Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a trip down to the Everglades on Saturday and this time I took a few pics. There are several places to ride that are actually 'in the Everglades' but there is one road that is my favorite. I've heard some people say it's boring or 'nuthin' to see down there' hence, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is Flamingo Road. It runs about 40 miles from the ranger station to the end of the road. At the end of Flamingo Road you are as far south as you can get in the USA unless you run down to Key West but that's another route on another day. I usually don't bring a camera (smartphones don't count) because I find that if I start thinking about taking pics it distracts me from my ultimate goal of relaxing and just melting into the surroundings. Flamingo Road is a very safe, low traffic, low speed (45 to 55mph) road that is only accessible from the ranger station. Once you set your CC you can let your mind wander without fear of cross traffic, heavy traffic, commercial establishments, boom boxes, fumes, noise, etc etc. Maybe this is what is so endearing to me about this place , that is, I just get to take it all in.

Total trip distance from my house is 180 miles; total time is anywhere from 6 to 8 hours depending on how long I soak up the purity of it all while I'm down there :)

I thought I'd post a few pics to help keep the dream alive for the people in colder climates. Hang in there, your time is coming! I'll post a few others; I have posted an album in my profile...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
I wanna more of your Nirvana. Donald, I know what a PITA it is to capture pictures for " others " on a ride. I applaud your efforts because I know you had to be thinking of the rest of us to take the time. I'll requite the favor in April with some Arizona scenery. Paybacks a blitch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Beautiful scenery. 82 degrees in Feb? I could put up with that. What's the white box stuck to your windshield? For tolls, maybe?

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Thanks for thinking of us Donald. I couldn't get past the air temp from the 1st picture.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IronLou that's correct. That's for tolls if/when I am on the turnpike. Sometimes I take the turnpike and other times I don't. I just leave it on there because remembering to bring it (or not) hasn't worked for me ;)

Bill... I know! It has been even warmer than normal the past week or so. That temp of 82F was not while the bike was sitting in the sun nor was it taken immediately after sitting in the sun. That was the temp on the road at the time...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Donald, that's what I thought it was. I mounted mine under the front cowl so it would not be on the windshield. I never have to even think about it and it is out of sight, out of mind. Just had to make sure it didn't interfere with windshield movement. I could never get the dumb thing to read in the toll booth if I had it in my jacket pocket.

·
Premium Member
17,134 Posts
Maybe someday I'll get to ride in Florida, still got 10 state on the east coast to ride. Looks like it could be interesting.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Administrator
26,226 Posts
Thanks Donald. We were there in March last year (not on a Wing though ya lucky dog!). There is some real beauty if one just takes the time to look. We did a day jaunt from Key Largo with our friends and really enjoyed ourselves. Of course we did the tourist thing too, but it was well worth it. We came across the "Robert is Here" fruit stand and raided the Key Kime Juice section. I think that's what happened to my waistline, darn pies!

·
Super Moderator
14,460 Posts
Very nice, thanks for the pictures. I have friends that work there and on the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. I spent a little time working at the Panther Wildlife Refuge but never made it over to the Everglades.
Key West is just 1000 miles from here. One of these days I'll head that way. If things don't get better at work it may be next week.

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Jealous.

I was down in Florida for 10 days in Dec. I was all set to rent a Harley and cruise but my brothers decided they wanted to rent a car and take a car tour. Oh well, another time. It was nice to spend the time with my brothers.

I couldn't believe how flat Florida is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very nice, thanks for the pictures. I have friends that work there and on the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. I spent a little time working at the Panther Wildlife Refuge but never made it over to the Everglades.
Key West is just 1000 miles from here. One of these days I'll head that way. If things don't get better at work it may be next week.
Just do it ! Then enjoy bike week on the way north..... Then, and only then, will "business" get better....

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
South Florida is flat as an iron skillet. As you travel down the Flamingo Road you will see signs like "Rock Reef Pass elevation 3 feet" or "Dwarf Cypress Forest elevation 4 feet". First time I saw these signs I thought it was an attempt at humor, like hey Florida is really flat! Come to find out the Everglades they say is like a river 60 miles wide and 6 inches deep. When you see any elevation posted it is telling you that this section is above the waterline and therefore you will notice a dramatic and immediate change in the plant life. As you look out over the distance over the miles and miles of sawgrass you can see little "islands" of trees and bush where the land is elevated by just a couple/few feet. They are called hammocks.

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
Thank for the insight. Good to see some of my northern mates out on the bike. Eric

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Great pics! I am glad you shared them with us and look forward to riding asap!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,460 Posts
South Florida is flat as an iron skillet. ...When you see any elevation posted it is telling you that this section is above the waterline and therefore you will notice a dramatic and immediate change in the plant life. As you look out over the distance over the miles and miles of sawgrass you can see little "islands" of trees and bush where the land is elevated by just a couple/few feet. They are called hammocks.
I will attest to this. Firefighters have a saying about Florida; if your boots aren't wet you are on the ridge.

·
Administrator
26,226 Posts
I got a real good bark out of those signs. One spot, I actually pulled the car over and took a picture. When I got back in, everyone asked why I took a picture of the flatlands. I said "don't you see that hill right over there?" It was more of a 3' bump, but it did get a chuckle.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Budoka... if you come from just about anywhere else on the planet how can you not think that this is some kind of a joke?? The joke was on me once the true meaning was explained to me :)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
another good ride, but not as long is Rt 29 south from 90 (Tamiami Trail) to Everglades and then across the berm to Chokoloskee. Plus the Rod and Gun club in Everglades is a GREAT restaurant to stop at for food/drinks.

I will have to do your ride down the road to Flamingo the next time I am in the area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts