Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start my bike today and found battery was dead. Could not find any switches on (like radio). It was running a few days ago when I just warmed it up for a few minutes without riding it. I have a trickle charger on it now. Any ideas on what might have caused the problem?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
How old is the battery? Is one of the cables loose?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. I just bought the bike recently ('99). Battery looks fairly new. Connections seemed okay, but breather tube was not connected.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rick,
Do yourself a favour and buy a maintenance free battery. They last for years and no tube to worry about.
Strat

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1. Have your battery load tested.
2. Buy a Battery Tender and keep your bike plugged in, when not riding.
Nothing major is still "on" when you shut the ignition off.
3. Do not use a conventional battery charger, nor a trickle charger as they can over charge and cook a battery since there if not usually an automatic shut off, nor a float mod as w/a battery maintainer such as the Battery Tender brand.
BTW-Battery Tender now had 3 different Solar Panel equiped Battery Tenders available!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
If it's 1200,1500 or 1800, every thing should be off when the ignation is off unless there are some after market lights that might not be wired properly.
Some times Battery just die. A couple weeks ago a friend, call he was stuck out in the middle of no where. Stopped for gas and the battery was dead when he tried to start the bike. I found him one at a Walmart 60 miles away. Another rider went and got the battery for him.
Yup when their time is up they die.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Everything is NOT off when you shut the ignition off! If you have a clock and to keep the radio station presets there is a little draw on the battery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought so, Stratman. I have one, too. Currently, I'm in the process of trying to build a replica of a Gibson Blueshawke. Goldwings and guitars - what could be better?

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts