Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Cycle world website there is a whack job, who I consider a good guy, that preaches Car tires on motorcycles.
I'm tempted to try one on the back of my '76.
Anybody here had any experience with them?

The laughing and abuse can start...

...Now!

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
only wing riders i hear of with car tires on the rear are 1800 wing riders

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Quite a few of the GL1800 riders use CT's. I believe a lot of them are run flat tires. I do not believe CT's will fit earlier model Wings because of clearance issues on the fender and suspension. I personally don't use a CT on my 1800, but to each his own.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If car tires were the way to go, wouldn't Honda be all over it. The problem with car tires is the loss of contact patch when you lean the bike over. Motorcycle tires are cuvred to keep the same amount more or less always in contact with the road. If you just plutz around in fair weather, the car tire might work for you. But I know 2 experianced riders that low sided and crashed their bikes while using car tires. They since have switched back. But like always the choice is still all yours.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
You get 20K out of elite 3s

With 20 K out of elite 3s why switch, besides I don't think you should mix and match with various brands of cycle tire why would you mix auto AND bike?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Evening DJFIREUSA. How are you and mon doing these days. Got my new Gold Book the other day and there you two where on the front cover. That pic and alittle P.R. work and we could have you running for President.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Think about how much more weight rating a car tire has. Think about how much more rubber you have on the road vs a motorcycle tire. Especially in the rain. As far as the difference of putting the bike in a curve is harder on a car tire, after about 2 or 3 thousand miles you won't even notice unless you intentionally make yourself. I'll never go back to throwing money away on motorcycle tire.
Welcome to the forum
You do realizes you're replying to a 4 year old post right?
BTW I agree on running a CT on a Wing.Going double dark.My BS BT45 for the front should land here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
There's a fresh 1800 Darksider thread on here. Sort of a poll. But there are other CT discussions around here. I'm headed that way in a week or so I hope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a car tire on my 2013 GL1800, it's a Yokahama 195/55/16 Non Run Flat. The bike rides smoother, handles cornering just as well as when I had the original Bridgestone on it. The next time I change it out will be for a Run Flat tire. I also intend to go double dark with a BT-45 tire on the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.