Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for my first extended ride today, around 80 miles. I had my route set up in the GPS and everything went great. On the return trip home I didn't change the seting in the GPS and it was wanting to take me back on the route I went over on.

I pushed the voice guide/zoom in and out button thinking it would silence the old gal who kept telling me to make a u turn or recaculate. When I looked down the whole display was black, I pushed the display button and nothing happened. I pulled over to the side of the road and shut off the ignition and turned it back to ACC and evreything was normal, everything fine the reast of the way home.

Has anyone had this happen to them,I'm hoping it was a fluke and not my display getting ready to shoot craps, the bike only had 250 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I'd check the manual and see if there is anything in there. I know most GPS units don't like you playing with them while moving. This may be some kind of lockout... I don't have the Honda Nav so this JMHO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't just the GPS that went blank, I lost the whole display. I pushed the DISP button several times, plus all the other buttons just to see what happened, the radio station-odometer display should have appeared, it stayed blank. If it happens again I'll take it to the dealership, it's under the full warranty.

Something I don't like aout the display, it's impossible to view in bright sunlight. I tried switching to night mode like they say in the book but still couldn't see it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Don't recall having had anyone mention this before, and mine has never done it. I goofed and hit the dimmer once and had a time of it getting it reset (but I was new to the system then) but I managed without the manual in the trunk:rolleyes: I'll keep my ears open to the network and report back if I find out anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read both manuals front to back and can't find anything to explain why this might have happened. I hope to ride again this coming weekend, I'll be watching to see if it happens again, it still has almost the full warranty left.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I have had this happen...in the worst possible time. I figured out it was the connector on the back. When I pushed it for instructions, I must have caused the connector move just enough take the power supply off.

You may want to check that....Good Luck

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Something I don't like aout the display, it's impossible to view in bright sunlight. I tried switching to night mode like they say in the book but still couldn't see it.
There are some remedies suggested for that. One is tilting the screen angle with some shims ( moderate success by some ); the other is a polarized plastic film overlay on the screen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just re-read the manual on the zoom/voice guide button on the left handle bar and I think I solved the problem. If you are subscribed to the XM weather feature you hold the button in for two beeps and it brings up the weather screen.

I held the button in thinking it would silence the old gal in my ear and what it did was switch to the weather mode but because I haven't subscribed to the service I guess that is why I got the blank screen. If I would have held in the DISP button or MAP button for a couple seconds it would have returned to the normal screen.

Thanks for the input, I'm hoping problem solved.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hope so too jayhawk. I've e-mailed one of my tech buds about the '12 system so hopefully he comes through with some more info

·
Registered
20 Posts
THe same thing happened to me yesterday. I had just parked at the end of the driveway, put the side stand down, the engine killed because I was still in gear. I close the gate and take off after restarting. I look down at the screen and its blank. :mad:

Everything seemed to be working but the screen was blank. I take the long way to Radio Shack. I come out of the store and the bike starts without a problem and the screen is back. :) I still don't know what happened. :confused:

I searched the forum and most posts seem to point to low battery level which is probably what it was in my case because I just bought the bike on Monday.

I think because I was playing with radio settings, xm and preload setting, etc. without the engine running that the battery was probably a little rundown. Besides that the bike had been sitting for a while.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My '06 did this, turned out to be a bad Nav unit. Fortuneatly it was under warranty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts