Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tell me about this display, and what could be causing it to go "BLANK".

Thinking if moister is having a effect on this. For the moment I meet the man during purchase, he told me for some reason, the display went blank, he said this happened twice before, but about four years ago. He said it happened when he got caught in the rain, and then when he was washing the bike to bring to me. He met me with the bike, run it maybe a hour or so bringing it to me. It was blank when I purchased the bike. When I left him after the purchase a minute down the road, the display lite up like it suppose to. Thinking that he heating up the engine on the ride, made it lite up.
Now, the reason I believe it's moister in the air causing this "BLANK". I keep the bike in my "Toy Shed" , no rain can get to it. Not only does it have a building to sleep in, I cover it up with a very nice cover. But it rained the other day and night. Lot of humidity in the air, this is Louisiana.
Go uncover the bike to ride, fire it up and "BLANK" screen. Run down the road 20 or so miles, and it lites back up. Something like the heat of the engine is warming it up or something.
Any suggestions on how to "fix" this, or how many has this happen to them on their wings.
I know it's not loose wires. Done checked into that.

This is on a '97 Aspencade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Did the gages stop working also. If so take a look at the tails lights, if they are not lit, it's more then likely Relay 3 starting to act up..
If the gages still worked, then I'd start by removing the dash and cleaning and re greasing the connectors.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but the 1500s, I have a 96 Aspencade did have trouble with the display. Mine also acts up and is also kept in the shed. Most every time I get it out the display either don't come on or the clock is several hours out of time, (like it had been disconnected while sitting in the shed). I did read that the 1500 had this problem since new. In fact Honda did a recall on the display for the 1500, but they say even when the recall was done, they still had the problem. Seems it is something they never were able to fix. If you do find the reason, would you e mail me? [email protected]

I would be very interested. I just had a really good electrical man go through mine, he found a pinched wire, fixed it, but that did not fix the problem with the display. Be thankful though, as the 1800, the display controls the radio system etc. No display, no radio etc.

Good luck, again if you find an answer, let me know please.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
The 1500's as stated did have a problem with the LCD display going blank after it got wet.

Here is a link for a fix to the problem.....also the clock issue.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500clockfix.htm

Hope this helps!!!

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies >>>>
..... two guns

1 - 6 of 6 Posts