Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have ever seen dash panels like the ones on my '87 Interstate: (click thumbnail for larger picture)

I would like to remove these wooden panels as they are starting to weather and I don't much care for the looks. I was thinking about replacing them with some black plastic panels to cover the openings but can't figure out how these are attached. I even had the dealership look at them but they had not seen anything like them before and said they pried on them a bit but they seemed to be attached firmly and they didn't want to damage the dash. I don't know if these were some type of aftermarket add-on or something the original owner made up himself. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Fossil92, the part you show is for the handlebar area, I think the parts he wants is where the radio and speakers go, looks like someone took then out, but your radio and speakers goes there.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If your bike is an Interstate it did not come witha radio and this is what it should look like

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have ever seen dash panels like the ones on my '87 Interstate: (click thumbnail for larger picture)

I would like to remove these wooden panels as they are starting to weather and I don't much care for the looks. I was thinking about replacing them with some black plastic panels to cover the openings but can't figure out how these are attached. I even had the dealership look at them but they had not seen anything like them before and said they pried on them a bit but they seemed to be attached firmly and they didn't want to damage the dash. I don't know if these were some type of aftermarket add-on or something the original owner made up himself. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hoss
Looks like the owner or some one he knew made the covers to replace the speakers (Jo in Calif sent a great photo) as for removing them it looks like they were glued on -- use a thin steel wire and pull it back and forth under the wood to cut the glue --- if it hits on something it cant cut it means there is a screw or bolt holding it on--- be sure to check that the wood was not drilled and counter sunk and pluged to hide the screws or bolts, these can almost be invisable.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If your bike is an Interstate it did not come witha radio and this is what it should look like
Bingo. It's an Interstate and I doubt it ever had a radio. If you look closely at that center piece, it looks like it's mounted directly on top of the plastic that plugs the radio slot. But it appears that for the pieces covering the speaker areas, the speaker grills were removed and then these attached directly to the dash.

.................... be sure to check that the wood was not drilled and counter sunk and pluged to hide the screws or bolts, these can almost be invisable.
Hope this helps
Here's a close up shot of the left one.

I don't see any change in visible grain to indicate plugs or putty.

Hoss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts