Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened yesterday. A 22 year old male driver in Elicott City, Maryland drove into the back of a Honda Goldwing that was stopping for a red light. The 22 year old rear ended the Goldwing that had a 68 year old female passenger who died at the hospital shortly after the accident. The male dirver of the Goldwing is in the hospital.
One of my big fears ! Drivers not paying attention. I always, always, leave it in first gear and watch my mirrors at stop lights and stop signs in order to get put of the way for the cager that is not paying attention. One of the good things that stuck from the Motorcycle Safety Course that I took when I got back into riding.
Everyone be careful out there, and watch the mirrors when stopping.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
There is more to the lighted rear spoiler on a Wing than just a farkle. I changed out the reflector on my '84 interstate to the Aspy trunklight, and had a lighted spoiler on on my 1500. Put the spoiler on my '09 this winter. It gets noticed big time!

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
My father commented during my trip to the Pacific Northwest that the spoiler light with a modulator got his attention big-time. So much so that we spent most of the trip with me in trail position so that anyone behind us would easily pick up that we were stopping.

Needless to say, now that I'm back in Northern VA, I have ordered the spoiler and modulator for my ride.

Rapier

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The rear spoiler brake light is a big help, I don't have a flasher on mine but I usually work the hand lever several times so the lights flash. Here in Calif. the highway patrol suggests that when at a red light, motorcycles riders go between the cars to the front to avoid getting hit from the rear.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Last week we had a crotch rocket get embedded into the front end of a car at a traffic light about a mile from my house. The bike rider survived unscathed. I commented to Mz. Vickie about it that the one from " behind " is the only one you don't anticipate . This intersection is clear and visible for a 1/4 mile. I had to reassure Mz. Vickie that a crotch-rocket is an invisible bike from the rear and the driver of the car was looking " beyond " the bike. I like the notion of pumping the brake lever to draw attention. The tail end of the Wing has more light force and presence, stock, than any bike on the road; but a bit more lighted presence may make the difference.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rapier,

After reading this post I want to order a modulator.

I have the Honda factory spoiler and light on my '10 Wing (installed by dealer). What modulator do you (or others on this forum) recommend? I just want the spoiler LEDS to flash, not the rest of the rear lights.

Is this a simple plug-in-line with the spoiler light electronic device? Is the flash rate or number of flashes adjustable?

Rob

·
Registered
718 Posts
For those of you that have taken a GWRRA rider course, one of the first things they tell you when you complete each exercise is to shift down into 1st gear and plant your left foot when you come to a stop just for the reason you will be prepared for a quick take off should the need arise to avoid getting hit when you are stopped and someone does not notice you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
More lights, unusal appearence, modulators, use of safety vests, all this helps keep you safe from the inattentive driver. But nothing is for sure. I don't remember the exact numbers, but a very large group of Police officers are rear ended every year during a traffic stop even with all the lighting they have and off the road on the shoulder.

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
For those of you that have taken a GWRRA rider course, one of the first things they tell you when you complete each exercise is to shift down into 1st gear and plant your left foot when you come to a stop just for the reason you will be prepared for a quick take off should the need arise to avoid getting hit when you are stopped and someone does not notice you.
We should all do exactly this!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
when i was younger we were taught that if we were the first one at a stop light to pull in between the cross walk markings

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts

I've always done that exact thing, motorcycle or car. Always try to give yourself an out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marcsvette - You are so right ! But I head it this way. "You can not teach common sense and you can not fix stupidity"

rapier - Please let me know how the sopiler and modulator work out; easy install or a pain. I had a head light and brake light modulators on a 750 Aero that I had and it was easy to install them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
just missed me

Just last night I stopped to turn left onto my street off of a narrow 2 lane state highway, and I stopped left of center in my lane. The person behind me decided to go into the grass with her right side tires and go by me with just a few inches to spare rather than stop and wait (like the law says you are supposed to do) It scared the %^&$ out of me. If I had tried to take off, I bet I would have gotten plowed. Next time, I will stop in the middle of the lane in hopes the stupid that always lives out here doesn't have an avenue to be stupid.:eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The rear spoiler brake light is a big help, I don't have a flasher on mine but I usually work the hand lever several times so the lights flash. Here in Calif. the highway patrol suggests that when at a red light, motorcycles riders go between the cars to the front to avoid getting hit from the rear.
Like Joe, I usually keep working the hand brake until I'm convinced that the car behind me is coming to a stop. I also stop at one side of the lane (usually the left), with my front wheel at least aimed outside of the bumper of the car in front, so I've got someplace to go (or at least I hope to be pushed clear of the car, and not smooshed between them).
All you can do is increase your odds as much as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.