Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Always watching for IDIOTS on crotch-rockets in rear view mirror. Either move out of their way or flip on red/blue lights to let them know not to be stupid around me!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always watching for IDIOTS on crotch-rockets in rear view mirror. Either move out of their way or flip on red/blue lights to let them know not to be stupid around me!
Well, that is great! If only I had that option. :)

The point was, they were screwing with him, he couldn't get out of the way.

My only option is to stop, don't know if he even had that before they ran into him. And if you do, what then.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I didn't see anything in the article that suggested that they were screwing with the guy ! I don't care for the sport bike " attitude " any more than the next guy , but the truth is they have as much right to be on the road as anyone else . If they were screwing with him then he had choices ... (1) pull over if he had time to do so safely .. (2) pull over ! We haven't seen the video so we don't know the true details ! I will say, if he was threatened and scared for his well being then he is within his rights to defend himself , but a rider traveling down the highway on a motorcycle brandishing a firearm is not doing himself or anyone else any good ! I am a former LEO and i would personally never pull my weapon while moving on a bike unless i have absolutely no choice ! We were trained to only pull your weapon if the perpetrator produced a weapon or you have reason to suspect he is armed ! I am not going DIRTY HARRY on an idiot that doesn't know how to respect the law and other motorist , unless i feel that the situation warrants deadly force ! I guess it gets under my skin a little when guy's don't see themselves breaking the law and risking their lives and others when they brag about riding the dragon and dragging pegs , let's face it if you are riding the speed limit on the dragon you should not drag your pegs , that in my opinion is the same mentality as the sport bike rider ! I may ruffle some feathers with this post , but the truth is the truth ! We are all guilty of making a dumb decision at one time or another , no matter what kind of bike we ride !

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
You know Santini I feel a bit like you on this. If you read the statement from the trooper it says that he was overtaken by a group. It is not only possible but likely that they decide to split him, he could have panicked, sweerved & taken the one out. Now before anyone goes off on my summize I would not & do not condone the behavior if that's what happened but it could have just been a bad situation. Him cruising along enjoying the night & them flying along equally enjoying the night. Shame for all involved.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Might seem a bit cold , but I was glad to read that one of the pack members gave up the ghost even if he was only guilty by association. What would I do if I saw this coming ? Maintain my speed and course and say a few Hail Mary's that the storm would pass.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I am absolutely amazed at the speed and power those machines have. If you have not ridden one..... you owe yourself a thrill to just try one out. I don't like the posture of the rider, but hey....those bikes haul ass and they don't have to alter their exhaust to get that performance; It comes stock. Like a rocket.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I did not say brandish my gun. I said pull to a STOP! Unless I felt my life was in danger I would not pull mine either. But as per reading the article Iit seemed they were messimg with him! Their are gangs of BOYS that ride crotch rockets in this area and under no circumstances would I let them mess with ME!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Unholster is the opposite of holster , so if you UNHOLSTER you remove your weapon from the HOLSTER , at that time wheteher you are an LEO or CIVILIAN you are BRANDISHING your weapon ! I have arrested people for brandishing a firearm so knowledge of the law and meaning of brandishing was essential ! The article said that the Harley was overtaken ( does not mean that they were screwing with him ) and like fossil said he may have panicked ! I know these bikes can overtake you in a split second from a great distance . It is a shame something like this happened , but it could be any of us ! Please be careful guy's because i enjoy you all being around on the forum , whether we agree all the time or not ! Happy 4 th !!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Unholster is the opposite of holster , so if you UNHOLSTER you remove your weapon from the HOLSTER , at that time wheteher you are an LEO or CIVILIAN you are BRANDISHING your weapon ! I have arrested people for brandishing a firearm so knowledge of the law and meaning of brandishing was essential ! The article said that the Harley was overtaken ( does not mean that they were screwing with him ) and like fossil said he may have panicked ! I know these bikes can overtake you in a split second from a great distance . It is a shame something like this happened , but it could be any of us ! Please be careful guy's because i enjoy you all being around on the forum , whether we agree all the time or not ! Happy 4 th !!
Santini as a former LEO myself I must disagree, unholstering is not brandishing. But it certianly leaves no doubt that if needed the weapon could and would be used. Brandishing is the sense that you're using is very broad, simple unholstering a weapon is in my opinion far from brandishing. Simply unholstering and keeping your weapon pointed safely at the ground and at your side communicates an intent to protect ones self. Brandishing, in my opinion, would consist of pointing and waving the weapon around in a very unsafe and dangerous manner.

Painting the brandishing with such a broad brush is what is hurting lawful weapon owners in their rights to own firearms. Sorry for my rant but this is a subject that really gets me hot under the collar. We're already seeing limits on ammo production and sales and a continued broad spectrum of negative, extremest views will eventually rob us of our second ammendment rights!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Other reports say they had stolen the bikes and was harassing the solo rider. This thread has 2 of my hot buttons as well.

First, we cannot protect ourselves when moving on 2 wheels.
Second, I am an NRA member and believe the government and police keep alot of things in check because most people stay within the law as they know of the consequences. But the police are avengers, they are mostly there after the fact to find the guilty-not much good if you are the vic. Ultimately, I believe in protecting me and my family. I don't talk about what I own or where I keep it. I do believe that any vehicle at high speed is a deadly weapon and I do feel like someone playing games or coming up to the back of my bike to intimidate me is a real threat.

In this case, I would stop if I could and prepare to defend myself. It would still be a danger if a gang stopped too. No matter how it plays out, it becomes a life changing situation. The best defense is to never get into this situation and the only way I know to do that is ride in a group or at least in a pair.

Is there anyone here from NC that knows the laws here or where to find it? I feel that I have a right to draw a weapon if someone is using a deadly one on me i.e. a moving vehicle but that may be my sense of reason and not necessarily backed by state laws.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree, maintain speed and course and do not for any reason shift your focus to the group of riders around you. My wife does that when someone gets too close as she drivers her car. She freaks out and wants to get out of their way. I can't tell you how many times she has nearly been hit as the over taking vehicle moves to go around her. Stay exactly where you are and you would be fine 99% of the time.

As as the comments on a weapon.....wow!! I don't know about where you guys live but here in Arizona it is considered brandishing to just simply pull up your shirt to show it. I am right handed so pulling it while riding just wouldn't work for me anyway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am absolutely amazed at the speed and power those machines have. If you have not ridden one..... you owe yourself a thrill to just try one out. I don't like the posture of the rider, but hey....those bikes haul ass and they don't have to alter their exhaust to get that performance; It comes stock. Like a rocket.
I rode my son's CBR6000. The best I can describe it is - it feels like you're riding rocket while getting vasectomy w/out anesthesia.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
That accident took place about 10 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, it's becoming a common occurrence on the freeways in this area--I was passed on both sides by a group of rocketeers--and I was doing 75-80 miles an hour in the fast lane in my car. Fortunately, I saw them coming and didn't react as they passed on the shoulder and between my car and the car in the next lane. I'm afraid there just isn't a cure for stupid.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
You know willmax. I've had that happen to me as well, even on the bike.

It has been said before that these machines are just what we call them "crotch rockets" & you don't often see middle aged,
overweight, some with hair/some without men riding them. Mostly they are young people who don't have the "this is gonna hurt if I mess up" gene in them. Being a bit of a speed freak myself I can almost understand the want to go (Always wanted to own a Vmax & take one ride on a Hyabusa). The real problem is a few give the bad name to them all & I've got to say I don't think it's right. Sort of like lumping Harley riders with Bars & drinking. We all know they don't all do that.

I still say it's a shame for everyone involved & hopefully something will be learned from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have all the Kuryakyn LED lights on the rear, plus a flashing LED brake light replacement for the reflector below the license plate. It gets noticed by cage drivers as well as one cooky cage driver that called 911 claiming I had an illegal flashing red light. CHP lit my up and said it was fine. HOWEVER, my matching red wind deflectors mounted below the rear view mirrors were illegal and get them off imediately, which I did. Sold them to a rider in Utah and bought clear deflectors. I checked on this and found it may will be a Federal law; no red or blue lights or anything that can be mistaken for a light on the front of a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Canuck undoubtedly your local leo thinks the same way as in North Alabama ! I don't have a problem with self - defense , but unless i see a weapon or i am reasonably sure someone is armed i am not gonna over - react and make a bad situation worse . I don't tell anyone that i am carrying or make it conspicuous . I have seen too many hot - heads do stupid things , especially off - duty leo's or former leo's who seem to like showing their weapon and posing ! I would have been fired from the force if the sheriff ever heard me or any of the deputy's refer to lines from a movie ! I have my opinion and it is only mine , but that is one reason some leo's give the public the wrong image !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts