Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
Just joined the board for info on a Great Bike. This is not a which one should I buy post. I know you never go to a bike board and ask opinions on other bikes. I want real world experience. Long Story Short; I have ridden for the last 15 years from sportbikes to cruisers. I mostly ride alone but the wife does join me occasionally. I have been kicking around the idea of a Sport Touring bike. I have looked at the BMW's which I think are excellent machines. But I have also been of the mindset that if you are going to do something GO BIG! My concern with the Wing is Size and suitability for everyday commuting. I have owned a Valkyrie So I am familiar with the smooth Motor I can only imagine the 1800 is so much better. So without typing five pages worth or blah blah blah! Let the responses commence.

JJ

·
Registered
494 Posts
... HOWDY ... JERRY ... I HAVE A LADY FRIEND OF MINE THAT IS OF AVERAGE SIZE AND WHEELS AROUND ON HER 1500 se. ... RIDES TO WORK 3+ DAYS AWEEK WEATHER PERMITTING ... AND HAS INFORMED ME THAT SHE WILL BE BUYING A NEW 1800 NEXT YEAR ... AND AS THEY SAY IN THE WORLD OF WINGS - - IT'S ALL ABOUT "STYLE AND COMFORT" ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,868 Posts
First, welcome to the board. Since you have ridden sport bikes and a Valkyrie all you need to do is combine both experiences and you have a GL1800. Try it, you'll like it. Be safe, ride safe and enjoy the trip.

·
Administrator
28,870 Posts
JJ,

Here's my .02. I've ridden for over 35 years various different bikes. I picked up my Wing about 4 years ago. Bought it on Friday, dealer checked it out Sat., Mon. wife & I went on weeks vacation to Thousand Islands.Total mileage aprox 1300 miles. We never rode so long or far. Since than we have routinely put on 500-600 miles a day. We do things like ride to Cleveland for a overnight trip to see Rock & Roll H of F. Next year we have a big trip planned if you get on another thread here. I'm probably boring everyone at this point, but I'm just trying to layout the joys of "Wingdom" ... Is that really a word? If not it should be.

Now as some other guys can attest I sometimes have an alternate view on things. Having said all the above I live in somewhat rural area & ride 5 miles to work, about 2 miles to local retail stores, 1/4 mile to the Gym. Well you get the point. There have been times in the last 3 -4 years where I thought "It's going to be a pain to drag the Wing out for short blast". That's why I picked up Nighthawk about 6 months ago.

So I can see your concern, However if you can have only 1 bike. The times you won't use it will be far exceeded by the Joys you will have on a Wing. Hope this rambiling gives some help.

·
Super Moderator
9,868 Posts
However if you can have only 1 bike. The times you won't use it will be far exceeded by the Joys you will have on a Wing. Hope this rambiling gives some help.
+1. My thoughts exactly... I agree with you Fossil....

:)

·
Super Moderator
15,120 Posts
first you have to make up your mind that a wing IS what you want. when you do you'll go get one. until then all you'll have are the same old rehashed questions that noone can really answer for you. who told you all about cruisers that made you get one

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Jerry, welcome to the forum. I went from an 1100 cruiser to a Wing. Initially, I found the weight difficult to deal with in tight areas ( gas stations,parking). I was very nervous but a part of that was worrying about wrecking something so expensive. However, after some miles I'm back to normal. Like anything new and different, you're just going to have learn and time will do that. Lyndon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.