Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work today on my 98 SE at 30MPH it died! The engine stopped, all electrics shut down and I coasted to the side of the road. It was as if I hit the kill switch by accident (wouldn't be the first time) but I did not. I checked all the fuses including the main and the battery is fine. Turning the ignition key produces no lights of any kind on the instrument panel. I had to have it picked up and brought home ($175) and not sure what to do from here. It is either really simple or really serious. I would like a shot at checking out the really simple before I try to get it to a shop. What are the possibilities?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Driving home from work today on my 98 SE at 30MPH it died! The engine stopped, all electrics shut down and I coasted to the side of the road. It was as if I hit the kill switch by accident (wouldn't be the first time) but I did not. I checked all the fuses including the main and the battery is fine. Turning the ignition key produces no lights of any kind on the instrument panel. I had to have it picked up and brought home ($175) and not sure what to do from here. It is either really simple or really serious. I would like a shot at checking out the really simple before I try to get it to a shop. What are the possibilities?
I hope more knowledgeable folks chime in, but here is my 2 cents...

1. Problem with kickstand interlock sensor, making the Wing think the stand is down? Maybe raise/lower the sidestand a few times and try again. Unlikely since you imply you have no lights on the dash or elsewhere.

2. Main fuse or specific fuses would have been likely; maybe recheck.

3. Battery terminals not attached securely.

4. Bad stator/alternator.

5. Something wrong with the kill switch; try switching it to each of 3 positions a few times and then back to middle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd vote for battery terminals. And if the terminals on the battery are good, follow the negative side cable to make sure it's still attached to the frame.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A similiar thing happens to me a few years ago, out in the sticks on the way to Redding from Sacramento (near Chico, CA - Northern CA). I was going along at about 60mph & my wing suddenly died. I had it towed back home at the cost of $250. I called the wing mechanic & he said to go get a mc battery charger, try to charge it & see if I could get the bike to him. That worked for me. Turned out it was not a maintenance-free battery & was dry, plus the brushes on my alternator were worn, so the charging system wasn't working correctly. That was a GL1500. I don't know if it's the same, but the circumstances were kind of similar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have since added mc coverage on my AAA membership with the 200 mile option, although the AAA tow companies at that time all refused the tow because it would have taken them out of the area for quite a while. Anyway, it was a major inconvenience and we had to reschedule the trip, so I pay closer attention to maintenance stuff now.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Assuming the Battery is good and the main 30 amp fuse is good. Check your Battery terminals.
The power flow is From the Battery is to the hot side of Starter relay A, where it then splits off and through the 30 amp main fuse, to the Ignition switch, in the On position power is passed onto the relay and fuse box.
If you are not getting any dash lights or gauges, it could be some place in this string.
From the Northwest corner
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
dead wing

I would say most likely a bad alternator. If it was a bad battery it would likely shut diown progressively. Good luck, Park nose out for safety.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You may want to check the grounding point on the right side of the frame..forward of & up from the battery; I'm going over my '88 that I got mo ago.
I noticed @ the ground point there is a quarter size rust spot around the connections.
Just surface rust, it looks like someone cleaned it at one point. anyway, I'll be removing that spot to be certain it's clean then covering it with liquid tape..then I'll know for sure that possibility has been taken off my list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great feedback and good ideas, I plan to check all of them. Now that I've had a day to recover from the trama and a chance to think it over, I would agree with the general consensus that it is an electrical rather than mechanical problem. I have exercised the kill switch. kickstand sensor and reverse to the point I feel they are not the problem. My head tells me that the next logical check would be to see if I have B+ at the ignition switch but I'm not sure how to even get at the back side of the ignition assembly. My thinking is that if I can find it there, I will at least have a starting point ----- to go where, I'm not sure yet. I have until next weekend to loose sleep about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a follow up to whatever happened to my dead wing. The problem turned out to be the 30 amp main fuse. Not the one inside the box marked "MAIN FUSE", that would be too easy. If you unscrew the "MAIN FUSE" housing and move it to one side, behind it is a cluster of wires terminating in a module with a cap over the top. Removing the cover exposes the 30 amp fuse - which was blown. I replaced it and have been put 100 miles on it since. I have no idea why it blew, but now have a supply of replacements just in case. Just thought you all would like to know and now you too can sleep tonight.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad you're up and running. I firmly believe that fuses have a lifespan limit, and after the requisite period, they just go poof. Never had it happen to me, but know lots that have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm going to keep that in the back of my mind, pick up spares as I now have a 98 1500A. Never know when you could blow a fuse, especially on a 13 year old bike. Thanks for the followup on the fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts