Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I have a 2021 DCT Tour and I use both the onboard and a Garmin zumo XT. I did the same on my 2006 and 2017 both with Nav.
The problem with the onboard nav on the 21 is you can't look for a gas station while on the move. And you can't search by name. WTF, a $3500 GPS where you can't search by name.
Don't want either of the phone based navs.

· Registered
2023 DCT Tour
15 Posts
I’m using Apple Car Play. The toggle function using the left hand switch is a bit wonky but it’s important for me to be able to use Waze. Sure is nice to see the location of road debris, potholes and police (when input by other users).

-Ollie

Reactions: dshane

· Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Tour, candy ardent red
461 Posts
The problem with CarPlay, because the only map apps that work is Apple Maps and Google Maps, is you cannot create a route…like you can with the onboard nav. CarPlay is nice for notifications of accidents and construction. Auto zoom does not work properly in either CarPlay or the Honda nav. If I’m navigating somewhere on a desired route, I create the route and download it to the nav. If I’m not using a unique route and Apple Maps gives me an acceptable route, or I’m following others, then I may use that. But I frequently zoom in and out so I use the Honda nav in the manual zoom mode.

· Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I ask is because I took my first 290 mile ride last weekend and I found the Honda Nav to be Ok at best but outdated and “clunky”. I just yesterday got Apple Car play to work so I’ll try Waze next but i think if I were going on more than a day trip, several days to a couple of weeks on the road, I think I’m going to want a stand-alone unit… looks like Garmin Zumo XT is the preferred device. Thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
461 Posts
I just looked at Waze and there are lots of complaints.

· Registered
461 Posts
Plus I just don’t want something else to distract me when I already have the Honda nav for that! In all seriousness, with the capability to create trips using Trip Planner and manually zooming, I think the Honda nav works fine. Like all systems, it has it’s quirks….

· Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,783 Posts
Because the onboard nav in my 2012 is NOT user friendly I listen to Google maps from my phone and watch the bigger map on the bike. Now if I could install a touch screen device in the bike where the nav screen is that was as easy to use as my phone then I would be a happy camper. Having to toggle to each letter in my destination with the onboard just sucks. I did a 500 miler last summer this way and it worked very well. My only hiccup was the phone ran low on power so I had to stop and plug it in.

· Premium Member
154 Posts
You can blame all of Honda's lawyers for not having a touch screen on our bikes. They obviously think we don't have the ability to use the built-in navigation properly. Sure there are people who are dumb enough to try, but hopefully they are in the minority. Since common sense went out the window in our legal system Honda doesn't have much of a chance against judges and juries without it.

· Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because the onboard nav in my 2012 is NOT user friendly I listen to Google maps from my phone and watch the bigger map on the bike. Now if I could install a touch screen device in the bike where the nav screen is that was as easy to use as my phone then I would be a happy camper. Having to toggle to each letter in my destination with the onboard just sucks. I did a 500 miler last summer this way and it worked very well. My only hiccup was the phone ran low on power so I had to stop and plug it in.
I found a post I made about 10 years ago on this forum saying/asking about installing a gps where the nav screen is. I honestly don’t want another device but I’ll try a few different t things first and maybe just use a mounted gpa for longer trips

· Registered
27 Posts
I typically use my phone for navigation, I never have to worry about if the maps are outdated or the device needs an update. I never cared for onboard integration. Because at some point it will no longer be updated and you are beholden to the manufacturer to update or an authorized 3rd party. I can appreciate the integration, into the vehicle, I just don't find it as useful. I do get it, you have to keep your phone updated too and you would be right, but I have to do that ANYWAYS.

· Registered
2021 Goldwing Bagger, 2007 GasGas EC300
86 Posts
Because I do LD Rallying my needs are a little unusual.

I run 2 Garmin RV890s (Primary and backup). I don't use the Honda Nav system at all. It's outdated and frankly a PIA to use. I run Apple Car Play via the cord, although I am going to switch to a CarLinKit Bluetooth device to wirelessly connect the iPhone to the bike. I'll still use a quadlock to mount and charge the phone.

In ACP, I run apple maps for point to point navigation because it updates with traffic conditions. I can run Waze and google maps in the background at the same time too if I need to. The sound goes through the bike's system to my helmet (wife hears everything too.) The sound from the GPSs audio and the Valentine 1 audio goes through a MixIt2 unit that allows priority inputs then the output goes into the bike's aux input. Only downfall with using aux input, is you can't use the aux with the radio or satellite. I load enough music on my iPhone and just stream that.

· Registered
461 Posts
Again, the big advantage that the Honda nav has is that you can create whatever route you want to follow and download it. For instance, we went to Key West last summer. The maps available in CarPlay all took us down I-95 which we didn’t want to do. So I created a route that was not on the interstate. As far as I know you can’t do that with other map apps.

1,206 Posts
Yeah pre 2018 GWs are a different color
I’m 2005, so I’m pre-navigation all together. I’ve used Garmin for years. A 7” nuvi has served me well. But I got a Christmas deal on an XT and will be changing to that this year. The XT is smaller, so we’ll see how it goes. I’m one of those guys that traveled with only paper maps, for a very long time.

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
i'm still using an old zumo 660lm, one on the Wing and one on the Mighty ST 1300. the GSA has BMW nav 4 i think

· Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again, the big advantage that the Honda nav has is that you can create whatever route you want to follow and download it. For instance, we went to Key West last summer. The maps available in CarPlay all took us down I-95 which we didn’t want to do. So I created a route that was not on the interstate. As far as I know you can’t do that with other map apps.
Michael what do you use to creat your route?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts