Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nevada has been hit hard with the budget woes, so they're trying to raise more money off registration. My 06 just cost me three hundred. Thats almost as much as when it was new. In addition I was seven days late and now the penalties are daily. Cost me an extra fifty. Any other states out there raising their rates on you?

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
My 08 was purchased by the original owner in February 09 and paid all the sales and Virginia taxes at time of purchase. He sells the bike to me in November 09 and I hand the DMV over near $500 based on the sale price to register it in my name. That's double dipping.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, thats another thing they started doing. They put the taxes at the original cost of the vehicle instead of sales cost.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
You Nevadians have two cities to support your state: Las Vegas and Reno . Pahrump probably adds some, but I would imagine most of the business transactions there are done in cash. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henderson probably helps more than Pahrump. Las Vegas raises more money for the state due to gambling than reno. But reno is where the politicians are at, so is most of the money spent. Clark county has the third largest school distric in the nation but is in the bottom three for school budget.

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
Oklahoma does the same, charges sales tax and excise tax,I sell the bike to a friend, and he pays excise tax again, not on selling price but price that is on the title,and on and on and on. Not fair.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Washington pulls the same sh** when you buy a vehicle. They don't go off the actual sales price, but charge you sales tax on high book value.
We voted in an annual vehicle license fee of $30.00 four or five years ago, it lasted one year. They have been adding anything they can think of to raise the fees. My last license fee was over $60.00.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Vehicle tax at the DMV is assessed from the sale price. The seller could have put any " reasonable " sale price in the title box, but he put the full $18,000 price in the Transfer Title box. Just my luck, the SOB worked for the IRS.

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
In Mississippi our vehicle tag is assessed by the value of the vehicle. They use a blue book value every year so it is quite a few years before the cost of the annual tag starts going down. Our moderate priced cars are 300 to 400 for the tag the first year. Time of purchase there is a sales tax also. Our property taxes are very reasonable here but they hit you somewhere and more people have vehicles than property.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Sounds like most of you are getting the royal one. My truck together with both bikes is under $300 annually, with the truck being the highest. My biggest gripe is you have to buy license for a full year and I can ride maybe 6 mos. I sometimes wait for April when I start riding, but it only saves me about $10 a bike so it's easier to do it all in January through AMA online.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My liberal blue state thinks they need to spend more money so two things are up for them to get more money. Raise my income tax and/or gas tax. How about cut back on spending and leave the workers alone. I get grumpy when I can't ride.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
What you said!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't get me started on IRS and Texas is too far east except to visit. When I retire I'm going back to Arizona. I've heard now they do registration for two years. Anyone now in Arizona that can verify that?

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Don't get me started on IRS and Texas is too far east except to visit. When I retire I'm going back to Arizona. I've heard now they do registration for two years. Anyone now in Arizona that can verify that?
I'll call my mom later and ask.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Parents live in Phoenix. They have an 09 Honda Odyssey van. Right now they pay about $400/ year for the privilege to drive it around. There is no so called " Property " tax, but as Mom says, " They get either at the front door or the back door ". Now living and shopping within the city limits of Sun City they do not pay taxes on food items.

·
Registered
718 Posts
When I first started riding, my license plate cost me something like $16/yr. The state then added $4 to it for rider education course funding. Sometime in the last 30 years, my tag went to around $47 for my bikes and $50 and some change for our cars. But then our roads show it, as many holes as Swiss cheese. Add in all the other taxes, well don't get me started!

·
Registered
20 Posts
We pay around £70/year here in the uk and you can split that in half if you only buy for 6 months at a time and declare your bike (or car!) off the road for the time it's not licensed.

On the down side petrol (gas) is around the £1.30 per litere (£4.86 or roughly $7.78 per US Gallon!!).

And don't get me started on property tax (around $200 per month!) and income tax (20% up to 40k then 40% up to 150k). Add in social security at 10% upto 40k and 1% beyond and its soon a dang expensive place to live!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Just aint enough of us to vote for anything better :mad: Im soooo sick of government....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.