Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Isn't the battlax a MC rear tire? I can see a benefit to moving to the front as it is a lot stiffer n the side wall and may even give a longer range before wearing out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In bold: Ron, I'm sure you are aware that the 1800 wheel was designed for radial tires not bias. The rim, especially the bead area is not designed to accept a bias ply construction tire at all. There's far more to tires than just correct size. Just because it worked in this particular application for you does not guarantee it was safe.
Appreciate the advice, and it raises my curiousity about the rim. There are several hundred maybe even a couple of thousand on another site that do this and I have never heard of one of them having a problem. This being said I may crash & burn tomorrow. I have had 2 1800 wings and have more miles with a bias on the front than a radial. I know that the 2 shops that I use claim that the BT45 fits tighter than a Stone 709. These 2 shops are both Honda Dealerships. One of them will also mount a CT for me on the rear. The thing that I am curious about is the difference in the bead of the rims. Is there maybe a website that I could go to and see the difference. I have looked at the beads of the 709 and BT45 and could not readily see any difference. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Isn't the battlax a MC rear tire? I can see a benefit to moving to the front as it is a lot stiffer n the side wall and may even give a longer range before wearing out.
Yes, It basically has a lot deeper tread also. I get 14 or 15K from a regular front tire but usually 27 or 28K from the BT45.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going with a Michelin Pilot 130-70-18 rear tire on the front without reversing it. I'm sure it will be a nice compliment to the CT on the rear.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts