Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have had trouble getting someone to mount your car tire? I am going darkside for the first time and a couple of places have already told me no. I do my own maintenance but don't have the proper equipment for mounting tires...especially a run flat.

I have time....my next big road trip isn't until the middle of July....but starting to worry that this might be more difficult than I thought.

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It has been said that if you tell the shop it's for a trailer they generally won't question it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It has been said that if you tell the shop it's for a trailer they generally won't question it.
Thanks...glad to be here. I'm also wondering about damage to the wheel. I'm assuming different shops would have different equipment.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
if they can do the wheel on a modern honda car.... they can do a honda goldwing
the wheels on my daughers civic or wilder than the rims on a wing and walmart did the civid

Like cantankerous said, go into a tire shop with the wheel and new tire in hand and just ask if they can do the swap for a trailer you bought

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if they can do the wheel on a modern honda car.... they can do a honda goldwing
the wheels on my daughers civic or wilder than the rims on a wing and walmart did the civid

Like cantankerous said, go into a tire shop with the wheel and new tire in hand and just ask if they can do the swap for a trailer you bought
That's what I'm thinking. One of the shops said they don't have the right kind of "adapters" to do it. Probably just making excuses.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I dont know if they still make a machine that does not grap a wheel from the rim part
from working at goodyear, you could make the machine expand to lock the rim in place from an inside part (wont work on the wing rim) but you could use the same machine
expand it first, then set the rim on it and release the machine and it grabs and locks the rim from the outer rim itself and unless they have lost or worn them out
they have a rubber or plastic cover to put over these before letting it close on the rim so they don't scratch the rim

this is the plate that holds the rims on these machines, and you can see the two different methods of holding the rim if you look close

for a front rim you would need to remove the brake rotor from one or maybe both sides first

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know if they still make a machine that does not grap a wheel from the rim part
from working at goodyear, you could make the machine expand to lock the rim in place from an inside part (wont work on the wing rim) but you could use the same machine
expand it first, then set the rim on it and release the machine and it grabs and locks the rim from the outer rim itself and unless they have lost or worn them out
they have a rubber or plastic cover to put over these before letting it close on the rim so they don't scratch the rim
View attachment 276615
this is the plate that holds the rims on these machines, and you can see the two different methods of holding the rim if you look close

for a front rim you would need to remove the brake rotor from one or maybe both sides first
Might be worth it eventually to get my own machine.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have used independent motorcycle shops in the past for mounting tires and suspect some of them will be happy to mount a CT.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I got that picture from an online sales brochure, you could have that one for the sum of $1500 and you could get motorcycle wheel adapters so you dont have to remove the rotors to do front tires

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got that picture from an online sales brochure, you could have that one for the sum of $1500 and you could get motorcycle wheel adapters so you dont have to remove the rotors to do front tires
There is such a vast amount of knowledge on this forum...it's amazing! I really appreciate all of your input.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I took mine to a small independent shop that sells used tires. They mounted it without any questions. I balanced it at home on my tire balancer. Others have said Wal Mart will do them too without asking what it is for. If asked, as others have said, it is for a trailer.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I've had independent motorcycle shops mount car tires for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took mine to a small independent shop that sells used tires. They mounted it without any questions. I balanced it at home on my tire balancer. Others have said Wal Mart will do them too without asking what it is for. If asked, as others have said, it is for a trailer.
My issue is that the motorcycle tire will still be on it. Is that something they will question?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
tell them it was a trailer that had been being pulled by a motorcycle

but first I would just take it and see if they will just swap tires

a tire shop close to the school I teach at said they would be happy to even remove the wheel from the bike,if I showed them how or they would let me use their tools
then they would swap tires, the only they thing they seemed to worry about was marking the wheel.
of course it helps that I have had their kids in class

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tell them it was a trailer that had been being pulled by a motorcycle

but first I would just take it and see if they will just swap tires

a tire shop close to the school I teach at said they would be happy to even remove the wheel from the bike,if I showed them how or they would let me use their tools
then they would swap tires, the only they thing they seemed to worry about was marking the wheel.
of course it helps that I have had their kids in class
I'm probably over thinking things like I always do. I did ask a local tire shop if they would do it if I bought the tire from them. The owner told me they will do even if I didn't buy it there. I wanted to get the tire from them as a courtesy but for some reason he couldn't find a Pirelli P1 Cinturato through his computer system.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
it takes them no time with this modern machines.... it just to swap tire for tire, that they don't have to balance...... pure profit
10-15 minutes max
just be sure to mention the tire pressure monitor before they start multiple times.

for how we sped things up at the tire store I worked at, we had a tool we spun on the valve stem, gave it a yank and pulled out the valve stem, since we would replace all of them anyways
it slowed us down if it was a special valve stem that we had to de-core and wait for the air to blead out that smaller hole, if me and Russel could gang bang a set, we could pull in the car, pull, mount and balance a set of four tires in 15 minutes out the door

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it takes them no time with this modern machines.... it just to swap tire for tire, that they don't have to balance...... pure profit
10-15 minutes max
just be sure to mention the tire pressure monitor before they start multiple times.

for how we sped things up at the tire store I worked at, we had a tool we spun on the valve stem, gave it a yank and pulled out the valve stem, since we would replace all of them anyways
it slowed us down if it was a special valve stem that we had to de-core and wait for the air to blead out that smaller hole, if me and Russel could gang bang a set, we could pull in the car, pull, mount and balance a set of four tires in 15 minutes out the door
I will just take the wheel with the old tire....the new tire...and have them do it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I know I plan on trying my luck at having someone swap out my next ct for a new ct,
don't feel like fighting the next one on the ground
and might take the trouble to remove the rotors if they say they are willing to do a front swap

no cycle shops within 40 miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know I plan on trying my luck at having someone swap out my next ct for a new ct,
don't feel like fighting the next one on the ground
and might take the trouble to remove the rotors if they say they are willing to do a front swap

no cycle shops within 40 miles
I have a cycle gear within 10 minutes of me.....they will put new MC tires on if you bring in the wheel. I may do that with the front.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts