Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lemaj, afraid you are hurting Lamaj far more than you are hurting Honda, you can't change what they offer, only how you receive it. Looks like you are really beating yourself up, no future in that, roll with what you can't change, go get a good used 1800 or whatever, and get with the beautiful road work to be done! Good Luck.

·
Banned
3,115 Posts
My suggestion: Buy a 5 year old bike and wait until the 2013 or 2014 comes out and then upgrade. The 5 year old bike won't depreciate that much. (To ensure the best resale value, buy a black one.)

Each of us only has so many summers and then its over.

Some real adversity might come along and "bamm.... could of, should uh, would uh...."

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Ride, or Complain - Seems Like an Easy Choice to Me!

I'm a photographer as well as a recent 'wing owner. I see the same incomprehensible behavior on the photography boards too.

It turns out there are two kinds of photographers. There are those, like myself, who derive pleasure from taking pictures. For us, cameras are tools. We buy the best we can afford at the time and then go shooting.

The other half appear to derive their enjoyment from owning the latest and greatest gear. They spend lots of time debating specifications and complaining when their preferred manufacturer is leapfrogged by another, or the latest release doesn't meet their expectations. It's not terribly clear whether these folks ever take pictures of anything other than test patterns.

It appears the same two categories apply here too. Those who like to ride and understand a bike is the means and not the end, and those who are more interested in the bike than in the riding. I find the latter to be nonsensical but to each his own. Personally, I'd recommend the original poster just buy a 'wing and go ride. He'll feel better.

I bought my first - a used '08 - last year and love it. I cannot imagine any possible advancement that would be so wonderful that I would give up one minute of riding to wait for it. But that's just me. If the original poster would rather complain and vent than ride, I s'pose that's his choice. I just hope it makes him happy.

Randy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does this add anything?

Lemaj, it looks like you are a crybaby.
This kind of comment and, admittedly, my comment...really add nothing to the topic. Why some of you have to add your sarcasm is beyond me...yes, I know, it is a free country...freedom of speech...etc...but really, can't a person ask for some input without this nonsense? There is a "hotbox" for sarcasm and such...how bout use that area and leave the requests for input out of it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Time for a reality check?

Excellent advice fxrshog. I truly respect your opinion. Also, looks like you have excellent choice preference in color for goldwings. Your
pic looks very similar to the 06 I had before a terrible driver ran
a stop sign and cut me off. Yep, I'm still wounded mentally from the lost.
Sounds like you might need to evaluate the REAL reason for not purchasing/riding...are you sure the accident you endured isn't keeping you from riding again? Not passing judgement...anyone would be haunted by such past experiences...but it may be time to either confront the real reason(s). BTW, yes, I am NOT a doctor...just my observation/opinion.

·
Administrator
25,876 Posts
Well said aimhigh46. There's is such a thing as good taste in both queeries and responses. Groswald, it sounds like some of your photographer buddies are a bit like the "Nancy Boy" riders that hang out at Tim Horton's with their latest bling machines. Drive from home, park, "lookit what I got", and ride home again. Posers should be the subjects in a photograph, not the shooter. Doubt that there will be many 'posers' riding the new Wings if they buy one, my rep tells me they wil be scarce.

·
Banned
3,115 Posts
Well said aimhigh46. There's is such a thing as good taste in both queeries and responses. Groswald, it sounds like some of your photographer buddies are a bit like the "Nancy Boy" riders that hang out at Tim Horton's with their latest bling machines. Drive from home, park, "lookit what I got", and ride home again. Posers should be the subjects in a photograph, not the shooter. Doubt that there will be many 'posers' riding the new Wings if they buy one, my rep tells me they wil be scarce.
Never love something that can't love you back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Man! Some excellent advice dispenced here. Especially like the comparison between the two types of riders and photographers, I have seen these two approaches to bikes & bike riding unfold for years with different folks, but never really thought about categories for the two. Its dead on. One of my favorite riding groups, Bankers on Bikes, will descend on Colorado Springs in June, better keep the women and children in (Har Har!). Larry in Seattle, great observation, henceforth I will just like my wing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Where do I begin?
I guess above all the fun I had riding my goldwing, what was most intriguing for me was belonging to "what appeared to be" a brotherhood. Bikers stick together in general, but when I would past by a fellow goldwinger, there was this special feeling I received when we would signal hello to one another. Doesn't get much better in my opinion. That above all made me feel like I was apart of something big.
Initially I wasn't to big on participating in forums, but after my accident I did need some support, so I figured the best place would be to seek support from fellow riders. Yes I was shaken a bit, but never did I consider never riding again. Even after the knee surgery. I was blessed with people around me who understood my passion for riding. My wife supports me even though I know it frightens her. My doctors rides so he basically chews me out for not buying another right away. And my children miss seeing the smiles on my face that would appear after each and every ride.
And finally then there's you guys. Ultimately I know you guys mean well and you are trying to look out for me. Even the guy who called me a crybaby. You guys are really hard on a brother. :) But I understand and for the most part you all give good advice.
I just miss my wing! I had it perfect. Spent a lot of extra money trying to emulate some of the features I hoped to be included on the new model. So when it wasn't, it was a big let down. Sorry but I'm a techie too.
And after being beaten up by most of you, I did check prices on the same 2006 model and its hard to spend so much for something when it wont be the same. It will bug me riding it if the wing doesn't offer me the same amenities. Maybe I do ride for all the wrong reasons. But I enjoy bluetooth and the "custom" stereo among other ammenities I added. And if I added those same things again, it would be like I bought a brand new 2006 wing for close to 20k.

What's a descent price to spend on a 2006. Everything I've seen descent cost about 16k. And I don't want the hassle of selling it once I want to upgrade. Especially if Im going to lose a lot more money.

·
Banned
3,115 Posts
Couldn't you take your add ons off the other bike and put them on a different bike? Just asking....or did the insurance company sell it to someone else and they are enjoying all of your add ons?

·
Administrator
25,876 Posts
Lemaj, I'd check something like Craig's List to be sure what's the going asking price, then compare with the Blue Book figures both clean and average. $16k sounds high to me when an average '08 goes for that up here (we pay more remember?). But like anything, you have to listen to your heart when the right bike calls to you, then decide if your wallet can answer. for a 2006 I'd say more in the $12-$13k range. Someone else one your side of the border can chime in and correct me if I'm way off base, but with new '09s and '10s at $18k (equipment dependant) I doubt it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am sure many of us, myself included have tried to make something bigger than life, fill a void, and be something perfect to us. You know.....nothing is perfect and things change.
Take a deep breath my friend, you are sending mixed messages out.....the love of a lost bike, an bad accident, and Honda's responsibility to build you a perfect machine. You have great friends here that want the best for you but this sounds bigger than the 2012 GW. Forgive me if I have offended you but you seem to be displacing something here. The perfect motorcycle will never exist.....and if it did you know how quickly it all can change.

·
Premium Member
23,808 Posts
Where do I begin?
The best place to begin is at the beginning. You have just changed the perspective of your Winged brothers here as advisors. Let's do some Craig's List shopping to see what owners think their bike is worth.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Many are disappointed in the "new" Wing. Mainly(IMHO) caused by those of us whom hyped ourselves up w/rumors of all the BIG chances we just knew would be included in the "all new Wing".
I am convinced Honda delayed the newest model simple to deplete excessive inventories of 2008 to 2010 models, most deeply discounted to move them.
We had subtle hints along the way that no major changes/upgrade were coming but, I for one choose to ignore them.
While I to am disappointed, I realize the 2012 is still one of the finest touringmodels on the market today.
It is what it is.
Either buy a new one or there are still some deals on a 2010(which was still assembled in the USA)out there.
Quit punishing yourself-life is to short-get out there and ride!

·
Super Moderator
28,516 Posts
The best place to begin is at the beginning. You have just changed the perspective of your Winged brothers here as advisors.
Now we know the rest of the story. Good Luck Lemaj with your decision, I for one know that I probably can not help you in that aspect.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Be thankful

that you aren't looking at the Yamaha Royal Star Venture (my previous bike)...great bike, but it hasn't changed since 1999!!!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Make a list
define your choices
positives and negatives of all choices
shop, test ride, talk, get opinions, do your homework
Make a decision based on the available info and go with it
fill bike up with gas and take off.....for a long trip
Hate to say,,,,you need to check out the new mother ship from BMW it may satisfy your "needs" for innovation and tech.

·
Registered
220 Posts
and of course by all means.....smile my friend LIFE IS SHORT>>>>>ENJOY

21 - 40 of 53 Posts