Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon there anyone that could help me to try to locate someone or somewhere in the Northampton area in Pennsylvania to try to see if I could get my dark side Tire installed on my GL1800 Goldwing??

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,453 Posts
Before I befriended a local rider here, I took my rim and tire down to the local franchise, Goodyear tire shop. They have the equipment to mount a tire: They don't have the equipment to balance the mounted tire. I would supply 3oz. of Dyna-Beads to pour in before the tire bead was sealed. A tire is a tire, a rim is a rim. It doesn't have to done in the cloak of darkness.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If they question what it is for..... tell them......"custom trailer"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I I was referring to some 1 that would take it off and put it back on I am not equipped to take it off.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
remove and replace just the tire on the rim that you carry into the shop?

OR

Remove unit from bike, change the tire, and re-install the unit on the bike?

and to further clarify..... front or rear?

If it is the rear...... easy for them to take off the rear...... lay it down on it's right side, put the center stand down to aid in clearance, take off the lug nuts just like on a car..... (on some bikes air must be out of tire and on some you must take the rear exhaust hanger bolt out to let the exhaust pipe flex out of the way others just slips out)

So is best if it is low on fuel or sometimes some leaks out while laying down.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
there are a number of videos online showing the procedure for changing the rear of an 1800

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I believe I will need to purchase a torque wrench and one of those things that they measure the presure foot pound torque.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took the whole bike yesterday to this old timer and has a small shop but I'll have to buy tools next time around. I'm hoping tomorrow he will have it ready for me. First time i done darkside. 195 55 16. Bridgestone drive guard run flat.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
When I change my rear tire...... I make sure that I take off the right side highway pegs...... and put down some cardboard where the rear and front guards are going to hit......put it in gear........ get on the right side..... pull it up off the side stand..... as you get it it straight up......you can start to lay her over..... at a certain point.... just get out of the way and let her fall..... it is hard to make yourself do it..... but trust in the fact that the ONLY thing that will touch the ground is the front crash guard and the rear saddle bag crash guard..... just be on firm ground.... I do mine on the cement floor in the carport.

Just watch the videos on how to left her back up,,,,, if you haven't already.

rear tire is really a breeze to remove from the bike

but yes a torque wrench is needed to torque the lug nuts correctly...... but some parts stores will rent them.... or borrow them

Or you can get a good enough one fairly cheaply.... mine is the click, break over style..... set the torque on the wrench... it will make an audible and tactile click when it reaches desired ft-lbs
Amazon has them for $35-70.... a local parts store or hardware store should have one

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It will take a little getting used to to start with..... but as the tire starts to wear..... you can throw it around like on anything else

you will also have to play around with air pressures..... to see what you and the bike like.....
some say 30psi make their bike happy.... and all over the place up to like mine that likes 39psi
seems to very based on what brand of tire you put on the ground

If you are like the rest of us darksiders....... and I am SURE you will be....... you will never go back and wonder why you waited..... especially after first hard stop or acceleration.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ty yes I will check harbor freight . yes I'm sure I'll never going back .have you ever heard of Chris caliente.?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
can't say that I have

does he live in Stephenville, TX area?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No no Tennessee hes on YouTube. I get alot of feed back from him and very helpful video

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess what I will do to round off the tire I'll go practice some donuts in a parking lot

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
last winter I put on the 2nd front tire to go with the CT rear that still looks like 3/4 tread left.....

will be posting the anniversary update with tread wear and such around November in the "Darksiders only" thread.

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Here's a Bridgestone DriveGuard with at least 15,000 miles on her.
So....that's like six years of riding around Virginia?????

>:)

Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself....:wink2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts