Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
Just joined the board for info on a Great Bike. This is not a which one should I buy post. I know you never go to a bike board and ask opinions on other bikes. I want real world experience. Long Story Short; I have ridden for the last 15 years from sportbikes to cruisers. I mostly ride alone but the wife does join me occasionally. I have been kicking around the idea of a Sport Touring bike. I have looked at the BMW's which I think are excellent machines. But I have also been of the mindset that if you are going to do something GO BIG! My concern with the Wing is Size and suitability for everyday commuting. I have owned a Valkyrie So I am familiar with the smooth Motor I can only imagine the 1800 is so much better. So without typing five pages worth or blah blah blah! Let the responses commence.

JJ

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... JERRY ... I HAVE A LADY FRIEND OF MINE THAT IS OF AVERAGE SIZE AND WHEELS AROUND ON HER 1500 se. ... RIDES TO WORK 3+ DAYS AWEEK WEATHER PERMITTING ... AND HAS INFORMED ME THAT SHE WILL BE BUYING A NEW 1800 NEXT YEAR ... AND AS THEY SAY IN THE WORLD OF WINGS - - IT'S ALL ABOUT "STYLE AND COMFORT" ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the board. Since you have ridden sport bikes and a Valkyrie all you need to do is combine both experiences and you have a GL1800. Try it, you'll like it. Be safe, ride safe and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey I am not doubting the ability and quality of the big Wing, I just wonder as an only bike if it fits my needs. My current bike is great around town and back and forth to work however when I want to go for an all day ride I found it lacking in the comfort department. I have a good seat even put 2" handlebar risers on it and still my neck, shoulders and wrists take most of the stress, Leaving me pretty tired at the end of a 300mi day. Now anything less than 300mi I feel fine. Plus I guess I like not having a Payment and If I get a Wing I will be back into a payment even though it would be less than half the price of a New one. The other options I have been looking at would get me into a sport touring bike with no payment. But Man I do Love the styling and features of the Wing. So my questions are these.

1. I know it is subjective but How much do you notice the weight at slow speeds and tight turns?
2. How much of a Pain is it shuffling around the garage and driveway?
3. In town characteristics Light to light (Not drag racing just stop and go stuff) and Heat issues?
4. Lastly for those that have come off cruisers or much lighter bikes what was the learning curve getting used to the weight and handling? Keep in mind my last two bikes weighed in over 800lbs each but my current bike handles the weight so much better than my previous one.

JJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerry -

I just joined this thread and you and I were pretty much in the same boat, I've been riding for almost 25 years I've been there / done that with the sport bikes and cruisers (last was a Shadow Sabre VT1100C2). As you stated - I loved my cruisers for short drives, commuting and some longer rides but I just had no desire to get out and do longer rides.

With this in mind I went to my local dealer and took a used Goldwing for a test ride. This would be my first suggestion for you if at all possible. After that ride I was sold - I absolutely feel that the Goldwing lives up to all of the hype and then some. I ended up buying a 2008 Leftover for a great price. This was this past weekend :D

To answer your questions specifically...

1 - I was very pleasantly surprised that this bike is so well balanced with what seems to be a very low center of gravity that you really don't notice the weight at all or much of a difference at all in handling. Since I got the bike the dealer warned me to be careful of high-siding the bike which kind of stuck in my head and made me a little more aware of what I was doing but I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

2 - I store my Goldwing in a 10x14' shed and it certainly does take up a lot more room then my Sabre did but I still have plenty of room to get around. It seems to take a little more effort for me to get it positioned right but I've only had it a few days so I'm sure I will get better at it. That said I've seen the dealer do amazing things with bikes on their center stands so I'm sure if you practice you will be able to as well.

3 - As I said I haven't had mine long yet but we've had some pretty hot days here in Mass. While you are riding you will notice that there really isn't any air flow around you at all. Even with the windshield vent open it isn't much. I've been told that you can get various deflectors to help with this. Also I've noticed that after coming from a few long rides back in to the city when the fan kicks on (which it does pretty often) you feel the heat from the engine even with the vents closed. It isn't however unbearable to me but very noticeable.

4 - This is probably where I was surprised the most with my new bike. I feel that even with the added weight and mass this bike seems to be more stable and very easy to handle. Each time I come to a quick stop or start from a stop I always am amazed as how it seems to hold a straight line more than any other bike I've ever had. This also applies for slow speed as well. I'm sure that riding in stop and go traffic for an extended period of time would be a drag but I know that I will still be comfortable and be able to keep myself entertained with the radio an Nav System :)

Again this is my experience and as with anything else opinions vary. Before my test drive I was told that people seem to either love or hate the ride (nothing really in the middle), I personally loved it so much that I bought a bike that night so as I said a test drive would be the best thing for you if at all possible.

Hope this helps.

~ Pete

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
JJ,

Here's my .02. I've ridden for over 35 years various different bikes. I picked up my Wing about 4 years ago. Bought it on Friday, dealer checked it out Sat., Mon. wife & I went on weeks vacation to Thousand Islands.Total mileage aprox 1300 miles. We never rode so long or far. Since than we have routinely put on 500-600 miles a day. We do things like ride to Cleveland for a overnight trip to see Rock & Roll H of F. Next year we have a big trip planned if you get on another thread here. I'm probably boring everyone at this point, but I'm just trying to layout the joys of "Wingdom" ... Is that really a word? If not it should be.

Now as some other guys can attest I sometimes have an alternate view on things. Having said all the above I live in somewhat rural area & ride 5 miles to work, about 2 miles to local retail stores, 1/4 mile to the Gym. Well you get the point. There have been times in the last 3 -4 years where I thought "It's going to be a pain to drag the Wing out for short blast". That's why I picked up Nighthawk about 6 months ago.

So I can see your concern, However if you can have only 1 bike. The times you won't use it will be far exceeded by the Joys you will have on a Wing. Hope this rambiling gives some help.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
However if you can have only 1 bike. The times you won't use it will be far exceeded by the Joys you will have on a Wing. Hope this rambiling gives some help.
+1. My thoughts exactly... I agree with you Fossil....

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely some good points to think about, I have yet to find a dealer in my area that will let me Demo one. Although one of the salesmen owns one and might let me take his for a spin. I guess another major concern for me is that we have small kids and although I dream of me and the wife hoping on the wing and seeing the sites the reality is that for now we are a few years away from that so I dont know if I should bide my time with what I have and then Jump on the Wing Wagon when the time is right for both of us, Does this make sense? Although if I got a Wing now it would be nice and broke in with lots of Farkles by the time she could ride with me! :)

JJ

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
first you have to make up your mind that a wing IS what you want. when you do you'll go get one. until then all you'll have are the same old rehashed questions that noone can really answer for you. who told you all about cruisers that made you get one

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Jerry, welcome to the forum. I went from an 1100 cruiser to a Wing. Initially, I found the weight difficult to deal with in tight areas ( gas stations,parking). I was very nervous but a part of that was worrying about wrecking something so expensive. However, after some miles I'm back to normal. Like anything new and different, you're just going to have learn and time will do that. Lyndon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think due to the price I will be moving into a nice sport tourer without the additional payment plus my wife says I am not old enough for a wing yet :( But I definitely will move into a wing at some point.

JJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts