Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the gap about a month ago for the National SV rally... figured I'd share a few pics since I was on here looking up some stuff for my dad. I used to have an SV, but traded it in last September. But the rallies are so much fun, I don't think I'll ever stop going.

We stayed in Fontana Village, as always, and had some pretty decent weather. Unfortunately, I couldn't talk my buddy out of holding off on heading up 129 on Sunday, so we got caught in a MASSIVE rain storm. Took my leathers about 2 days to dry out. :eek:

Anyway, spent most of the day Monday going up and down the mountain, and then went to Great Smoky Mountain National Park on Tuesday afternoon. Traffic was pretty heavy, but the scenery made it worth it. On our way back down the hill, we stopped along a river and I had a great chat with a guy on a Harley. He said they make the trip from Chicago every year, rent a cabin, and just pretty much do nothin' for a whole week. Personally, I can't think of a better vacation than that.

It rained Wednesday morning, but cleared up by around noon. Did a few more runs and started visiting with friends I hadn't seen in a couple years, as they started to roll into town. Rain Wednesday night postponed our "micro brew" night, where everyone brought a local beer to share. I don't drink, but still contributed, and brought some Cream Soda for myself.

By Thursday, I started to get a little worn out from riding. Trips to Wheelers, 28 and 129 a countless number of times, and the fact that I was staying up late and getting up early, really started to take its toll. The micro-brew beer party turned into a great get-together, and I think everyone at the rally was there. We're a small group, that maybe only had 70 people this year, but it was a lot of fun. I think I stayed up until about 230am that night just hanging out.

Friday and Saturday seemed like a blur. Especially Saturday evening. Everyone was trying to get their things packed for an early departure Sunday morning. It was hot, humid, and everyone was pretty tired from the weeks events. And of course the depression sinks in... knowing that it's mostly likely going to be at least another year before you see many of your friends again. But I guess that's what keeps me going... always looking forward to the next rally.

Well, here's some pics.

Oh... also hit the 10,000 mile mark on the Duc. So much for that "unreliable" thing everyone told me about. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few shots the local photographers took.

I'm convinced the designers of the SC series travelled to Deals Gap and the surrounding area to make a bike that was so much fun, you'd consider moving there just so you could ride it more. In the city, and at low speed, the bike is terribly painful. But on a road loaded with big sweeping curves and a few hairpins... :cool:

I don't think there was every a time I didn't get off the bike with a huge smile on my face. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great pictures. I sure miss the gap and sport bikes. Love my GW but I had sport bikes all my life but at 65 now my reflexes are not what they use to be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts