Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I'm asking this question is that I have always rode sport bikes with your helmet in the clear. I'm new on my wing and as it is I'm looking over it on the lowest setting by about 2'' or 3''. The wind sometimes makes helmet noise as I wear a full face helmet. If I take the visor off it's quite. I have considered a tall shield but am not sure if looking through it would distort my view. My bike is a 86 GL1200 so I'm not sure if the models change things ether. Thanks. earthpig....

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Good question as I have nearly posted the exact same inquiry recently. I am new to the wing and in the past I too have looked over my windscreen. I had a sport screen on a Beemer and kinda enjoyed the wind pressure. Time changes things and now I ride my wing, I have a full face helmet, and with the screen in the lowest position I am looking just over the screen if I sit rather upright and look thru the very top of it if I slouch a bit. I am still experimenting, I have just passed the 950 mile mark, and I have raised the windscreen little by little until now I am looking thru the screen at all times. As of now I prefer this and for me distortion is not a factor. NOTE... I have not ridden in rain nor have I ridden at night.

Curious to see other responses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey DonaldLL. Thanks for the input. I have about 3000 miles on it and have moved it to the up setting but it's a standard shield and I'm Looking right at the transition point. Would hate to buy a tall shield and not like it. I'm all ears :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
With my 3/4 helmet and no face shield, I want to look through the windshield in all weather, but near the top so I can raise up a bit and look over it in case it fogs or gets too wet in rain. It needs to stop the bugs and gravel before my face does.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Well, again I speak only for myself here but looking thru the screen poses no problem as far as distortion. It does take a little getting used to or some 'acceptance' of this new configuration if you are accustomed to looking over the windscreen like both you and I are/were.

Now that being said it sounds like you are tall enough such that you have no option to look thru the screen in your normal riding posture. If purchasing the tall screen would give you a choice where you could either see over your screen or raise it just a bit and look thru it, well that's the best of both worlds. Since we all have an abundance of cash with nothing else to do with it, I'd see if I could verify the viewing options for someone your height and buy the tall screen if it offers you the choice I mentioned. At 5'6", I can't offer you any help on that!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
earthpig, X-Tall Slipstreamer for this ole fossil & have no issues & prefer to have the screen to look through.:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
" Over " the windshield as much as the riding conditions will permit for me. I'm an open face helmet rider with just my transition bifocals on. I met a fellow Saturday who had a new F4 Windshield that was an extra 4 in. tall. Nice shield and the view through it was impressive. I'm just not ready, however, to give up my " over view " option. Out of courtesy for my passenger I usually shield up for the highway ride to increase her comfort level . You sound like a candidate for a 2 in. over stock shield. The last thing you want is the top rim aligned with your line of sight.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i look over the windshield but if i remove my gelpad i look through it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the guys that look through theirs, are there times when the sun hits it just right you have a hard time with clarity. My bike is older and has no auto adjustments so that could be a problem. My shield is due for replacing and as it is if I look through it with all the scratches it's not that clear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I only look through mine when it is very cold. Face shield on the helmet up. I like the wind.

"ONLY A BIKER KNOWS WHY DOGS STICK THEIR HEADS OUT THE WINDOWS OF CARS"

·
Registered
81 Posts
I quit looking over the windshield about two years ago when it took 4 stiches to close the gash in the middle of the forehead. Rocks and large bugs do not go up and over with the air flow. Its only a matter of time till its your turn. We all know that gambling does not pay. I out grew the head buffeting too. No face shield to contend with either, just a nice pair of solar sun glasses.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm a through.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2010 Wing. Replaced stock shield with a F4 +4" with vent shortly after I bought it. I am tall and the noise and the helmet buffeting with the stock shield in the highest position drove me nuts. I look through the F4 and I like it a lot. No more noise, wind buffeting and I have had no problem with glare from the sun. Only drawback with the F4 is it's pricey. Rain sheds off the F4 very nicely also.
Rob

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I look through the one on my 1500, it stock height and I'm 5'4" tall. Best part is when it rains I can duck down further behind it to avoid getting wet (except when stopped).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I purchased a Slipstreamer windshield this summer from JC. Whitney. I am happy with it but would prefer to have ordered the extra length one so I could sit up straight and just look through it!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
To the guys that look through theirs, are there times when the sun hits it just right you have a hard time with clarity. My bike is older and has no auto adjustments so that could be a problem. My shield is due for replacing and as it is if I look through it with all the scratches it's not that clear.
E.P. I've never had that issue, as far as clarity goes. I mean if the suns really bright it's the same as it is in a car, you need your sunglasses but no clarity change & remember mine is a Slipstreamer laid back style like the Tulsa. Supposedly the F4's like Rob said are really awesome albeit expensive.

On another note with the sun. The Little Lady & I got new HJC IS-33's this summer with the built in sunvisors & they're worth every penny. Actually hardly ever wear regular sunglasses anymore while riding.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
as most windshields get older they develop stress crack and haze. the sun reflecting off the stress cracks can be blinding and you need to replace the shield and i use kit scratch remover to clean the haze

·
Registered
19 Posts
My '03 has an extra high shield and I look through about 3"-4" down from the top. The shield is very clear and no scratches so I do not even see it. The radio is easy to hear, no wind chatter on the helmet, nice and quite. I have never had a problem with the sun. Nice to ride with a open face helmet, nice pair of okleys and the sun in your face. Be safe..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like the throughs have it. Never had a problem with sun glare that good glasses couldn't handle. What is an F-4 windshield?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am to short to look over the windscreen.
If/when the windscreen develops cracks or the clarity disappears Then I will replace my windscreen.
I do polish mine to protect it.

dd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts