Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unsure what to get a 1500 or 1800? Only been riding almost a year,with a Vstar 1300,but have falling for the tourering thing.Would prefered to go another year with it but, just not big enough for wife and I.Things are bit tight for funds,is it worth the big jump in price for getting 1800?.Sorry for bringing this up, have read, but read a lot of threads on this but still confused on this subject.Thanks for any help that you are able to shed on my problem.:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The decision is purely subjective and totally up to you. However, I recently faced the same decision. I rented a GL1800 for a day and ended up buying a GL1500.
Some thoughts. The GL1800 is a little faster, little more nimble, little more of a sport bike.
If you want to run through the twisties, the GL1800 is the better bike. However, if you want to tour, say two-up, the GL1500 IMHO is an excellent bike and does a wonderful job.
Some additional thoughts. The GL1800 has a serious problem with the frame in years 2001-2004. The aluminum frames have been cracking. There were recalls and inspections, etc, but after all my research, the only safe bet for an early GL1800 is if it had the frame replaced by a 2005 or later one. This is a major job and Honda was reluctant to perform it unless really pushed. Some bikes were inspected, and declared OK, but still it looks like there is an inherent weakness that could show up later. Hit a pothole and bam.

So, you either have to find an early 1800 with a replaced frame, or buy a 2005 or later bike. The price difference between a 2005 and a GL1500 (even late model one) is substantial.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think maybe I'm leaning more towards a maybe 1998 to a 2000 1500.Wasn't sure with little riding experience that I have that the 1800 with what you say and others being bit easier to ride.But it's more to be able to tourer with nieghbour having a 2008,my wife watches with envey how comfortable his wife looks.So maybe make my wife happy go with 1500 and in few years step to a 2005 or newer 1800.It also helps that most used are already dressed quite nicely.Wife says I can't leave anything stock lol,she's right!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if it is a problem but between wife and I we tip scale around 450lbs,and would maybe want to pull trailer at times as well
:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Again, I rented the 1800 for a day and rode mostly 2 up on freeways and back roads for probably 300 miles or so. Now we have had the 1500 for a couple weeks and have done probably 1000 miles, again mostly 2 up. I did not find the 1800 easier to ride 2-up. They were roughly equivalent. Both bikes were fine on the hiway. Neither was very nice in a parking lot, or stoplights, 2-up. Just a lot of weight. If you want to ride solo through the twisties, I think the 1800 would be a better choice.

Now, if I had a couple years with each bike, I'm sure subtle things would come to mind about the differences. So we're dealing with gross first impressions here. I don't do the twisties very much. I have had a cruiser for the last couple years and generally just like to hit the hiway and ride.

Others may have a lot more to say on the topic.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Both are great bike, the 1500 probably has less trouble than the 1800's but once you ride an 1800 it's all over, Go for what ever you can afford and feel good about, which ever one you get you won't be sorry,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm leaning more for 1500 as you have said it will do the job well,and the price is right.1800's are an excelent bike but just to much money right now,maybe in couple of years go for broke.
:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Remember these are basically "toys". Go for what you can afford. If its a 1500, you will enjoy it a lot, you'll learn a lot, and you probably won't lose much on resale. If its a 1800, more power to you.

Peace.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
try and get the best bang for the buck on whichever you decide to buy. i've been looking at some '05 and up wings but i need a newer mini van or small suv so it will be three to five years before i can get an 1800 wing. and if you decide on getting a 1500 get yourself an aspencade or se

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have owned both a 1500 and now a 1800. I believe the 1800 is a much better bike, but when I had my 1500 I loved it more than the Kawaski Voyager I traded. The bottom line is the newer the bike the more advances in technology and the better they run.

That said, if I had a limited budget I would probably buy a late model (1998-2000) 1500 over a 2001-2004) 1800. The 1500 at that point was pretty much problem free and the early 1800's were having problems. If the recalls were completed on a used 1800 it might be worth the risk, but if I couldn't afford a new 1800 I'd go with a used 1500. Both will serve you and your wife well for many years..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help,would love an 1800,but money is little tight and they just want to much for used 1800.I think a 1500 will suit the wife and I just fine for a few years.This is only second year for riding so go in little steps.But thanks again for help is a great site for help!.
:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on what Two Wheel said, I also have had both a 1500 and now on an 1800, and before that I had an '84 1200. The 1500 is a prior rendition of the current GL, but by no means an inferior ride. Like all new and improved units, the 1800 does some things better than the 1500: sharper handling, amazing power and acceleration, much nicer seat.
I still have things I would change on the 1800 that I felt my 1500 actually did better; the sound system on the new bike pales in comparrison and the i/c cord attachments suck. I still find it hard to believe we can't have an electric windshield adjuster or a 12v plug-in or (two for that matter). My previous 2 'wings came with bag liners and my new one ($27,000 Cdn) didn't. Last niggle about the new one, the GPS data base is horrible for Canadian use (just like the one in my wife's Acura), but better than no GPS.
Either way you won't go wrong. do your homework and find the best deal for your tastes and 'wing your way into bliss.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've ridden, and ridden hard and long: on every Goldwing model built, except the Rune. There's absolutely no question that the GL1800 is the best of the lot. The late 1500's were marginally more 'couch-like' on long-haul straight roads, but when you set the 1800 properly for your weight, it's so close to the same comfort that it is indiscernible. All of the other aspects of the 1800 make it the king: handling, balance, C of G, and for working on as well.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I think you'll find the 1500 has more rider leg room then the 1800. more room in the saddle bags and trunk. The passenger back rest on the 1800 can have a bit to much padding in the Lombard area for some women.
Yes the 1800 is faster and has more bells and whistles.
Then I really like the 1500, I must I've had mine for 20 years come August

·
Registered
515 Posts
:Dang: Wonder what he ever decided on?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Judging by his avatar it looks to be a red 1800.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you'll find the 1500 has more rider leg room then the 1800. more room in the saddle bags and trunk. The passenger back rest on the 1800 can have a bit to much padding in the Lombard area for some women.
Yes the 1800 is faster and has more bells and whistles.
Then I really like the 1500, I must I've had mine for 20 years come August
I agree: the one factor that's missing: the 1800 isn't comfortable for a 6'4" proportioned person: the knees touch the shelter. The 1500 is definitely better for the real tall folks. I've a few acquaintances that ride the 1500 for that reason. And also: my wife likes the passenger seat on the 1500 better. Fortunately, she rides so little that I able to skim by as 5'10" frame, and with mainly solo riding: hence, the 1800.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts