Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for the 1800Gl states that "the audio system is designed to be weatherproof inless it is sprayed directly with a hose". We have all been caught in a deluge of rain...How durable are the speakers to water and various types of debris?? Should I make any attempt to clean them since dirt and debris is bound to get thru the mess covers??.... or should I just let them alone??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome from Florida DrBob. My advice is if they sound ok,let them be.If this is any indication for you,i have a '94SE,just replaced the rear speakers recently,the fronts are next,as time permits.They have been rattling for 6 months or so. I guess that gives the factory speakers pretty good marks,at least in the durability area.Ride often and Safe,and enjoy those tunes! BTW,if you don't have XM or Sirius,put that on your list.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have been in down pours and never had a problem with the speakers or radio. The speakers have drain holes and are waterproof, I wash my bike with a pail of soapy water and a hose, I try to not directly spray the speakers with water but I do get them wet. When I dry my bike I use a leaf blower and keep it away from the speakers.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Dr.. Joe is right about direct hard spray on any of the audio components. But rain water and light washing won't affect them at all. Sometimes debris collects behind the speaker grills. You can raise up the dash cover, from the ignition to the windshield and clean it out if necessary. I have some behind the grills of my 09 after 1 year, but not enough to worry about yet. Instructions for lifting the dash can be found with an internet search or it may even be in the owners manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts