2,102 Posts
NO
they are only designed for a max of 50mph and not for much distance
I WOULD NOT RISK MY LIFE ON A TEMP SPARE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those recommendations are for mounting it on a car, what would they recommend if it were a motorcycle tire? Does anyone know how they are constructed differently? Why 50 mph? I'll do some research myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're as strong as a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
During my years at Goodyear
The following were guidelines for ANY temp spare
Do not repair
Do not dismount or remount
Replace entire spare tire and wheel

and I doubt those have changed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've actually realized that I'm getting way ahead of myself here. There is already a bunch of information by people who have done this and it's foolish to think outside of the box without first seeing what's inside the box. Especially with a safety oriented project.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the darkside concept itself is far from new
Harley's have been doing since the 70s at least, they used to use an old VW sized tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just ridiculous how short the life span of a bike tire is. I guess it's possible that in the design phase, engineers have to overkill the traction on a bike tire to avoid liability issues, but I guess it's also possible that they want u to keep buying tires as quick as possible. I see an opportunity for someone with the means to, to build tires with automotive characteristics, but round profile, perfectly suited to darksider applications, but marketed for trailers or something. Where I live, lots of people have food stamps, you can't buy hot or prepared meals with food stamps. But there's a pizza joint, that, because pizza is a hot meal, loses lots of income because they can't cater to low income. So what they did, was to sell take and bake pizzas, which can be paid for w food stamps, and then for 1 dollar cash, they will cook it for you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The CT I am going with in December, most of the online reviews for the tire are motorcycle darksiders

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Lots of info on here

one thread on here with TONS of stuff is "1800 Darksiders Only"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those recommendations are for mounting it on a car, what would they recommend if it were a motorcycle tire? Does anyone know how they are constructed differently? Why 50 mph? I'll do some research myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're as strong as a motorcycle tire.
These POS doughnut tires have ALWAYS been rated for getting you to a repair shop at a slow speed. There's absolutely no way that I'd put one on a Goldwing! Heck, I've always refused to even keep one in my cars....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
These POS doughnut tires have ALWAYS been rated for getting you to a repair shop at a slow speed. There's absolutely no way that I'd put one on a Goldwing! Heck, I've always refused to even keep one in my cars....
AMEN brother!!!!!

my wife's Camry has a full size spare, my truck has a full size spare

lot's of new cars don't even come with a spare tire

• Angry
Reactions: Keith Finley

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I didn't realize that about some new cars being without spares! I'm 58, an electrician and have always been hell bent on doing everything possible myself on my toys, my home, my truck my boats, etc....It infuriates me how "my kind" are being weeded out. Most crap made these days is intentionally made to NOT be user friendly.
Your a man after my own heart
I am a math teacher, raised working by my dad's side as a mechanic, I do it all myself if at all possible
these "google machines" make it easy to figure out how to if you don't already

the new "no spare" thing started with all the mini vans with the stow and go seats that just fold up into the floor, no place for one
but then you can kind of think........ when was the last time you put the spare on the ground
my wife's Camry is an 06, spare has been on the ground once, just because I decided to drive it to get the flat fixed instead of pulling it off and tossing it in the back of my truck

fridge with water and ice despensor, part broke........... can't get just that one simple part, have to buy the whole thing,
wrong....... for a while I had the switch taped to the door, just push it,..... until my JB Weld and fine wire wrapped glue up job cured,..... has been working for 5 years

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your a man after my own heart
I am a math teacher, raised working by my dad's side as a mechanic, I do it all myself if at all possible
these "google machines" make it easy to figure out how to if you don't already

the new "no spare" thing started with all the mini vans with the stow and go seats that just fold up into the floor, no place for one
but then you can kind of think........ when was the last time you put the spare on the ground
my wife's Camry is an 06, spare has been on the ground once, just because I decided to drive it to get the flat fixed instead of pulling it off and tossing it in the back of my truck

fridge with water and ice despensor, part broke........... can't get just that one simple part, have to buy the whole thing,
wrong....... for a while I had the switch taped to the door, just push it,..... until my JB Weld and fine wire wrapped glue up job cured,..... has been working for 5 years
Yeah.....my grandmother had a GE washer for probably 30 yrs. I have in my garage now a freezer that my grandmother had, when I was a CHILD! I just bought a Maytag washer because the THIRD LG that we had in 12-13 yrs died!! My Samsung refrigerators ice maker hasn't worked in months......I'm fed up..😤😤😤😤😤

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Come on fellows. Do your part to contribute to the momentary economy. You can't buy the past, you can only keep on affording the future.
NOPE
not if I can help it
ordered a chainsaw chain sharpener from Northern Tool.....it was made in the USA and the company used their original design from the 60s,
and it indeed looked like the one my dad had at our shop in the 70s and works just as good too..... it is all metal, NO plastic

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
It's just ridiculous how short the life span of a bike tire is. I guess it's possible that in the design phase, engineers have to overkill the traction on a bike tire to avoid liability issues, but I guess it's also possible that they want u to keep buying tires as quick as possible. I see an opportunity for someone with the means to, to build tires with automotive characteristics, but round profile, perfectly suited to darksider applications, but marketed for trailers or something. Where I live, lots of people have food stamps, you can't buy hot or prepared meals with food stamps. But there's a pizza joint, that, because pizza is a hot meal, loses lots of income because they can't cater to low income. So what they did, was to sell take and bake pizzas, which can be paid for w food stamps, and then for 1 dollar cash, they will cook it for you.
Motorcycle tires have come a long way in the last 30 years. 30 years ago, if you could get 10K out of a motorcycle tire you're doing very good, today one can expect anywhere from 14 to 18K, depending on your riding style. Motorcycle tires experience very different stress than a car tire, hence, the way they are constructed, stiffer sidewalls, multi compound tread and thinner tread. Most car tires are constructed with only one type of tread compound that encompasses the entire tire and they have much thicker tread.
It's not the fact that they design the tire to be replaced as quick as possible, it's just that any two wheel in-line tire configuration will wear tires at about 4 times faster than a 4 wheel configuration traveling at the same speeds.
Car tires work okay on a touring bike or crusier, but I wouldn't trust my life on them on a track bike.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
8 Posts
The main reason I have ran a CT for many years, and may I say not just any CT, is even with all the other performance benefits I have experienced.... The biggest benefit has to do with safety..... Run Flat!
Long trips out in the middle of no-where locations. At least I will be able to get to civilization or off busy highways.
As for cars without spare tires. Run flat tires are also an option.

Corventure Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts