Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope everyone's holidays have been warm and healthy.

I am ready to buy a 2021 Goldwing (bagger version)...but, I'm struggling with the manual vs. DCT (and, it looks like 2021 is the last year for manual)

I've test ridden both. The trouble with a test ride is: "the learning for the shifts takes longer to adapt to personal riding styles than your test ride".

Also - the transmission seemed fairly loud. I could hear the transmission above "everything" else.

For those of you on the DCT....any regret? Any loss of riding engagement? I can imagine when it's better....but, it did feel like a big scooter.

For context, I like riding through national parks. Thus far, I have only trailered (or rented) through a few parks. I'd like to be able to hop on a bike and just "go". I'm certain the goldwing (with an aftermarket windscreen) will be perfect for that duty.....

Sometimes choice is a burden....even if an imagined one.

Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i Tossed DCT vs non decision for a bit. Never rode a Goldwing. At first I was all for the non but when I finally got ready I went DCT and never looked back. i like hearing the transmission work, at first it seemed louder but after a couple hundred miles either I blocked it out or it got quieter. the ride mode is more like a “what kind of mood you in today mode“. Flip it to sport and no way you would confuse that with a scooter. The sport mode is game changer and makes twisties really fun. the tour mode is the default and suits the GW well and where I keep it 95% of the time....but when that urge hits sport is there. I thought a would miss shifting but the DCT with the different modes seems like it is always in the right gear so much so that I only tried the push button shift manual once or twice didn‘t care for it. Good luck

·
Registered
2021 GL1800B
4 Posts
I went through the same process a couple of months ago and I was looking at the bagger. After a test ride on a DCT bike it was a clear choice for me. I bought the 6 speed manual. IMO you loose too much of the motorcycle experience with the automatic transmission. It works well but but then again, so does a Vespa. Okay, that would be a very big, well equipped Vespa.

If I lived in a congested area I might feel differently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much for the responses. I guess I'm leaning toward getting the manual as it's really my last chance (2021). If I later want the DCT, there should be plenty to choose from.

appreciate the thoughts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On other forums, you'll notice there's more DCT owners chiming in than 6 speed owners. Seems like us 6 speed owners are the silent majority. I need to shift using a clutch. To me, you drive a DCT, but you ride a manual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On other forums, you'll notice there's more DCT owners chiming in than 6 speed owners. Seems like us 6 speed owners are the silent majority. I need to shift using a clutch. To me, you drive a DCT, but you ride a manual.
I think they sell a lot more DCTs than 6 spds. Heard it is 4 to 1 or even more. Silent minority maybe?

·
Administrator
15,528 Posts
I traded in my 2010 back in June for a 2021. The only one in their shop was a manual shift, and that was okay with me. I have test rode a couple members DCT models and they did impress me. It was in North Carolina and those bikes shifted right when my muscle memory was reaching for a clutch. So, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the DCT.

As for your comment about a windshield; this one isn't as large as the older models but I find it to be just right. I look over the top most of the time, but it is tall enough to cover my melon if needed. Like this morning. I raised it up as it was a little cooler on the way to work than I thought it would be and it creates a nice bubble.

A Goldwing is made for jumping on and going. My 2010 travelled 159,000 miles through 41 States and 5 Provinces. The new one has 9200 miles on it through 9 States. It would be more but this stupid work thing keeps getting in the way.

Pick one, you won't be sorry no matter the choice. Enjoy the ride.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I come from a 2006 and 2017 goldwings with a total of over 260,000 miles . Just purchased a 2021 DCT Tour nov 19 and have a just over 1100 miles on it. Haven't yet had a chance to thrash it in the twisties . But have had it on some very twisty roads . I have not yet dragged the pegs but have already been close.
Now to me the DCT offers the best of both worlds. If you want to be lazy stay in auto , if you want to ride hard in the twisties put it in manual or use the paddles and enjoy. The DCT in auto does take a little getting use to in the twisties.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everyone. I'm so impressed with this community and the helpfulness. I have added a bucket list goal for life....to ride through all the National Parks. I have been agonizing over which motorcycle to buy AND have test ridden everything under the sun. (top tip - if you drag your wife to all these test rides eventually she will tell you just buy one already :))

Anyway - after all the riding, I narrowed it down to the Indian Challenger, the BMW k1600b and the goldwing. I came very close to buying the challenger....but, the build quality was a little lacking and the windshield rattled. The BMW was alluring given the spec sheet. I test rode that machine and found it very top heavy and lacking in low end torque. Also, to me, it didn't seem to handle as well as the Goldwing. The wing just goes into corners so nicely and feels so controlled.

I'll need to spend the $400 or so on a windscreen nearly immediately - I get a huge amount of buffetting with the standard screen.

Thanks again - maybe I'll find some of you out and about. I'm hoping to close this deal prior to year's end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
“I'll need to spend the $400 or so on a windscreen nearly immediately - I get a huge amount of buffetting with the standard screen”.

That is surprising to me I don’t notice much buffeting at all. Not sure if the sales guy showed you but it has a little scoop air foil think that reduces buffeting if you haven’t tried it you probably should before dropping $400. For me it’s a noise or rain advantage Not a buffeting problem. the tour models have a 4 inch taller windshield then non tours. which one are you talking about? mine is the tour and I mostly raise it all the way up to get less wind noise on the highway and keep it low to middle around town. The F4 has a wider and taller model which must make it real quiet on the highway and keep your arms out of the all of the wind. Sometimes I think internet makes people think they really need something whether they need it or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I am ready to buy a 2021 Goldwing (bagger version)...but, I'm struggling with the manual vs. DCT (and, it looks like 2021 is the last year for manual)

I've test ridden both. The trouble with a test ride is: "the learning for the shifts takes longer to adapt to personal riding styles than your test ride".

Also - the transmission seemed fairly loud. I could hear the transmission above "everything" else.

For those of you on the DCT....any regret? Any loss of riding engagement? I can imagine when it's better....but, it did feel like a big scooter.

For context, I like riding through national parks. Thus far, I have only trailered (or rented) through a few parks. I'd like to be able to hop on a bike and just "go". I'm certain the goldwing (with an aftermarket windscreen) will be perfect for that duty.....

Thanks, Chris.
ZERO regret for me. Prior to the actual purchase my concern was if I could really count on it performing well. The answer is yes. I had read that it "learns and adjusts to the riders overall riding habits" and at first I did not feel that was correct. Once I hit the 3000 mile mark I noticed that it was shifting more to my needs, as if I was doing the shifting. Granted it is a subtle change but enough. I have to say the biggest smile that the DCT gets from me is sitting in traffic. Gone are the days of squeeze the clutch, move two feet etc. Now I am not affected by stop and go. When I feel like shifting, well I can, just use the paddles. Is it the same "experience" as the clutch? Close enough for someone riding a Goldwing and not a trail bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ZERO regret for me. Prior to the actual purchase my concern was if I could really count on it performing well. The answer is yes. I had read that it "learns and adjusts to the riders overall riding habits" and at first I did not feel that was correct. Once I hit the 3000 mile mark I noticed that it was shifting more to my needs, as if I was doing the shifting. Granted it is a subtle change but enough. I have to say the biggest smile that the DCT gets from me is sitting in traffic. Gone are the days of squeeze the clutch, move two feet etc. Now I am not affected by stop and go. When I feel like shifting, well I can, just use the paddles. Is it the same "experience" as the clutch? Close enough for someone riding a Goldwing and not a trail bike.
Also the "sound" - well yes one hears it performing when it performs and upon the initial morning start up when the engine is cold. I honestly like it. For me I use it as a gauge towards any problem. Meaning that if the sound becomes strange or different than maybe there is cause for a check up. I had a VTX1300S and that motor always sounded like nuts and bolts were rattling around in it. That was and is the nature of that motor for that bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks, Chris.
Hi Chris - I bought a 2018 DCT Tour Goldwing and now have had it 2 seasons of riding. I can tell you the riding is great with the DCT I really enjoy riding the DCT more then a manual shift. I went up Pikes Peak in Colorado and Grand Fathers mountain in North Carolina without any issues. There where many bikes trying at both locations but all had issues with burning out there clutch and they had to turn back. Another nice item is when you are in stop and go traffic really takes the pressure off your hands and arms - its very nice. I bought mine mid season so a little different because you want to shift and there's nothing there to shift. but from that point on I wouldn't have it any other way the DCT is the way to go - I also pull a trailer with mine without any issues.

Thanks Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks, Chris.
The manual shift is lighter than the DCT. At 5'8" and 170 lbs, that made the difference significant and i went with the manual. Besides, I was used to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Chris, I’ve owned many motorcycles over the last 55 years of riding. I currently own 5. I sold my 2008 Goldwing Airbag model and bought a 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour. I have 0 regrets in going with the DCT. If you think that you will miss clutching and shifting you can always shift in manual mode. I never do. I almost always relax and enjoy the bike in Automatic Tour mode. I have not noticed the loud transmission or felt the need for an aftermarket windshield as the electric adjustable windshield works great for my 5’11” self. My only complaint on my 2018 model is the top case is limiting but Honda corrected that on the new model.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
28 Posts
Thanks much for the responses. I guess I'm leaning toward getting the manual as it's really my last chance (2021). If I later want the DCT, there should be plenty to choose from.

appreciate the thoughts.
I went with the 6-speed manual and absolutely LOVE it hands down over DCT... My brother has the DCT version so yes, I've ridden his and mine and there is no doubt that I made the RIGHT choice for me... The manual transmission shifts silky smooth and with 6 speeds, it's is a dream to cruise down the highway...
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Photograph

1 - 20 of 27 Posts