Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2012 Blue HPNAMC is sitting in the shed.

I rode it back to NC from Chattanooga 450 mile maiden voyage.

First impressions.

Bad stuff first then Ill cheer ya up with the good stuff.

The controls are hard to find even with the floorboards/heel toe installed. I have to lift my foot off the floor board to get at the rear brake peddle instead of just pivoting my heal. This is a problem during slow speed maneuvers. ... a little wobbly coming to stops also. I find myself hunting around for both the toe and heel controls. Probably will just need time to get used to it. Seems like the controls dont come out far enough from the bike.

Got stuck in the rain. Turned on the heated seat .. didnt really feel to much heat.

I kept realizing that I locked my elbows. Maybe risers ... or get my body moved to back and inch or two (trim seat).

So mainly I have some Ergo issues to work out.

Whooo ! That wind sure does throw the bike around as does passing the big rigs. Helmet caught a few gusts too. Ummm interesting.

Good stuff.

The bike was very responsive throttle wise and handles great. The border of NC/TN West of Asheville along I-40 is a good first time run. The bike and I had some intimate moments. It did rain on me for a hundred miles or so. I was pleasantly surprised with a few things. I could maintain 65 in rain with a positive feel in handling. ... and I didnt get as wet as I would have if I were on my VTX or other cruisers. Gas mileage wasnt too bad. I got about 130 to a 1/2 tank. 130 miles is about where I needed to stop for a brake .... this was the approximate distance I went on the VTX also. I love the huge mirrors. They are almost as big as the ones on my wifes car. Headlights and Hibeams are outstanding also. Needed to turn on the high beams to be seen while it was raining. Got flashed a few times.

Theres alot about the bike I like. I will need to get used to it. It definitely isnt a cruiser.

The deal ...
23757 for the New wing plus tax
6700 for my 08 vtx 1800 T wit 36k on it
1025 for 84 month bumper to bumper, then lifetime warranty on the engine.
1000 in my choice accessories. (I paid for labor)
3.99 for 72
Southern Honda of Chattanooga.

One thing I didnt realize until I was on the ride back. The dealer didnt give me the stock parts off the bike. I want those !

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Enjoy it and ride safe!

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Time will bring you a better pleasure I'm sure. Ergos; Highway pegs & Backrest. They are the 1st two to put on the list.

Congrats & Good Luck. Make sure you post some pics of the new wheels.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nice update sum! First thing, call the dealer and ask about the OEM parts. Second, about the brake, if you didn't get the brake lever with the boards (Kury?) get one...it has a higher lift than the stocker. Yes the h/t takes some getting used to for most riders, but 'most' make the transition no worries. Cross winds are more troublesome on full dressed tourers than even bagger cruisers due to the major increase in (fairing) bodywork and side area. Kind of like a Sunfish vs a nice catamaran with a full main and a jib. also, as with any big dresser bike, be wary of riding in the rain (especially heavy rain) as the volume of water on the roadway can catch you unaware and create a hydroplane scenario unexpectedly. All bikes have a limit as to how much water they can transverse before s**t happens; then it could hit the fan suddenly. Not a GL only issue, just a big bike in general issue. As to locking the elbows, you're likely just tense riding the bigger bike, relax and let the bike do it's thing. Just like flying an airplane, don't muscle it, finesse the controls, you'll be amazed at what she can do if you lead the dance without pushing her across the dance floor.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Once you get used to everything....You will never look back. Sounds like a good deal. Congrats.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
congrats on the purchase of your new wing

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be a long relationship, you and your new Wing. Ride safe and enjoy. Post some pics for us to see....

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Congrats on the new family member! Hey can you please tell us the power difference between the VTX1800 and the wing? I have heard that the VTX1800 is a beast and plenty powerful. Thanks and again congrats!! :D

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Welcome to our world. That first ride is full of ambivalence. Some aspects you will get used to and others you will change. After riding 20,000 miles on mine I'm convinced a little handlebar repositioning is needed. Get an Utopia backrest and some highway pegs of your choice and then work it from there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome ! Hope you enjoy the ride. As far as wind is concerned the wing is the least affected than any other bike I've owned .

·
Registered
402 Posts
I can't believe you parked it in the shed! Perhaps that just until you get the living room door widened. :D

CONGRATULATIONS!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all.

The VTX 1800 was EXTREMELY hard to walk away from. I may have mentioned it before. I bought it in 3/10 for $8400 from Chattanooga. When I traded it, it had 38k miles on it. That was to date the best bike Ive owned. I had ZERO problems with it. It did eat up tires though.

Even though the VTX 1800 is an animal. I wanted more power ... I wanted more throttle ... and it was, after all, 4 years old. But surely has plenty of life left. In took me on a solo ride to and from Sturgis in 2010 and it took me on a solo ride to and from Americade/Laconia in 2011. "Serve someone else well my friend !"

I didnt just go for the Wing. I first researched the Rocket. But that bike simply has too many issues. I then compared the Wing to the Harley Ultra. Harley wanted what the Wing cost me out the door with incredible coverages.

The Wing is different. Not a cruiser. But, I never had enough room to carry what I wanted to carry on cruisers (because of long rides) and wifey wasnt really comfortable. Now she has a lounge chair.

Im my opinion, you really cant compare the VTX to Wing. But if I had to, Id say the power of the Wing out does the VTX. But, that 1800 is no slouch .. and I cant understand why Honda is not using it in another platform.

To be honest though, I wanted abs. I could do with less gadgets. Im a simple man ! .. but you cant get a level 1 with abs. So ..

Ill post pics soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts