Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got within 1/8 mile from home last night and I thought I saw my headlight flash and go out (it was still daylight) and sure enough both low and high beams are out. Fuses were good but didn't hear the relays clicking. Plugged in one of my old headlight bulbs in to check for a problem in the HID system and ruled out the HID system. That system just gets it's signal through the stock headlight wiring. Checked relays with a test light, had good power on one terminal, good ground one another terminal, another with a fair ground (test light dim, by maybe 50%) and the last terminal no power or ground. Did not find power at high beam switch terminals. hooked up a jumper wire to ground and termianl with good ground and did get lights to work at times. Replaced low beam relay 1.5 yr ago. Anyone have connections problems with the terminals in the fuse/relay panel that would cause this.

I'm sure trike lady will have an answer! Setting out tomorrow morning to pull relay panel terminals for a good cleaning. Hope to get this resolved to head to TN for a couple days in evening.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Check for continuity at the blue wire with white tracer at the starter switch to the Blue with white tracer at the dimmer switch. Also look for a bad ground.
My thought is there is either a dirty or bad connection, dirty start switch contacts to allow the headlights to function and send the power to the dimmer switch in which the blue wire from the switch feeds the #4 relay and the white wire feeds the #8 relay and sends power to the high or low filament.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
TL, I wish I had half of your knowledge. Good stuff.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
TL, I wish I had half of your knowledge. Good stuff.
Me too!

One quick though on connections. Electrical contact cleaner works in those connectors as well. I was having volume and static noise on my headset. I plugged into the passenger plug and it was crystal clear. I was all ready to replace the short cord, and just a thought, and I sprayed Radio Shack Contact Cleaner in to the plug on the cord. It has been crystal clear for a year. $10 fix and it works on the handlebar switches too.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Contact Cleaner, not a Miracle cure, but it has solved many, many problems

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I cleaned the terminals in the relay panel with my terminal release tool, don't think I had any problems with headlight on my TN trip the last couple days. Did lose three tail lights on the lower set ( two are brand new ), suspect a bad wiring connection. Also my trun signal cornering light gremlin reared it's ugly head again, turn off the turn signal and the cornering light comes on on the other side. Guess I dive into those problems tomorrow so I can repack and head to the Ohio District GWRRA Rally in Xenia on Thursday,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts