Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a car tire in the rear of my old 99 valkery interstate, I now have an 03 goldwing 1800. I want to add a car tire on the rear, I'd like input as to what might be a good tire to use. any and all comment are welcome.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Not a darksider myself, but I've heard lots of good stuff about Kuhmo, I thing chopin114 uses one. Dookoo runs a c/t on the back of his 1800 and he does track days with it. Hopefully they'll chime in on this.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I put a Michelin Alpin ZP on my GL1800 this fall. The jury is still out, but it certainly doesn't feel dramatically different than my MT. I only picked it because it seemed to be the currently popular flavor this summer.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Welcome to a very great place and I myself use the Michelin alpin winter zp (run flat)and love it, I have 16K on it and should get another 16K. I may not run as hard as DooKoo but I do give it a hard time. The safety of a car tire is the first thing I love and that is just the start but if you already used 1 you know why we do it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
My Kumho has been a great tire, and still is at 12,000 miles. However, from a wear point, " golddragon's " Mitch Alpine has me beat hands down.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I run a Kumho Ecsta 195/55 RF 16. I have over 3,000 miles on it with no major complaints. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just passed 20,000 miles on my Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP tire, and I LOVE IT! I pulled it off yesterday, because my local Honda dealership thinks the mechanic might crash and burn during a test ride, even though I circled the entire country, towing a trailer, riding up and down mountains, over gravel roads, into and out of potholed campgrounds and through cities with pavement that resembles the worst streets in Tijuana. My tire still has LOTS of tread on it, so after the service, I'm swapping right back to it.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I just passed 20,000 miles on my Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP tire, and I LOVE IT! I pulled it off yesterday, because my local Honda dealership thinks the mechanic might crash and burn during a test ride, even though I circled the entire country, towing a trailer, riding up and down mountains, over gravel roads, into and out of potholed campgrounds and through cities with pavement that resembles the worst streets in Tijuana. My tire still has LOTS of tread on it, so after the service, I'm swapping right back to it.
Plus 1 on the Michelin Primacy ZP

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Also.....I have the Michelin Primacy HP zero pressure. It's the summer tire, where the Alpine is the Winter tire.

How much tire pressure to you use on the Michelin Alpins. The Michelin site says 51lbs max per tire, but how much on a GL1800.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Well, today I received my 195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat. Mounting the tire on the rim was a booger, tanamount to sticking a wet noodle up a wildcat's butt. Since this is my first attempt at Darksiding, I was apprehensive about it all. After mounting, balancing and installing the tire, I took it out for a timid test drive. I read somewhere that most people running the Alpin were putting 29 lbs of pressure in them so thats where I started at. I didn't notice much difference between the MC tire and this one as far as handling was concerned. Mind you, I was taking it easy in turns and not trying to push any envelope. I rode about 15 miles with my son riding behind on his GW and we kept in touch via CB at all times. On country roads under 50 mph the bike seemed much quieter and did not show any signs of wiggle or tendency to wander around. My son told me that tire to road contact patch looked great at all times. Then we got on the highway and I took her up to 70 and it was steady as a rock. The ride seemed smoother and quieter and with every mile my apprehension got less and less. Now I know that 15 miles isn't much of a test but I like to take things slow and easy and tomorrow I will do a longer ride. I just thought somebody might be interested in a first impression. So I will gradually increase the range and post any anomalies I might encounter. Right now I am all grins. If anyone else is running the same tire, you might chirp in and tell me/us what tire pressure your running. That might be helpful. Later....:Happy: Isaac

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Well, today I received my 195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat. Mounting the tire on the rim was a booger, tanamount to sticking a wet noodle up a wildcat's butt. Since this is my first attempt at Darksiding, I was apprehensive about it all. After mounting, balancing and installing the tire, I took it out for a timid test drive. I read somewhere that most people running the Alpin were putting 29 lbs of pressure in them so thats where I started at. I didn't notice much difference between the MC tire and this one as far as handling was concerned. Mind you, I was taking it easy in turns and not trying to push any envelope. I rode about 15 miles with my son riding behind on his GW and we kept in touch via CB at all times. On country roads under 50 mph the bike seemed much quieter and did not show any signs of wiggle or tendency to wander around. My son told me that tire to road contact patch looked great at all times. Then we got on the highway and I took her up to 70 and it was steady as a rock. The ride seemed smoother and quieter and with every mile my apprehension got less and less. Now I know that 15 miles isn't much of a test but I like to take things slow and easy and tomorrow I will do a longer ride. I just thought somebody might be interested in a first impression. So I will gradually increase the range and post any anomalies I might encounter. Right now I am all grins. If anyone else is running the same tire, you might chirp in and tell me/us what tire pressure your running. That might be helpful. Later....:Happy: Isaac
Welcome to a new riding experience. Say goodbye to the howling and growling for the life of the tire. My Alpin's are in. Should have them mounted next month. I'll compare them to my present KUMHO.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't have very many miles on mine yet. Maybe 200-300. I'm running it at right around 30psi. Quite frankly, I was expecting a much bigger change when I put it on, and figured turning would feel really weird, but it doesn't. The thing I noticed the most is the tendency to wander downhill on a cambered road. That still bugs me, and if I go back to a MC tire will probably be the main reason why. This summer I intend to give it a good long trial. It certainly does give a smoother ride.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
I run 32 on my Michelin as well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I realize the original post is a few years old but I don't want to pass up an opportunity to wax eloquent re. c/t's. I ran a 195/55 Hankook for 30k. It still had tread but since it started raining here in Nor Cal I figured the time was right to get a new c/t. Went with a Mastercraft (Cooper) this time as I wanted to try a different size. Went with a 205/60 this time. So far, so good, but only have a couple hundred on it. Time will tell. With the Hankook I played with the psi, trying to find a "sweet spot" so the tire wore a little prematurely. I'm gonna stick with 32psi this time to see how it works. For me, the practicality and cost savings is what it is all about. Both of these tires were only about $125 off the rack, whereas a Michelin R/F is substantially more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.