Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone from fairbanks to dead horse alaska. Is this a seasonal road and can you make time on it? I need info...lots of info..please. Planning a ride..

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Don't now anything about, but if you cross the border at Blaine, Lynden or Sumas give us a call and I'll buy coffee.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Sounds daunting, but doable. Here's what I found on the road conditions so far:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Dalton_Highway

Once more, keep me in the loop. Let me know your route if you go ahead; and who knows...:sCo_hmmthink:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I've driven the Dalton Hwy 3 times when I lived in Fairbanks, is it a road I'd ride on a bike, it gravel road once you leave the Elliot Hwy. Once you leave Coldfoot the next fuel stop is in Deadhorse which is 270 mile north of Coldfoot, so carry extra fuel. Is it seasonal, I wouldn't want to ride a bike on it in the winter which is from September to May, the temps can be brutal at -50.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Lee, do you have a hitch on your Wing? A hitch rack might be a good place to carry a couple gallons of go juice for this jaunt.
My Dad worked in the high Arctic in the early 40's with the Hudson's Bay Co, always wanted to see it for myself. Anybody want a job as a sales manager so I can tag along on this one?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Prudhoe Bay -

Hey IBALEE, Man - you are planning quite a trip if you are heading all the way to Dead Horse. A few years ago I made a (off and on) solo run up to Alaska through British Columbia in July - August. I camped most of the time even while on the Fairbanks - Anchorage loop. The fartherest north I rode was to Circle Hot Springs (North of Fairbanks). There was lots of beautiful country to see along with an assortment of Moose, Elk, Bears and humming bird sized mosquitoes. When I stopped one time for gas there was a huge (obviously) male moose standing in a creek chewing his cud. The locals told me his name was Buddy and he often came down out of the mountains to watch the traffic go by during the summer months.

Take versatile/multi-functional/multi-layered clothing because the weather can change from sunshine to cloudy rain and then to a sprinkling of snow depending on the altitude. I'd also recommend that you start off with a set of brand new tires and install a good belly pan on your bike to fend off the gravel used for road repair. One BMW rider that I met told me that he was stranded for a week in a small town out side of the Denali Preserve waiting for a tire to be trucked in. I'm not sure how far he'd traveled up the Dalton Hwy but I was amazed at the gravel rash all over his bike.

If I made the run again I'd kick it off with a round-trip ticket on the Washington to Alaska ferry :)

Michael

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys thank you all after talking with a few people and looking at this ride I decided to wait until next year. I am going for a 10 thousand in 8 days this year.

·
Registered
835 Posts
10K Mile Trip -

Mercy Ibalee, Using some rough estimates from an old log book, covering that kind of mileage would take you from New Mexico to Prudhoe Bay and back with a few miles to spare.

If I tried to make a 10,000 mile trip in 8 days - and ever laid down after day three, I'd need at least a couple of hand fulls of Ibuprofin and a forklift to stand me up so I could get back on my bike. :)

Good Luck, Michael

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Mercy Ibalee, Using some rough estimates from an old log book, covering that kind of mileage would take you from New Mexico to Prudhoe Bay and back with a few miles to spare.

If I tried to make a 10,000 mile trip in 8 days - and ever laid down after day three, I'd need at least a couple of hand fulls of Ibuprofin and a forklift to stand me up so I could get back on my bike. :)

Good Luck, Michael
Mike after looking and hearing about getting to dead horse I would rather do it on a bike other than my Wing...I don't want to tear it up. I will be getting another bike but most likely not this year.

I am planning on doing two 1500/24 early on then ove a grand each remaining days to get it under eight days......

FYI I used Ibuprofin each day of last years big ride... it helped with the aches and pains...I prefer to prevent discomfort and if taking an over the counter pill works then I am okay with that....lol

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I'd seriously consider a Veradero or a R1200GS type for that one Lee. Much as I hate to say it, after being on one and knowing what they're like, I'd lean towards the Beemer!:YellowWow:

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bud funny you say that I was looking at the 1200 GS BMWs it may be the one...

·
Registered
835 Posts
BMW R series -

Hey IBALEE, Of course there were some Harley Davidson’s but the bikes that I crossed paths with most often in BC and Alaska were an assortment of Goldwings and BMW's. The BMW rider I met returning back from the Dalton Hwy was riding one of the R series twin cylinder Beemers. He was equipped with all the on/off road stuff - cleated knobby tires, oversized belly pan and crash bars along with a huge set of sheet metal bags and a trunk. He also carried a bristle brush to clean the mud from the cooling fins of his cylinders. Believe it or not - the most dangerous part of the whole Alaskan trip was the splash and spray of mud and gravel from on coming traffic. I carried a plastic gallon milk jug cut out so I could scoop up creek water to flush out the radiator coils every now and again.

I agree though, I think an armour plated BMW R or GS series would be a great Dalton Hwy bike.

Michael :)

·
Banned
468 Posts
If you ever decide to take the Haul road I recommend watching Rick's Alaska Motorcycle Trip videos (just search it on Youtube, there are seven videos). Warning: you may change your mind about the ride after watching his experience.

You can see his entire report at Rick's Alaska Motorcycle Trip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts