Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put about 15k miles on the trike since I got it. The front tire wear pattern is about 3 inches wide. Still has the nibs on each side.

Have any of you, or anyone you know, tried using a car tire on the front of a trike?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Without doing some major rework on the front forks and fenders you will not be able to put a car tire on the front.

Now you can put a rear motorcycle tire on the front without any problems. If the rear tire has a directional arrow on it you would need to run it backwards.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Now you can put a rear motorcycle tire on the front without any problems. If the rear tire has a directional arrow on it you would need to run it backwards.
OK, now I am confused. Why would you run it backwards? Isn't it designed to go in the direction of the arrow and as far as I can tell the front tire and the rear tire go in the same direction at all times.:confused:Isaac

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
OK, now I am confused. Why would you run it backwards? Isn't it designed to go in the direction of the arrow and as far as I can tell the front tire and the rear tire go in the same direction at all times.:confused:Isaac
This " might " help
:I don't know who explained it on the forum but as I understood it, in a nutshell.....The majority of the stress put on a front tire occur when braking. The majority of the stress put on a rear tire occurs during accelleration. When the tires are manufactured, the facing of the tire is bonded onto the case with an oblique (diagonal) joint. The joint is made in the direction that under stress (accelleration) will push the joint together rather than pull the joint apart. This is the reason the direction of rotation are noted on the tire... Sounded good enough for me, though I know of folks that have mounted the BT-45 in both directions without any problems.
Personally, I've meet some who do and some who don't. Either way, they are all still on the road.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The BT45 rear tire has a hard center tread with a softer side tread. As far as running them backwards, there are many who run them non backwards with no difference from what I have read. Run them either way and you will be happy. Besides, with a trike, even more of your braking can be done with the rear tires.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
The only way you can put a car tire on the front of the Wing is to change the entire front forks and go with a unit from Eurowing trikes.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. They last time I looked at Eurowing, they were known as EML and had only a rep in Florida, no dealers.

I knew about putting a sport rear tire on front and the logic. And that is probably what I will do. But the car tire possibility intrigued me when I thought it might be affordable. WRONG!!!

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Just do a search on Dookoo's threads & he has some on track/ as well as road videos that are excellent viewing.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
If your bike came with a car tire on it and no one told you, you wouldn't know the difference. It's not going to fall off the rim. There are over 1,300 registered car tire riders on one forum ( and that's just the registered ones ). They live in all states across America. He's a bit of reading if you're technical minded :http://murgie.com/FAQ.htm

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Mr. Lee did you get my tire for your bike yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
chopin post said most of it but also a rear tire is manufactured with thicker and more durable rubber, especially the side walls. I reversed a rear tire on the front of my 1500 and currently that tire has 15500 miles and is still going strong looks about new really and it a Michelin Pilot, great tire and lots of miles, the rear is a Dunlop RunFlat 3D Wintersport...Runflat technology will save your life on a MC... http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/ just read and make up your own mind...Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.