Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
michigan law changed and if you are over 21yrs old you are not required to wear a helmet

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
They did that some years ago here in Pa. I'm not positive of all of the law because it didn't affect me. We always wear lids. What it did was allow the people who either think they are invicible or are too bad #^* to wear a helmet the freedom to do so. Being a patriotic AMERICAN I have no problem with choice, you just wouldn't see me on a bike without one. Just one ole fossils opinion.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
I have always felt that wearing a helmet should be an issue between you and your insurance company. When I ride in Arizona, as soon as we get out of town and there is nothing but open highway ahead, the helmet goes in the bag. Sincerely, bad #^*. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I will always wear my helment; law or not.I had a freind that got killed when some deer ran into him and he laid his bike down.The accident investigators said he would have lived with a helment.
With that being said I do support the freedom of choice.
Donald Lang

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update, the bill passed the house and is expected to pass the senate. after having a bike accident and destroying a helmet other than testing and tuning i'll always wear a helmet

·
Registered
6 Posts
helmet laws

I will be glad when GA. passes the same law. I normaly use my helmet because it is easier than storing it, but I ride without when in FL.

·
Super Moderator
9,868 Posts
I always have my helmet on, but then again I don't have a lot of brain cells, so loosing any of them would set me back.. Ride safe and hopefully none of us will ever need to find out how much they protect us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aug 1968 between Havelock NC and Newport, NC 9:30 PM

The Harley that I was riding had a front fender bolt come loose and the front fender twisted and jammed between the front fork and the wheel that was traveling at approximately 60 MPH. The Bell TX500 that I was wearing was destroyed. The outer shell was ground through so that the soft interior material was visable to the world through the top of the helmet. Other than some road rash and a fairly severe concussion, I was okay and riding again in 5 weeks,

Yep, I am also in favor of freedom of choice. Everyone has the right to take as much personal risk as they wish so long as they are the ONLY one at risk.

Ride safe! (That would include protective gear)

Bill

·
Registered
899 Posts
Bell helmets proved years ago that the helmet will save you in some cases but with or without the helmet the right blow will kill you anyway. I wish I could ride without it!! It blocks your side view as well as making it hard to hear what is around you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been involved in two bike accidents, both low speed (30 to 35 mph), one with an open face helmet with shield, and one with a smaller "lid".
The first, I broke ribs, shoulder, collar bone and punctured a lung, with no damage to my head or face except a bit of road rash on my nose (which could stand a little work anyway).
The second with the "lid", I lost a pair of glasses, an eyebrow, good part of my forehead and fractured the C2 vertabrae. I was less than a milimeter from death or paralized.
Lesson learned: I don't ride anywhere without a good, full helmet. I may not look so tough and carefree, but I'm a lot more sure of returning home still sitting upright.
Of course I still believe in freedom to choose, I just pray for those who ride with or without.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd just urge people to remember that they are not the only ones who suffer if they sustain a brain injury. Family and friends go through a lot of pain emotionally, and the financial impacts can be staggering. So it's not as simple as "It's my head - I can risk it if I want."
I have twice had a helmet save my brain in bicycle crashes, and I recently had a fairly severe concussion the first time I tried snowboarding (no helmet). It was pretty scary (not for me, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about). I didn't know what day it was, what year it was, and I couldn't remember if my pet was a cat or a dog.
Helmets are our friends! ATGATT

·
Registered
29 Posts
Helmets

A good friend of mine is an ER phyisician. She has had many motorcycle accident victims come through her emergency room and she has a great name for those who do not wear a helmet, "Organ Donor." I agree that everyone should be free to make their own choice. My choice is to wear one.

·
Registered
689 Posts
While you will never see me on a mc without one, I believe that it should be mandated for anyone under 21. A doctor, of all people' told me he dodn't believe in wearing a helmet. I told him he didn't have to. He didn't have anything up there to protect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just recently bought my Gold Wing after about a 30 year gap in riding but I DO NOT ride without a helmet. The safety aspects of wearing a helmet were ingrained in me while in high school, several years before I purchased my first motorcycle.

I grew up in a part of S.E. KS where at that time, paved roads were few and far between. Most roads we traveled were gravel. A guy I was in school with had a motorcycle accident on the way to school one day. It's too long ago for me to remember how the accident happened, just that it did and it was several months before he returned to school still on crutches. What I do remember clearly was him showing me his helmet. He was wearing what would have been considered normal for that time. A 3/4 helmet with a bubble shield. I don't know how far he slid down the gravel road but the face shield of that helmet had gravel so deeply embedded in it that you couldn't dig it out with a pocket knife. All I could do was visualize what his face would have looked like without that helmet/shield.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to ride without a helmet as long as they have the financial ability or insurance to provide for their own long term care if they end up a vegetable in a care facility for 30 or 40 years and don't have to be supported by my tax dollars.

Please, stay safe.

Hoss

·
Registered
200 Posts
I high sided my 83 Interstate at 60 mph slid feet first for 50 to 60 ft. the
heels of my boots hit the soft shoulder of the hwy and dug in,I did a face plant in the ditch on some freshly cut willows 6 to 8 inches long like a bunch of spears. If it was'nt for the Full Face Helmet I would'nt be here,I would have been impalled on those Willows.
Freedom of Choice,fine, for me the choice is to survive no matter what anyone else says or does.The thick Leathers protected my chest but the rain suit was swiss cheese.Broke my leg, I can truly say "Been there Done That" and survived.

Sorry Freedom of choicers,I'll never agree with you on this one.

-Robert- (My new name would have been ShishkaBob) :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Arkansas has the same law and the twin cylinder crowd loves it. It's amazing the protecetion a rag on your head will give.:rolleyes:

The wife and I wear ours. Just the ability to communicate should be enough. Not to mention, taking care of the "ole gray cells":eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts