Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere there is a database on the net of darkside tires for Goldwings, I used to have it bookmarked.
Anyone know where it it?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
The latest tire taking center stage is the Michelin Alpine PA3 ZP ( zero pressure, run flat ). I checked the Darkside roster and did not see that particular type listed. Here is my source sheet :http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt I'm registered number 1039.
That is my very next purchase.....Waiting on my present tire to wear out.

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
I run a Dunlop Wintersport Run Flat c/t. There was a story of a Winger having his delaminate and self destructing and the naysayers used this as evidence to back up their fears of the dangers of running a c/t. The whole story was that this guy had ridden on this tire flat for at least 200 miles and possibly 300. Any tire ridden flat at some distance will self destruct but to ride hundreds of miles with 0 air is quite amazing. Obviously one should't ride very far on a run flat but it's nice to know we can get off the highway and get it repaired in a safe zone and there most likely will not be rapid decompression or rupture compromising safety and handling. I plan to get a TPMS with sensors for bike and trailer.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
They say they are hard to find right now given that it's summer. Hang on to yours until fall.
Thats the plan...Only 6K on that tire right. Just replaced it in November. May have a C/T for the August trip....Will hang on as long as possible. Tires ain't cheap

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Thats the plan...Only 6K on that tire right. Just replaced it in November. May have a C/T for the August trip....Will hang on as long as possible. Tires ain't cheap
Someone had the Alpine delivered for about $167. That's cheap!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Someone had the Alpine delivered for about $167. That's cheap!
I remember seeing that somewhere a couple of weeks ago....That is a good price.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
My ct was $87 shipped to my door.

I now have 20,000 miles on it and I am a few millimeters from the wear bars. I hope it will last the summer but I am keeping an eye on it, as I don't want to head towards the meetup at Glacier National Park with a tire on its very last bit of tread.

I too am going to run the Dunlop Wintersport Run Flat for the safety factor. TPMS is next on the list.

I bought a ct for my Silverwing at Walmart for $37.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
My ct was $87 shipped to my door.

I now have 20,000 miles on it and I am a few millimeters from the wear bars. I hope it will last the summer but I am keeping an eye on it, as I don't want to head towards the meetup at Glacier National Park with a tire on its very last bit of tread.

I too am going to run the Dunlop Wintersport Run Flat for the safety factor. TPMS is next on the list.

I bought a ct for my Silverwing at Walmart for $37.
To be sure I recall correctly....The C/T your running will not fit my 1800. Also, I don't think it was a Run Flat???

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Just read this story on the Saunder's forum about a rear tire blow out that sent the wife to the hospital and may have totaled the bike. The rider smelled what he called smoke just before they lost control of the bike. Now he's thinking about giving up riding. Unfortunately a run flat c/t is not possible on the older vintage Wings that he was riding, however for those who can install one, this is further evidence of the greater safety of running on a run flat.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/134000.html

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Just read this story on the Saunder's forum about a rear tire blow out that sent the wife to the hospital and may have totaled the bike. The rider smelled what he called smoke just before they lost control of the bike. Now he's thinking about giving up riding. Unfortunately a run flat c/t is not possible on the older vintage Wings that he was riding, however for those who can install one, this is further evidence of the greater safety of running on a run flat.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/134000.html
Dan,

If you read the entire thread...it'll show the owner of the Wing was riding on an old tire that had been sitting for years with known tire pressure issues. He said " he checked the air pressure a few days earlier and was low so he added some air." plus there was no tread down the center of the tire & the OP thought it was normal?It's really a shame his wife got hurt because the OP didn't know how to truly maintain his ride. We all learn from our mistakes, thank goodness they weren't hurt more seriously.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Dan,

If you read the entire thread...it'll show the owner of the Wing was riding on an old tire that had been sitting for years with known tire pressure issues. He said " he checked the air pressure a few days earlier and was low so he added some air." plus there was no tread down the center of the tire & the OP thought it was normal?It's really a shame his wife got hurt because the OP didn't know how to truly maintain his ride. We all learn from our mistakes, thank goodness they weren't hurt more seriously.

Mark
Good point Mark, this was clearly OP negligence. Odd that he did some restoration to the bike but neglected to replace his old worn tires. I have a friend however who was riding on nearly new tires on his 1800 pulling a trailer with his wife and had a rear tire blow out. He had rapid decompression, nearly lost control and he's an advanced rider. He saw my c/t recently and is going darkside too.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Good point Mark, this was clearly OP negligence. Odd that he did some restoration to the bike but neglected to replace his old worn tires. I have a friend however who was riding on nearly new tires on his 1800 pulling a trailer with his wife and had a rear tire blow out. He had rapid decompression, nearly lost control and he's an advanced rider. He saw my c/t recently and is going darkside too.
Dan,

I hear you! It's not just a m/t that can blow out. A good friend of mine riding an 1800 with a c/t (kumho run flat) had the same thing happen to him. Soooo runflats will work well with a slow leak, but they can still have catastrophic failures as well. I think if he had a tpms on his Wing he might have realized he was about to have the failure. The key word here is think.....LOL....but who knows for sure?! He now has a tpms.

The old saying goes **it happens....just ya'll ride safe & be in tune with your ride!

Mark

1 - 20 of 51 Posts