Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Cycle world website there is a whack job, who I consider a good guy, that preaches Car tires on motorcycles.
I'm tempted to try one on the back of my '76.
Anybody here had any experience with them?

The laughing and abuse can start...

...Now!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
only wing riders i hear of with car tires on the rear are 1800 wing riders

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Quite a few of the GL1800 riders use CT's. I believe a lot of them are run flat tires. I do not believe CT's will fit earlier model Wings because of clearance issues on the fender and suspension. I personally don't use a CT on my 1800, but to each his own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the responses.
I've found a 17" tire that another guy runs on the front of a KL650, or a Versys, I don't recall which, but the inflated size is close to the 130 sized radial that was on the bike when I got it.
This past season I ran a retro treaded tire that I found at my local Bike shop and it looks positively skinny next to the previous two radials I ran, and it's performance in the wet is positively abysmal!
No traction at all!
That and mileage are why I'm going to try the car tire.
These guys claim 50,000 miles.:eek:
Shoot, I'm in.:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
If car tires were the way to go, wouldn't Honda be all over it. The problem with car tires is the loss of contact patch when you lean the bike over. Motorcycle tires are cuvred to keep the same amount more or less always in contact with the road. If you just plutz around in fair weather, the car tire might work for you. But I know 2 experianced riders that low sided and crashed their bikes while using car tires. They since have switched back. But like always the choice is still all yours.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
You get 20K out of elite 3s

With 20 K out of elite 3s why switch, besides I don't think you should mix and match with various brands of cycle tire why would you mix auto AND bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking really hard about the Flakan ZX912 -- 44psi -- 195-55-16

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran a car tire on the rear of my Blown Valkyrie. I was getting about 4,000 miles out of the Metzler 880's. (Blown Valks pull hard) I had 25,000 on the CT(205/60/16 Goodyear assurance) when the bike was stolen and the tire still looked great. It cornered just as well and straight line tracition was much better. Stopping power was excellant. I'd put one on my wing in a minute if I could find one that would fit. After riding on the Darkside for a good while (and I ride the wee out of my bikes) I have come to the conclusion that Motorcycle tires are made to wear out quickly. I was scared at first but after about 2000 miles and a trip through Deals Gap I was a firm beleiver. Not very many people who go to the darkside ever go back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah - the tire I am looking at is VERY recommended by other who ride just as hard if not a tad harder than I do. (my avatar is a shot from deal's gap... I do 12 to 14 minute runs in the middle of the night)

It will fit your wing

·
Registered
172 Posts
If car tires were the way to go, wouldn't Honda be all over it. The problem with car tires is the loss of contact patch when you lean the bike over. Motorcycle tires are cuvred to keep the same amount more or less always in contact with the road. If you just plutz around in fair weather, the car tire might work for you. But I know 2 experianced riders that low sided and crashed their bikes while using car tires. They since have switched back. But like always the choice is still all yours.
More contact area on using a car tire. With Motorcycle tires you never have more than 2 inches of contact pattern. As far as those experianced riders crashing their bikes I know lots of eperianced riders who crashed their bikes on motorcycle tires (myself included). It's easy to blame the tire when you failed to make the right move. One time years ago I pulled up to a NAPA store with my CB350 and fell over because I had a brain fart and forgot to put my feet down. I was 17 and had been riding since I was 5. Two kinds of riders. Those that go down and those that will (if you really ride). Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYhkCA_JwJM&feature=fvw

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah - the tire I am looking at is VERY recommended by other who ride just as hard if not a tad harder than I do. (my avatar is a shot from deal's gap... I do 12 to 14 minute runs in the middle of the night)

It will fit your wing
Thanks, I havent done a 12 minute (or 14) on the gap (too much metal dragging) but have a DVD made by Yellow wolf behind me on a 15 minute run with me and my wife on my "Orange Crate" Valkyrie. I ate up a set of cobra floorboards in two passes. Lots of nice sparks in the video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
AH HA! minor lil detail....

Have you looked at gl1800riders.com?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Evening DJFIREUSA. How are you and mon doing these days. Got my new Gold Book the other day and there you two where on the front cover. That pic and alittle P.R. work and we could have you running for President.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car tires are safer...

Think about how much more weight rating a car tire has. Think about how much more rubber you have on the road vs a motorcycle tire. Especially in the rain. As far as the difference of putting the bike in a curve is harder on a car tire, after about 2 or 3 thousand miles you won't even notice unless you intentionally make yourself. I'll never go back to throwing money away on motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Think about how much more weight rating a car tire has. Think about how much more rubber you have on the road vs a motorcycle tire. Especially in the rain. As far as the difference of putting the bike in a curve is harder on a car tire, after about 2 or 3 thousand miles you won't even notice unless you intentionally make yourself. I'll never go back to throwing money away on motorcycle tire.
Welcome to the forum
You do realizes you're replying to a 4 year old post right?
BTW I agree on running a CT on a Wing.Going double dark.My BS BT45 for the front should land here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
There's a fresh 1800 Darksider thread on here. Sort of a poll. But there are other CT discussions around here. I'm headed that way in a week or so I hope.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a car tire on my 2013 GL1800, it's a Yokahama 195/55/16 Non Run Flat. The bike rides smoother, handles cornering just as well as when I had the original Bridgestone on it. The next time I change it out will be for a Run Flat tire. I also intend to go double dark with a BT-45 tire on the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts