Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deer whistles - some swear by them and some say they don't work at all. Is there any real evidence that they work? We had one of our group lay down his bike yesterday because of an encounter with a deer. Both he and his wife were taken to hospital and then released. She has some ankle problems but her leathers saved her from some serious cuts. Her husband had taken off his jacket so he has some serious road rash but all is fine. We are all worried that she will not get back on the bike. Any advice to give her?

·
Super Moderator
15,120 Posts
why would a deerwhistle work anyway? think about it. air goes through the front and creates a sound that comes out the back, what deer in front of you would hear it

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Even if they might not work they can't hurt to have them. I drove through ID this spring and we could not get over all the dead deer on the side of the road.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here in the Texas Hill Country we probably have the highest density of deer in the U.S.
in fact, you can sit at the table drinking coffee, chunk a rock out the window and hit one in the head. Even saw an all white whitetail!
They will jump in front of you. They become disoriented when faced with a vehicle. All you can do is slow down and keep your eyes open. If you see a deer near the road try not to pass it. Stay behind the deer till it figures out where it is going to go. If you hit one on a bike you will get hurt. Whistles just add to the show.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I saw a test done on them and they don't do anything. The test said in order for them to work they have to be spaced a certain distance apart, that's why there are two of them the sound has to do something with having two of them and the distance apart they are, and it has to be farther apart than the width of a motorcycle. I have passed many deer and thy stood at the side of the road looking at me, I don't have deer whistles, and I have came upon some that have crossed in front of me. Deer whistles fall in the same category as red light triggers. SNAKE OIL!!

·
Super Moderator
15,120 Posts
well there ya go. skip the deer whistle and strap a harley to your wing =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was teaching a motorcycle course up in northern Alberta a number of years ago at a remote college deep in the forest. At this college they frequently drive their vehicles out in the bush for various reasons and the fellow that worked at the college who we were working with said that they would typically have 20 deer accidents per year. They installed deer whistles on all of their vehicles and after that would only see 2 to 3 per year.
When I was on my pilgrimage to Sturgis this year going through South Dakota a deer ran towards the highway as we passed. My buddy in the lead was able to alert us and I came along the deer looked and turned arond and ran off into the field. I cant say if it was the whistles on my bike or the ugly guy on the Harley that was behind me that scared it away. :D:D IMHO for $3 why not use them as long as you don't get too complacent?????

·
Premium Member
24,861 Posts
This is a great topic. I've had many years of experience with the whistles, and I do find that they are advantageous, but don't work 100% fault free. Truckers hate them since they spen a lot of time on multi lane roads, and vehicles equipped with whistles tend to drive deer into the path of oncoming traffic (heresay but...). The placement of the whistles is the most limiting factor to their effectiveness. I have found through exprimenting that they work the best on the roof of the vehicle, or in the case of a pick-up truck or m/c like a Wing, on the top of the mirror housing. There can be no disruption of the air-flow (grille or obstruction) or they will not work; they need to be in the free stream of air moving. On the vehicle bumper or m/c front fender has little or no effect imo. I'm in the camp that says any advantage over wildlife is a bonus. It's not only deer in my neck of the woods, but moose and cattle at large too. Neither scenario good for playing matador with your scoot.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.