Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a couple of threads about going darkside but I haven't noticed anything about double darkside. To keep from changing my front tire twice a year, I am contemplating a Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45 130X70H18 Rear tire for the front of my '08. There is some discussion on another board right now with about 30% of those running this tire on the front having some problems- most notibaly a buzzing. The majority report no problem. Anyone here Double Dark an if so have any problem with this tire?

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
We saw a few Doubles at the Gap. Its a pretty good looking set up.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Last year saw one double darkside with a battleaxe on the front. 15,000 miles and the tire was cupped really bad. He has sense removed that tire and put an E3 on the front, still dark on the back and he is back to being happy.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
The 08 requires a radial tire. The 130/70H18 is a bias ply construction. Wouldn't recommend it

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
:eek:I'm darkside on the rear only.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
The 08 requires a radial tire. The 130/70H18 is a bias ply construction. Wouldn't recommend it
Most of the folks that I met with doubles stated they were conservation riders. They seemed to go away from doubling if you like to ride hard.

Personally I was VERY impressed with the riding I saw out of Chopin114. His C/T gave him a huge advantage in the rain and did not leave him hung out in the curves. The White Wolf:D....can flat out ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
No Darkside for me , I'm keeping it old school

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
One comment from a Double Darksider was the BT had a harder center with softer sides. His point was as a touring tire it would go the extra miles. Can't argue with the deep tread pattern like the CT on the rear. When it's all about traction in varied conditions, the deeper the better. It looked natural on the Wing. It looked just like the front tires on Harleys.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Just remember, if you put a rear tire on the front, you have to reverse the arrow.
Yes and no. Everyone, and I mean everyone, of the Double D's we spoke with said they did it both ways without any noticeable change in wear or handling. Of course these were mostly east state riders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have read on www.mcdarksidersformotion.com that the reason for this is that the rear tire pushes, and the front tire is being pushed. If you compare a front tire to a rear tire, you will notice that the tread is reversed. I don't fully understand the principle behind it, but I think the tire manufactures do. I'm sure the average rider would not notice the difference, east or west, but there must be a reason. Just saying

MichaelJ

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I have read on www.mcdarksidersformotion.com that the reason for this is that the rear tire pushes, and the front tire is being pushed. If you compare a front tire to a rear tire, you will notice that the tread is reversed. I don't fully understand the principle behind it, but I think the tire manufactures do. I'm sure the average rider would not notice the difference, east or west, but there must be a reason. Just saying

MichaelJ
Yes sir. Makes sense to me too. Just like car tires: All technical understanding is against it; all experience is for it. Do I believe what I read or believe what I hear ?????? So far listening to voices of experience has worked for me. I reason ( a loose term for me ) that the front tire is just along for the ride and that any appreciable applied forces would only come from braking.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
ok... let me see here. C/T on front and rear, arrow on front tire to rear, front and rear treads reversed, bike rolls forward, forces during braking, pushing vs being pushed. Maybe for this topic, I'll not try to figger it out but just ride the darn thing :confused:

Which way do I face when I sit on the bike?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can see the rationaile for reversing it as it is being pushed instead of doing the pushing, but, I wonder if its abilty to shed water would be affected if reversed.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I am also darkide on rear and for me I just need more info before going double darkside. There's lots of discussion on the 1800 and Saunders forum on double darkside. The lab rats that have gone double darkside have a ton of experience and knowledge to study to make an informed choice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What year wing do you have? Is that Yokohama the one they call the "Avid Envigor"? If so that is the next rear I want to try. Right now I have a General G-Max with over 13K and it is barely starting to wear and handles above average but I have heard some great things about the Yokohama.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forgot to ask...do you have that Pilot on the front mounted with the arrow or in reverse direction.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
The people who buy advertising in that magazine are motorcycle tire distributors.

No magazine is going to tell people that it's okay to run a car tire, for liability reasons - we know that. But to declare it's unsafe and dangerous without acknowledging that thousands of people have done it safely is nothing more than fear-mongering.
Here is the best research for me....It is unbiased.
I have read thousands of post from people who run a C/T and see nothing but positives. I have ridden along side of folks who run a CT with outstanding results. I want to see post from people who have tried a CT and didn't like it. So far the only negatives I see are from sources who have a reason to be conflicted.

So bring on the negative post

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Yeah well I just throw something in here fellas.

1st I do not have a dog in the fight at all. I probably wouldn't run the C/T but it's not from any fears or such. It's just a choice.
2nd All due respect to Jansboy & Larry the article was by a person only. He very clearly stated that he was unsure of running one, checked with professionals in different aspects of motorcycling & gave his findings based on that. I did find the article interesting (as I pointed out in another thread) but I also pointed out that the DS'ers would have rebuttals for alot that was in the article.
3rd Ref I have seen a few (albeit a few) that have gone back to M/T but the majority stay with it.
4th I think you guys put way too much energy towards defending your position, my advice would be just run what you want, don't worry about converting everyone (believe it or not some people will still run a M/T), & enjoy riding in general. Maybe just subscribe to the practice that if someone asks you tell them your story & give them the info not so much involving yourselves in the dirt kicking practices that exist on both sides of the debate.

You may find that you're alot happier.:D

As alway this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.