Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently heard of a rider that has had 2 successive Bridgeston G704 rear tyres de-laminate on him ! The last had only done around 12,000 kms.

Are there any other riders that have had a similar experience with them ?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Separation G704

Well, this is interesting. My own rear tyre has now delaminated or separated at 11,820Kms. :eek:

Tyre pressures have been religiously maintained. The bike hasn't done any trips in adverse conditions. :)

The tyre is a 180/60-16 G704 Bridgestone.

The local distributor have said they'll supply a free replacement .... I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Within our area I now know of 3 tyres (G704's) that have suffered the same fate. Failure has occurred at 16K, 12K & mine at almost 12K.

Are you sure you guys are not having a problem ? Or are you just replacing the Bridgestones with an alternative ?
:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Well, this is interesting. My own rear tyre has now delaminated or separated at 11,820Kms. :eek:

Tyre pressures have been religiously maintained. The bike hasn't done any trips in adverse conditions. :)

The tyre is a 180/60-16 G704 Bridgestone.

The local distributor have said they'll supply a free replacement .... I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Within our area I now know of 3 tyres (G704's) that have suffered the same fate. Failure has occurred at 16K, 12K & mine at almost 12K.

Are you sure you guys are not having a problem ? Or are you just replacing the Bridgestones with an alternative ?
:confused::confused:
Replaced mine with a car tire. Don't know if it's immune from de-lamination, but riders are getting a lot good mileage out of them.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
How do you find the car tyre handles in corners ?
Sweet. If you didn't know you were running on a car tire you wouldn't know the difference. Been up in the twisties of West Virginia with some forum riding buds from here and although I wasn't the lead dog it wasn't because I was slow or over cautious.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I know some mfgrs have different compounds for different areas. And some countries have different requirements. Could the problem be tires that are produced for your part of the world? Just a thought....

·
Registered
741 Posts
I run a car tire as well and love it. However, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't replace a questionable tire with the same. Your safety and peace of mind just is not worth it. A CT has a much higher load rating. If you do run the same tire again, check hot tire temps as well if you have access to a means to check (I.E. IR, infrared temp guns are pretty inexpensive nowadays). My tires are usually in the 150 degree range when being run hard. If they are unusually hot, tires will delaminate. The Wing is about the heaviest bike out there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know a couple guys who run the car tires ,one on a Wing the other on a 1500 Honda cruiser. the curser now eats up front rubber ,however the 1800 Wing does well ?

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I will just cherp in quick about running a car tire. 13,000 miles now and no problems. 70% tread left on the tire. Performance is the the same or better. Very quiet tire.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What make/type/size car tyre is popular ?

Good point about the running temperature Dookoo, I have an IR gun and will check the hot running temp. Summer is approaching so it'll be a good time to monitor them.

What is the OEM tyre in the US for the 2012 ?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
What make/type/size car tyre is popular ?

Good point about the running temperature Dookoo, I have an IR gun and will check the hot running temp. Summer is approaching so it'll be a good time to monitor them.

What is the OEM tyre in the US for the 2012 ?

Here is the link to " Murgie's " info site: http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt. All the registered darkside riders are listed there along with some popular tires used. Dookoo and I run the Kuhmo 195/55/R16 Run-flat. We are happy with the handling and performance. As always, mileage depends a lot on riding style, etc. I believe the 2012 are running Bridgestone 709 on the front, not sure of the rear without checking.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would anyone have a pic of the Kuhmo 195/55/R16 Run-flat showing the tyre profile as mounted ?

Sounds like an intriguing option

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While I wait for my replacement tyre & think about the car tyre option: I have to wonder how the various insurance companies accept the fact that a car tyre has been fitted to a motor-cycle ?

Have any of you had a claim (perish the thought :eek:) with a car tyre fitted ? :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
While I wait for my replacement tyre & think about the car tyre option: I have to wonder how the various insurance companies accept the fact that a car tyre has been fitted to a motor-cycle ?

Have any of you had a claim (perish the thought :eek:) with a car tyre fitted ? :eek:
Can't give you definitive advice on that. The car tire won't cause an accident. Bad driving and bad drivers will. Any tire is only as good as the rider controlling the bike and from my recent experience the car tire lived up to its expectations on quick stops. More rubber on the road meant less rubber in the air.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts