Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The display on my 2012 goldwing is not working. It was working perfectly yesterday. However, when I started this morning it is freezing at the boot up screen. All the audio works ok but you I can't access any information including the navigation.

I disconnected the battery hoping it would do a reset but it is still the same. The bike is only a few months old.

Anyone experience anything similar?

John

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Could be a glitch in the software for the navi.
I'd return to the dealer as long as there's a warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is still under warranty. I am going to see the dealer tomorrow. However, I thought somebody might know of a system reset that may fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
There is a procedure to reset the Navi if no picture is displayed. I don't have a 2012 but the procedure for my 07 is this.
1. Remove the Navi unit (in the top case) but do not disconnect the connectors. Look for and locate a small hole that has the "Reset" button inside the case. A small round instrument like a broken off tooth pick will be used to press that "Reset" button.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON and wait approximately 20 seconds.
3. With your small blunt tool, reach into that hole and press the reset switch. and check the LCD condition. The software version screen should appear. If so, turn the key to OFF and then back to ON or Acc. and check for normal operation.
If the temps are cold, the display may stay dark for 2 or 3 minutes till it warms up.
The battery disconnect you did will reset the system but the GPS may not work for the first 4 to 10 minutes.(This can take as long as 45 minutes)

Those are the words out of the 07 Service Manual. Hope some of this helps but being under warranty should ease your mind. :) Isaac

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your advice. I have just spoken with the dealer and they have not heard of it before. I have booked it in for Wednesday. I will post the result when they have diagnosed the problem.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Would have said the same as Isaac did, but for sure let your dealer deal with it. Likely a boot-up thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The display on my 2012 goldwing is not working. It was working perfectly yesterday. However, when I started this morning it is freezing at the boot up screen. All the audio works ok but you I can't access any information including the navigation.

I disconnected the battery hoping it would do a reset but it is still the same. The bike is only a few months old.

Anyone experience anything similar?

John
In the last few months I have had my 2012 in for service due to a failing tire monitoring module. Each time they have also done an upgrade to the Navi system. So in the last 6 months there have been two updates to the Navi system. When you go in you may want to ask your dealer about updates.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Thanks guys for your advice. I have just spoken with the dealer and they have not heard of it before. I have booked it in for Wednesday. I will post the result when they have diagnosed the problem.
Any information from the dealer?

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is also one other possibility and am surprised I did not think of it before.. IF your dealer cannot find anything or it is not because you needed the latest firmware update and the problem persists, it could be something as simple as one of the two SD memory cards is either loose or going bad or has a bad connection. Memory and SD cards can cause computer boot failures, spontaneous system re-booting and more.

So if nothing comes of it, check both the SD cards and both slots.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
There is also one other possibility and am surprised I did not think of it before.. IF your dealer cannot find anything or it is not because you needed the latest firmware update and the problem persists, it could be something as simple as one of the two SD memory cards is either loose or going bad or has a bad connection. Memory and SD cards can cause computer boot failures, spontaneous system re-booting and more.

So if nothing comes of it, check both the SD cards and both slots.
So, the 12's have 2 SD cards instead of the 1 CF card that my 07 has? I did not know that...Learn something every day...Do they have the OS on one and the Maps on the other? :cool: Isaac

·
Registered
365 Posts
:eek: Is it just me? Or, are these latest products having more than usual problems? While the buy in goes up..it seems as if the quality goes down:confused:
I'm no where near even thinking about a new wing, but for the price..I would be very disappointed with all the issues I'm reading about! Not to say it's only Honda, but Harley with the heat issues..recalls and others as well, ..are we to expect this is just a fact of life for all our hard earned cash?:eek:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Temperature Related -

Hey Simo, One of the guys I sometimes ride with has a 2011 Goldwing that has had a couple of similar display boot-up issues as well. The dealer tried switching out several internal components and eventually the whole assembly. I think part of the final diagnosis was supposed to be a temperature related failure.

I'll give him a call to get more of the story...

Good Luck, Michael

·
Registered
66 Posts
So, the 12's have 2 SD cards instead of the 1 CF card that my 07 has? I did not know that...Learn something every day...Do they have the OS on one and the Maps on the other? :cool: Isaac

Yes one SD is the brains for the computer. The other card is for you to use for travel information, swapping routes with other riders and more.

One card is easily visible but the other is hidden below it under a rubber seal. I finally found it when I also was figuring out about the built in MP3 player and built in MP3 controls for the 2012 and how to use the panel and handlebar controls for that as well.

You can also do an automatic update via Garmin's site. Their website will 'read' your bikes SD card. However I think they are slow to update the site because I have already had two separate updates through the dealer which Garmin did not show.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:eek: Is it just me? Or, are these latest products having more than usual problems? While the buy in goes up..it seems as if the quality goes down:confused:
I'm no where near even thinking about a new wing, but for the price..I would be very disappointed with all the issues I'm reading about! Not to say it's only Honda, but Harley with the heat issues..recalls and others as well, ..are we to expect this is just a fact of life for all our hard earned cash?:eek:
Keep in mind that the 2012 is a complete re-design of the bike and overall, it is extremely solid. They also appear to be quickly updating the computer to fix any glitches. In fact other than the nav system, I have not heard of any other major issues with the 2012.

My nav works fine but I might be one of the few lucky ones too or it might be because I am current with updates. My bike has performed flawlessly including hauling a trailer carrying about 500-600 lbs all the way to Sturgis behind us.

And if you read my post about the trip I took this summer in another forum on this site you would find that I now swear by the 2012's new designed brake and ABS system because it saved my fiance's and my life on that trip as well.

Personally I find the 2012 a major improvement over any bikes of the last few years... MY opinion of course.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Simo, One of the guys I sometimes ride with has a 2011 Goldwing that has had a couple of similar display boot-up issues as well. The dealer tried switching out several internal components and eventually the whole assembly. I think part of the final diagnosis was supposed to be a temperature related failure.

I'll give him a call to get more of the story...

Good Luck, Michael

They did not make a 2011 model. You sure he does not have the 2010? Or perhaps a 2012 by chance?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi All,

Malakie was right. The Honda dealer went through all the recommendations but no luck. They eventually removed the sd card (trip planner) waited 10 minutes and replaced with the same card - bingo all working again. They had not had this happen before. The only problem they have had with the 2012 was one case of the audio system volume not operating. That bike was in at the same time as mine. They were going to fit a new audio system. So all is good.

Thanks guys for all your advice.

John

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi All,

Malakie was right. The Honda dealer went through all the recommendations but no luck. They eventually removed the sd card (trip planner) waited 10 minutes and replaced with the same card - bingo all working again. They had not had this happen before. The only problem they have had with the 2012 was one case of the audio system volume not operating. That bike was in at the same time as mine. They were going to fit a new audio system. So all is good.

Thanks guys for all your advice.

John

Glad it worked out.. I wish I would have remembered that before you went to the dealer though.. might have saved you the hassle.. This age thing is starting to creep up on me even though I am still a young 49! :rolleyes:

One other recommendation to anyone pulling those cards... make sure your power is OFF before you remove or insert the SD cards! The navi won't be affected but you can blow the actual SD card inserting it with power live because of the way the Navi system works.

Why Garmin did not setup the interface for SD cards like on computers I have no idea.

I found out the hard way.. I thought the SD interface was identical to a computer port for SD cards and did not bother to turn off power.. It wiped out my SD card!

I also started figuring out more about the interface since I have been writing software code to interface the goldwing to a home computer and/or smart phone to easily share data via the USB port. The idea being that you can download and upload data right from your smart phone, share trip planning and more without having to remove the SD cards at all..

Still working on it so no promises yet but I have all winter to see if I can get this working seamlessly and also user friendly to the point of anyone being able to use it without any problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.