Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been itching to get out and ride. Weather was near perfect and my wife had the time t rider as well. We left Nashville on I-24 West for a 130 mile ride to Paducah, KY. It was getting close to lunch so we found a local eatery near downtown. We rode around the downtown area for few minutes. Gentrification has not occurred in this area. Beautiful older building with many sitting empty. It has potential but it takes locals and lots of money to bring back businesses and people living downtown.

We departed Paducah, KY north on Hwy 45 crossing the Ohio River on the ole bridge. There was warning about 25 ton weight limit and that steel grating present on the span. Those older narrow bridges are eye opening as the steel grating makes two wheeler dart side to side all the while you watching on coming traffic, not wanting to look side ways or down as you can get tunnel vision. On a dark moonless night mixed with rain and wide load coming at you....well I can think of places I'd rather be on my Wing.

The GPS took me on route of some county roads that long ago had seen new paving. Dodged gravel and potholes till we intersected with state highway. Became part of Old Ohio River Road. Going thru a gradual uphill turn a snake took up 2/3 of my lane...I was not going to attempt to avoid by crossing centerline to save running over.

Got gas at the Golanda, IL Sinclair station which was across the street from a rather busy lunch crowd dinner (mental note to self to eat there one day). Arrived at Cave in Rock, IL and snapped few pictures and then entered the State Park just east of small town. We parked Wing under big shade tree on bluff overlooking the Ohio River. Hiked a path down to river's edge and entered the cave. Online there is lot of history about river pirates, outlaws, counterfeiters, etc who used this area in past. There is small restaurant, small cabins, hiking trails and some camping sites that have commanding views of Ohio River below.

We went back to catch the ferry to Kentucky and there must have been 30 plus motorcycles waiting in line to catch the ferry. One of the riders came over and offered us a spot in first group. Apparently they were a church group of riders from Chicago who do an annual ride each year. They were headed to Barkley Lodge near Land Between Lakes. They planned to ride down to Shiloh National Battlefield the next day. They got all the bikes loaded plus a big pickup truck and big logging truck for trip across. The group said we were welcome to ride along with them which we did down to I-24 where we turned to go off to head to Grand Rivers, KY. We got a take out order at Patti's and ate under a shade tree.

We rode the "The Trace" down thru Land Between Lakes to Dover, TN. Turned left on Hwy 79 back over to Clarksville, TN. Jumped on I-24 E for quick ride back to Nashville getting home at sundown,
About 350-380 miles all together.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had been itching to get out and ride. Weather was near perfect and my wife had the time t rider as well. We left Nashville on I-24 West for a 130 mile ride to Paducah, KY. It was getting close to lunch so we found a local eatery near downtown. We rode around the downtown area for few minutes. Gentrification has not occurred in this area. Beautiful older building with many sitting empty. It has potential but it takes locals and lots of money to bring back businesses and people living downtown.

We departed Paducah, KY north on Hwy 45 crossing the Ohio River on the ole bridge. There was warning about 25 ton weight limit and that steel grating present on the span. Those older narrow bridges are eye opening as the steel grating makes two wheeler dart side to side all the while you watching on coming traffic, not wanting to look side ways or down as you can get tunnel vision. On a dark moonless night mixed with rain and wide load coming at you....well I can think of places I'd rather be on my Wing.

The GPS took me on route of some county roads that long ago had seen new paving. Dodged gravel and potholes till we intersected with state highway. Became part of Old Ohio River Road. Going thru a gradual uphill turn a snake took up 2/3 of my lane...I was not going to attempt to avoid by crossing centerline to save running over.

Got gas at the Golanda, IL Sinclair station which was across the street from a rather busy lunch crowd dinner (mental note to self to eat there one day). Arrived at Cave in Rock, IL and snapped few pictures and then entered the State Park just east of small town. We parked Wing under big shade tree on bluff overlooking the Ohio River. Hiked a path down to river's edge and entered the cave. Online there is lot of history about river pirates, outlaws, counterfeiters, etc who used this area in past. There is small restaurant, small cabins, hiking trails and some camping sites that have commanding views of Ohio River below.

We went back to catch the ferry to Kentucky and there must have been 30 plus motorcycles waiting in line to catch the ferry. One of the riders came over and offered us a spot in first group. Apparently they were a church group of riders from Chicago who do an annual ride each year. They were headed to Barkley Lodge near Land Between Lakes. They planned to ride down to Shiloh National Battlefield the next day. They got all the bikes loaded plus a big pickup truck and big logging truck for trip across. The group said we were welcome to ride along with them which we did down to I-24 where we turned to go off to head to Grand Rivers, KY. We got a take out order at Patti's and ate under a shade tree.

We rode the "The Trace" down thru Land Between Lakes to Dover, TN. Turned left on Hwy 79 back over to Clarksville, TN. Jumped on I-24 E for quick ride back to Nashville getting home at sundown,
About 350-380 miles all together.

View attachment 276624

View attachment 276625

View attachment 276626

View attachment 276627

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
That place looks cool, logged in the ole memory bank

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
The Shawnee National Forest area has some beautiful roads to ride. Thanks for your trip report and the wonderful photos. I have not visited the area that you did and I am adding that to my list.

·
Super Moderator
14,922 Posts
Thanks for taking us along Mike. Cave in Rock is on my bucket list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts