Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new 2010 Goldwing September 24, 2010 and for my first trip on it I went to Savannah GA. I took my motorcycle to the Southeast Motorcycle Superstore in Garden City GA for its first oil change on September 27, 2010. The sales staff was friendly and as a result I bought a motorcycle cover for from them.
On November 3, 2010 I took my bike to my local dealer to have it winterized and found the person that serviced my motorcycle in Georgia did not replace the crush washer, that person wrapped Teflon tap around the drain plug and over tightened the drain plug causing the threads to be damaged. They caused me to do a $235.00 repair to the drain plug threads on a brand new motorcycle that has fewer than 5000 kilometers on it.
On November 10, 2010 I called the Southeast Motorcycle Superstore to speak to the owner or a manager about this and they never returned my call.
I called the dealership and finally spoke to the parts manager who assured me that he would personally look into my complaint and as a result I sent him the quote to repair the motorcycle. The repair was in the neighbourhood of $235.00.
After not hearing back from the dealership I called back the dealership during the second week of December speaking with the parts manager again who acted surprised that no one had gotten back to me. He told me that he would look into it himself and will return my call.
I never heard back but as Christmas was just around the corner I never called back till January 11, 2011. Again I spoke to the parts manager who told me that there was a meeting with the owner and other staff members and they were refusing to repair my motorcycle.
The parts manager told me that he would try again and speak to the owner to see what he could do but as with all the other times no one from Southwest Motorcycle had the decency to call me back.
Here is part of Southeast Motorcycles Webpage (note the last line): www.southeastmotorcycle.com
Located in Garden City, GA, just outside of Savannah, SouthEast Motorcycle proudly serves the greater Savannah area, Statesboro, Hinesville and the rest of Southeast GA as well as Hilton Head Island and the surrounding areas in South Carolina. No matter where you're from, our passionate staff is ready to meet your motorcycle needs. Check out SouthEast Motorcycle - you will not be disappointed.
I guess the part about not being disappointed only refers to their bottom line and not repairing the customers Motorcycles that they break when their so called qualified technicians do the first servicing on a brand new 2010 Goldwing.
I am suggesting that if you are in the Garden City, Ga. area and in need of service on your motorcycle avoid this dealership at all costs for fear of your motorcycle being damaged. They will not step up, admit mistake and will not take the necessary steps to make things right.
I would not recommend this dealership to anyone.

I remember while speaking to the parts manager the last time he did state to me that he wanted to make it right and asked me what it would take. I naturally said I wanted my motorcycle fixed but he said we could possibly send me a new drain plug and cruch washer.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i would contact honda and file a complaint

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm betting the owner doesn't know anything about it.
Call once more and see if you can get connected with the owner, or get a number to call the owner.
Don't tell what it's about-just tell them you need to speak to the owner.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Forgot to ask: What did your local dealer do that would cost $235?
Only "repair" I could think of would be chasing the threads w/a tap.
That may be why SouthEast is refusing to pay! You may have been "had" by your local Stealer?????

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I agree with William. Contact Honda and lodge your complaint with them. Dealing with the dealer over the phone will not produce any results. Your in Canada and they are in Ga. What incentive do they have to compensate you. It's not like you will stop giving them your business. And sometimes information shared on forums like this tend to be viewed by some as just one person compalining. So go directly to Honda and at least make them aware of the issue. Good luck and let us know if you hear anything back...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Chasing threads not proper repair. Drain plug hole would need to be helicoiled and this is not cheap. As to why threads pulled out in first place is must likley due to cross-threaded when reinstalled. Could possibly be fixed with oversized drain plug but on a new bike I would raise so much HELL they would fix it just to shut me up. Plus I would send a certified letter to them explaining who my lawer is and just what I planned for him to do about it. This kind of service is what brought us at The House of Horsepower to become involved in the service and maintaince of all motorcycles. Nothing is better than a Happy customer!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issue with the plug. TWW is likely right about the cross border issue, but there are things you can do to put pressure on them that should end up with resolving it. Call Honda's Customer Relations and lodge a complaint with them: 1 888 946 6329(Canada). Then there is also a US division that should be contacted since the offending dealership was located in Georgia: 1 866 784 1870. Honda is very committed to seeing that their dealerships have glowing reputations and will certainly follow up on seeing you satisfied. You may have to be somewhat firm if you are to succeed, but it should happen. Just remember that there is a difference in being firm and being belligerent. Good luck to you, and welcome to GWOF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding being had by my local dealer. I do not believe I was had by my local dealer, I disagree as I have dealt with him for over twenty five years and bought six motorcycles from him. I have had the same mechanic do all my work at the dealership since I started going there.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As a machinist I can tell you that even if he installed a helicoil it sounds very expensive, but what isnt expensive when it comes to Gold Wings!!

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
That's a poorly trained tech that did that. I may not be the brightest bulb in the package and even I know that the 'Crush Washer' gets replaced every oil change. I'd certainly make a lot of noise with Honda, up to the point where I get a new engine or engine case. Who ever the tech is from the Georgia dealership he needs to return to school. Ridicules and there are decent motorcycle techs out of work who know their job.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Regarding being had by my local dealer. I do not believe I was had by my local dealer, I disagree as I have dealt with him for over twenty five years and bought six motorcycles from him. I have had the same mechanic do all my work at the dealership since I started going there.
I didn't say you were "had" by your dealer. I simply asked and still would like to know what was done that cost $235.00
Never thought about a helicoil! Is that what was done?
If so, how did they make sure they didn't get any shavings inside?
Just wanting to learn.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I didn't say you were "had" by your dealer. I simply asked and still would like to know what was done that cost $235.00
Never thought about a helicoil! Is that what was done?
If so, how did they make sure they didn't get any shavings inside?
Just wanting to learn.
thanks

Helicoil is safe to install if you drill very slowly and use some grease. It will catch most all the chips. By virtue of a tap, chips by nature will retract out the front of the hole. gravity helps as well.
The danger is when you quickly or forcefully push thru and exit the back side of the hole. If you are patient towards the end, you will feel it free up and then remove it. The grease will help bring it out.
At worst, a couple of aluminum shavings won't kill an engine but I would try like heck not to let one in and even if I tho't I had them all, I would change filters after a couple hundred miles.

This shouldn't take more than an hour to perform plus 10 for the helicoil itself. I could see them tacking on an extra hour for paperwork, set up, oil and filter with that cost too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What is wrong with using the next oversize plug??? Works just fine in other gasoline machines. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Nothing wrong with tapping the hole up to the next size. It would work.

I would want it to remain stock simply to avoid the appearance of a defect when I eventually sold it.

I helicoil works as good as new in fact, claims to be stronger than original.

One other note. This is coarse thread and diffecult to cross thread.
The probable scenerio was over torquing the bolt. It isn't hard with a 3/8 inch driver or or torque wrench. It is feasible to think he turned it clock wise when he started the job and nearly ripped out the threads. Aluminum wouldn't give much resistance with this much leverage. I can see it holding until the next torqing.

You got a raw deal and I don't blame you for being angry. And when I am angry, I want someone to pay. But the person you talked to has no evidence to prove they own this problem either. For all they know, the event happened to you back home and you are pinning it on them. Not saying it happened that way but most businesses won't admit failure without proof. You have proof an event took place but it would be hard to prove when or where it happened. They can claim something took place inbetween these events at the 2 dealerships and you could not disprove that either. I don't know many individuals or businesses that would pay out without knowing for sure what happened.

I would call Honda and hope for resolution but expect nothing and move on. Trashing this dealership may not be totaly fair to them. The suit in the office really can't determine if they did it or not. In any case, this tech might be down the road by now and by avoiding this dealership, you just as likely might find him at the next stop.

Not trying to anger you, you are probably right. I just don't think there is a good resolution to this without proof. The only way to have that would have been to inspect it before you left.

A good lesson for us all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a machinist I can tell you that even if he installed a helicoil it sounds very expensive, but what isnt expensive when it comes to Gold Wings!!
I know it sounds expensive but in the scheme of things the parts for the repair is cheap but the killer is the labour. The qoute includes two hours for labour at $78.00, a new drain plug, crush washer the threaded insert and oil relpacement.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that this was not warrantied under the 3 year coverage. I stripped an acorn nut removing the trunk light assembly and my local Honda Dealer, from whom I didn't even buy the bike from, had to order a complete new mid-section for the trunk. Cost to me: $00.00

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I know it sounds expensive but in the scheme of things the parts for the repair is cheap but the killer is the labor. The quote includes two hours for labor at $78.00, a new drain plug, crush washer the threaded insert and oil replacement.
Thanks, I understand now.

I'm a bit surprised that this was not warrantied under the 3 year coverage. I stripped an acorn nut removing the trunk light assembly and my local Honda Dealer, from whom I didn't even buy the bike from, had to order a complete new mid-section for the trunk. Cost to me: $00.00
That's a dealer with the customer in mind. I can almost bet that warranty claim was one of those "under the radar" part replacements. I would be sure to use that dealer for many "things".

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is my feeling on a dealership who will not take responsibility for the mistakes made by their employees work:

If an authorized Honda dealer did work on the bike while it was under warranty, but refused to take responsibility" for their own mistake, would that not fall under the "small Claims" area of current law? After you fixed the problem yourself, or by someone else, get a statement from a certified motorcycle mechanic that the only way it could have been stripped was by the installing dealer. File in small claims and let an independent judge make the determination as to who is legally responsible. You will only loose one day in court and if you win, they will have to pay the $25 filing fee. You should get the cost of the repair, and an amount {$} the judge determines that the mistake reduced the overall value of the bike. The judge will more than likely make you whole on all your losses.:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Return to which school? Sounds like he went to plumbers school.
GET A ROPE!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Chris, I think the crux of the issue for rotcart is the fact that he lives in Ontario and the problem occurred at a dealer in Georgia. I doubt (ok I'm not a legal beagle, but...) a small claims filing would cover cross border problems. The Georgia dealership should swallow this one and buck up for it. I don't believe that if they don't, that there is any point in slagging them, but it should be their responsibility to make ammends for their mistake. They are probably a very solid Honda shop, but this is no way to treat any customer, regardless of where they are from. As for your own peice of mind rotcart, I'd pay your own dealer (whom you do trust) and get the repair done. If you get compensated then great, if not, you have my sympathies for what happened elsewhere. We operate in a small community, and our reputation depends on the satisfaction of those we service, so should others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.