Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
i've been reading your post but reluctant to respond lemaj. i was hoping honda would do more with the new goldwing too but while waiting for an all new wing i still have two older ones to ride. to me you are missing out on too much riding by waiting, what if an all new wing insn't introduced for a couple more years or more

·
Administrator
26,182 Posts
The dr is good, the dr is wise. Life's way to short to be spent waiting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The dr is good, the dr is wise. Life's way to short to be spent waiting.
I dont know anything about marriage (divorced after 24 years), raising kids(7 boys), and life,,,,just got my scars like everyone else.....just passing along my crummy experiences....

buy a bike and ride it somewhere.....that has been my answer to most everything.......atleast it makes me smile alot:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got back from the Montreal Motorcycle show, where they had a 2012 on display. Obviously, I too was disappointed, because of what we thought the new model would be. Yes the back end tail lights and side bags look like they borrowed the design from Victory, but everything else remains pretty much the same, with some minor updates. I'm glad I bought my 2008, when the 2009's came out, and now it's probably good for at least another 4 -5 years before they change the design of the current 2012. This could work out really well, as that could be the time I'm looking to change. By the time I'm that age, the Bombardier touring model will be looking real good. In the short time they have been on the market, they have really come along ways.
Each to his own, but enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just got back from the Montreal Motorcycle show, where they had a 2012 on display. Obviously, I too was disappointed, because of what we thought the new model would be. Yes the back end tail lights and side bags look like they borrowed the design from Victory, but everything else remains pretty much the same, with some minor updates. I'm glad I bought my 2008, when the 2009's came out, and now it's probably good for at least another 4 -5 years before they change the design of the current 2012. This could work out really well, as that could be the time I'm looking to change. By the time I'm that age, the Bombardier touring model will be looking real good. In the short time they have been on the market, they have really come along ways.
Each to his own, but enjoy the ride.
Horgie
I see that they are selling a factory built trailer with that touring model (spyders). I see car tires are the way to go in the world of 3. You have any concern over horsepower and general size of engine for those trikes or whatever you want to call them? It certainly looks like a different approach to travel. There is a ton of cash behind this adventure and Bombardier does not seem to do anything half hearted.:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Horgie
I see that they are selling a factory built trailer with that touring model (spyders). I see car tires are the way to go in the world of 3. You have any concern over horsepower and general size of engine for those trikes or whatever you want to call them? It certainly looks like a different approach to travel. There is a ton of cash behind this adventure and Bombardier does not seem to do anything half hearted.:cool:
Mark, they had a Spyder top of the line touring model Spyder RT Audio & Convenience , on display at the show, with the matching trailer. Not cheap, but very impressive. Price competitive with Goldwing, same weight as Goldwing, 998cc claims 100 hp, optional automatic transmission. Cornering is exceptional. I love my wing, but this might be an alternative as I get older and require three wheels instead of two.
al

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think one of the color schemes makes it look like the new BMW cruiser..I have a Navi '08...first Wing....best bike on the road. I wish I had the storage the new ones have. My saddle bags and trunk are signifigantly smaller than my neighbors '85 1200 Wing. Still wouldn't trade it for any other model out there.
Ride on, ride long-

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Now that summer is over and I survived yet another summer of not riding, I decided to reflect back and see if at all I have any regrets. Part of that process involved me reviewing this post again. Boy do some of the comments raise a few hairs on my back. Especially the last one. Part of me wishes I could show the member that made the last comment a thing or two in person. Okay, okay, too much testosterone.
Anyway, as for my position, yes it has been hard being without my bike, and I know I risk not having one ever again because nothing is promised. Never the less, I have no regrets as of yet. What I desire isn't released. And if things get too bad, I'll get a cheap, used bike of lessor quality. So as of now I choose to wait for my dream bike!

·
Administrator
26,182 Posts
Well Lemaj, even if your still 'abstaining' it's great to hear from you. Your comment about the prior post shows just how controversial a subject bikes and motorcycling really can be. There's alot to like about the 2012 Wing in small ways that can become very endearing over time (years and many miles). There's also (arguably) alot to be hugely disappointed about. There's things about my '09 I'd have different in a heartbeat too, but at the end of the day, it is still a Goldwing and my very favorite motorcycle in a long list of bikes since I was 14. Just as the other two Wings were at that time. Would I cough up the coin for a '12 now, certainly not (barring collision or theft); but if it was new scoot time for me and herself, you wanna believe I'd be looking hard at one. But I'm a Goldwing guy at heart and there's no substituting another model, brand or style to replace it (for me). If the 2012 doesn't sing to you, don't buy one, you'd likely never be happy wishing for more. I have great hopes for the eventual remake of the production line. But I also know that Honda is conservative in their ventures with seriously proven product like the GL and they'll never change being a Japanese Corporation. They'll hold on to giving what they think we need before they give in and give us ALL we WANT. That's likely the biggest reason the GL became what it is now and why they are so reluctant to change it radically. I'll be the first to admit a full scale rework is in order, but we all have to be very careful what we wish for.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
been there

I dont know anything about marriage (divorced after 24 years), raising kids(7 boys), and life,,,,just got my scars like everyone else.....just passing along my crummy experiences....

buy a bike and ride it somewhere.....that has been my answer to most everything.......atleast it makes me smile alot:D
I experienced the big "D" after 23 years and since then i have talked to many guys who said , if it hadn't been for their bike they don't know what they would have done ! I rode my bike many nights all night long because i couldn't sleep , it was my best friend at the time and was always ready to take me away for a while and get my mind off all my problems ! I haven't ridden that V-star in almost four years , but i will never sell it , even if it sits until it turns to rust , it will always have a home with me and a place in my heart !! I recommend a bike for anything that ails you , just a little time on the road with the wind in your face can make all the difference in the world !! Good luck !

·
Banned
3,175 Posts
I don't get it. I just bought an 05 Honda Silverwing 600cc scooter with 5,000 miles on it for less than $3,000. Been riding the hell out of it and it is getting more miles than the Wing. The important thing is get in the wind. And get in the wind as quickly as possible.

Some people's kids. Some day you are going to experience some real adversity and then the loss of your perfect motorcycle will mean nothing.

Get a bike. Some of your friends are out there riding instead of answering your phone call.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2n post on this forum so I'll try to keep a low profile. I had a 03 GW
that I sold for several reasons. The first being a bad set of shift forks and lots of jumping out of gear. ::( Warranty did not fix it because it was not broken enough... in other words had not totally failed.

I then bought a HD Ultra Limited and put in a 110 engine (1803cc)
and have really enjoyed the "lets modify it" interest on it's respective forums.

I'm again looking closely at a discounted 10 wing with air bag for it's
advanced safety but loath to endure the really never changing
attitude of both corporate Honda and it's enthusiast support forums.
ie: "Its perfect now, why change it ? " Since old man Honda San
passed away it appears the MBAs have taken over and innovation
has very much taken a back seat. (Unlike companies like BMW)

As gold wing owners we have partly ourselves to blame due to our complacent attitude. If we don't demand progress in comfort and performance we won't get it. After market supporters like Dynojet have certainly taken note by NOT supply any support for the GW. :confused:
Would the OP be accused of being a"Cry Baby" bemoaning
the HD or BMW on their reflect forums ? Perhaps but much less likely.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts