Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While browing the various sites that sell Wing accessories, I see every one of them carries some kind of belly pan. Do I need one? If so, the aluminum or stainless steel one? Vented or not? Looks like they install pretty easily?

Also how do you remove the driver speaker grills? They have bugs or something on the inside. I have got to get a service manual!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
You only need a belly pan if you expect a large rock or similar to crash into the underside of your bike. I don't have one.....if a large rock rips a hole in my pan, I WILL be Sad.

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
The belly pan is more to protect the plastic radiator overflow bottle, although it helps protect everything under there. I installed the vented one and be sure to wear gloves. Even though I was being very careful I still got cut a few times from the sharp edges. Some have commented that is helps in high cross winds but I'm not sure about that.

The bugs in the speakers may be cleaned up with a gentle water spray. They seem to disappear when I wash the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I've got the vented stainless pan, but it's on the garage shelf for the last year now. It may find it's way back onto the bike this winter. That overflow bottle is pretty vulnerable.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
A belly pan is a $50 insurance policy. You don't need one until you do , and even that is no guarantee against that one in a million chunk To remove the speaker grills you must pull off the top meter panel The grills are bent tabbed from the inside.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
I had one on my 1500 and now on my 1800. It's the stainless vented model. Like Lee said, insurance...

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
That's pretty common Jim, two piece with dzus fasteners.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had all intentions of ordering one when I recently bought my 05 wing/trike as one of those, "you never know if you'll need it" options. Glad to say when I looked under the trike, one was installed already! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's up to you. Besides preventing some dings, adding a belly pan is not that important. It will decrease your ground clearance if you have a tendency to scrape the lowers. One guy destroyed his just going over a large speed bump at slow speed when the Wing bottomed out. As far as making the Wing less susceptible to crosswind is ludicrous. I think of a belly pan in the bling catagory.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The belly pan 'should' deflect road debris away from that exposed overflow bottle, but it won't stop 900# + rider(s) from crunching things in a bottom out situation on a curb etc. Question you have to ask is why were you dropping off/over a curb etc in the first place?:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
The belly pan 'should' deflect road debris away from that exposed overflow bottle, but it won't stop 900# + rider(s) from crunching things in a bottom out situation on a curb etc. Question you have to ask is why were you dropping off/over a curb etc in the first place?:eek:
Unfortunately, my bank has a drop at its entrance that bottoms me every time. I have tried many ways, angles and speeds to unsuccessfully avoid it. I would have torn up quite a few belly pans. Maybe I should change banks.

·
Registered
739 Posts
As to the statement "As far as making the Wing less susceptible to crosswind is ludicrous. " If you study the air flow on the vented belly pan at 70 mph in a wind tunnel it makes a HUGE differance in the down force of the motorcycle and therefore makes it more stable in a cross-wind! This was done in a friends wind tunnell with cross fans. Differance was REMARKABLE and is really noticable when I ride on open roads.

·
Registered
654 Posts
As to the statement "As far as making the Wing less susceptible to crosswind is ludicrous. " If you study the air flow on the vented belly pan at 70 mph in a wind tunnel it makes a HUGE differance in the down force of the motorcycle and therefore makes it more stable in a cross-wind! This was done in a friends wind tunnell with cross fans. Differance was REMARKABLE and is really noticable when I ride on open roads.
Ha ha. Ok. I'd like to see the wind tunnel tests. Trust me, you arent going to change the aerodynamic profile of the Wing much by adding anything. You're also the guy running the Wing with secret engine mods (i.e. programmable chip) you won't share, correct?

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Ha ha. Ok. I'd like to see the wind tunnel tests. Trust me, you arent going to change the aerodynamic profile of the Wing much by adding anything. You're also the guy running the Wing with secret engine mods (i.e. programmable chip) you won't share, correct?
Speaking of test.....Its about time for some more DooKoo test video:)

·
Registered
739 Posts
The modifications on my Wing were done by Honda of America when ordered for the Police Dept. I can look at the tune but can not change it! There are three others in my area that are set up the same way and the Birmingham PD has some of the fastest Wings around. This much I can tell you, My buddies 08 will not even hang with mine. As to the wind test we measured the lateral force in a number of cross wind situations (ie wind velocity) and the bike did not pull side to side as much with the belly pan. Kind of like adding flaps to the wing of an airplane, It makes a world of difference!

·
Registered
654 Posts
The modifications on my Wing were done by Honda of America when ordered for the Police Dept. I can look at the tune but can not change it! There are three others in my area that are set up the same way and the Birmingham PD has some of the fastest Wings around. This much I can tell you, My buddies 08 will not even hang with mine. As to the wind test we measured the lateral force in a number of cross wind situations (ie wind velocity) and the bike did not pull side to side as much with the belly pan. Kind of like adding flaps to the wing of an airplane, It makes a world of difference!
The police Goldwing ecu is the same as stock. There is no special part number for a Honda 'Police' ecu. I know you wish us to believe you but it was you who had us on a wild goose chase over a year ago with silly links to bogus engine mods? The Honda ST Police bikes as well as the Kawasaki Police bikes also use the stock ecu. Police bikes aren't special except for their paint. You say the belly pan adds downforce too?!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Stock ecu can be reprogramed too!! The program inside it can be changed! Have you never been to a drag strip and watched import drivers tune their cars with a laptop? Stock ecu is programable to whatever you want in it! As to the downforce, it creates a vacuum that helps pull the bike down thus making it more stable. I will not argue with you about it any more. All I can say is "NEVER TRY TO OUTRUN MINE"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.