Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lead our local GWRRA Saturday ride today. With a weather forecast of almost certain rain I didn’t expect many to show up. I was right as only one other bike met up with me. Jim and Linda are pretty hardcore and a little threat from the weather doesn’t stop them. We decided to go ahead with the planned ride to tour some of the Delta Counties. We met up in Clinton and headed west on I-20 to Vicksburg for our first stop. This was at the Old Courthouse Museum in Warren County. This was built in 1858 and was here for The Siege (Civil War, if you had any doubt) and is up on the highest hill directly above the Mississippi River. It is a wonder that it wasn’t knocked flat. The new county courthouse is across the street but it is a modern building and hardly photo worthy. We then headed up US 61 to Onward (where Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot the bear) where we turned on MS 1 which stays close to the river. This is a great road through the delta farmland where you will see soybeans and corn, corn and soybeans, and wheat stubble this time of year. It is not much for views (note the lack of photos) but the road isn’t busy and the curves are sweeping. We stayed on this up to Greenville for a stop at the Washington County Courthouse, 1894. This one was built to replace the one the Yankees burned down during the War of Northern Aggression. We continued north on MS 1 to Scott where we took MS 450 east to 448 through Shaw and then to Indianola. Here we stopped for lunch and I thought about visiting the BB King Museum. Maybe another time as the day was getting on. We headed south on US 49 to Belzoni to get to MS 12 which took us east to Lexington and a stop at the Holmes County Courthouse, 1894. The previous courthouse also burned but not due to Yankee aggression. And Yes, all the courthouses have Confederate Monuments. From here we took one of those little grey roads on the map, Bronzville Road, which took us to the end of MS 433 which we took all the way to Bentonia. This is one of my favorite summer roads as it has great sweeping curves and mostly stays wooded and shaded. Although we really didn’t need the shade today. At US 49 we split up for home. It was a great day and while we did have a few sprinkles from time to time it never even thought of raining hard. Our tour took us though nine counties and 350 miles.

Here are some pictures;
First is my riding troup for the day, Linda and Jim.
Second is the Old Courthouse Museum, Vicksburg, MS
Third is the Washington County Courthouse, Greenville, MS
Fourth is the Holmes County Courthouse, Lexington, MS
Fifth is downtown Lexington, MS - yes that's about all there is to it. Well maybe a couple more like this around the courthouse but a very small town. Think Mayberry....

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Great report Mark. Sometimes small groups are better. Yeah they are.:D

Hey I know that August is booked up with the Eric/Vanessa tour. But maybe next year we can plan on some Civil War battlefied runs? Think about it.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Thanks for the tour Mark. Them there building sure look great from the outside but I don't want to be in them. How's the cheek of them Aussies, they come over and hog all of August 2012. You had better come on up and tell them.:D Eric

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How's the cheek of them Aussies, they come over and hog all of August 2012. You had better come on up and tell them.:D Eric
I'm working on it. But with my job I do not plan too far in advance. The bell rings when it rings.

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But maybe next year we can plan on some Civil War battlefied runs? Think about it.
The Culpeper and Front Royal area are interesting both for history and good motorcycle roads.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Great pics. I love rides that involve history. Always makes the ride more interesting.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Great photos and so much history in those areas...thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Nice pics, Crownfire. Sounds like a good day of riding.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Thanks for your trip report and photos! One of the things I miss most about living in The South is the wealth of historical sites all over. Don't miss the heat and humidity though!

Correction Chopin: You mean the War of Northern Arrogance!:p

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Looks like you had the town pretty much to yourselves too:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.