either . I think really the public percieves a harley rider in leather with dirty jeans and smelling like a dog to be a b_d a_ s when the reality is he is no more dangerous than the little guy in the corner with his laptop !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts