Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jumped on Tatanka this afternoon to ride 125-130 mis. to rendezvous with The Hoon, his much better half, and BigDaddy in Austin, MN. After about an hour of riding, I had to call them to bow out of the adventure. Might have missed my only opportunity to see a Hoon in the flesh! Anyway, wish you both safe riding and many friendly encounters.

I've still got PTSD, Post Traumatic Sturgis Disorder, from having my :eek:ss pounded by the winds on that trip of 2 weeks ago. Now I have NO windshield, but I thought a full face helmet would handle it. After an hour with a death grip on the handle bars with buffeting side winds plus the headwind at road speed, I'd had enough; if I went on it would have been 3.5 hours more of it, the return part in the dark. At this moment, a thunderstorm is building here, so likely rain would have been part of the return, again with no windshield. Nope, used my judgement for a change and returned home to lay on the porch with my dish! I'll live to ride another day.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
We all understood Kevin, it would have been nice to meet you, but at least you and I are only a couple of hours apart, we should get together sometime and do some riding.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I understand the feeling well. And I don't handle it very well. Just take it that we will meet one day, somehow. I will await that day.
Eric

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update is that we DID have a modest thunderstorm tonight, so it really would have been tougher than I enjoy anymore. "A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Yes, I hope that we do meet on another occasion, Eric and Vanessa, perhaps Down Under!:D And yes, BigDaddy, we should rendezvous somewhere in the Mississippi River Valley, perhaps Wabasha, have a bite to eat, ride both sides a bit, and off we go.

I'm looking forward to more photos of Mr. & Mrs. Hoon's wild adventures across the U.S.! Hopefully, "mug shots" will not be part of the gallery!:eek::D

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you. But knowing when to beg out gives us chances to ride again another day.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Hope you get your new windshield soon Kevin. I know it was a great disappointment to you. Better days lie ahead good buddy.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
sorry to hear that you didn't get to meet the hoon and vanessa. see how spoiled we have gotten riding a wing, gotta have a windshield. i would have never said anything like that when i was younger

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoot, Doc, 20 years ago I wouldn't have cared if I had a full-face helmet, just a pair of wraparound shades!:D

Oh well, there is a great freedom to middle-older age: Know who you are; don't really care what anybody else thinks of me except my wife and kids; don't feel a need to prove myself to anybody. Freedom!

Enjoy my theme song:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
last year when i took the first test ride on a "10 wing my biggest complaint was that it didn't have a drivers back rest. this year when my club did there annual ride we stopped at a dealer to get a tire replaced for one of the guys. the salesman wanted to buy my wing and took me over to a '12 wing. i told him that i couldn't buy it cause it didn't have a drivers backrest :) who cared about such things 20yrs ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.