Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I am not going to the darkside but this my findings on the subject.
Can we fit a CT to our bikes in Australia and be legal. Yes. But if you do not want a defect notice on your bike. You will need to get yourself an 'Engineer's Certificate'. Why. Because fitting a CT makes it a modified motorcycle. And all modified vehicles need an 'Engineer's Certificate', or you take the risk of a defect notice.
If you import a modified motorcycle you will need to get it past "The Australian Department of Infrastructure".
Ok the bike is already registred here. Now its the State Department that administers the Vehicles Registration.
Motorcycles already have different types of tires on them for different reasons. Eg: Dirt bikes, sports bike,to big crusers. If the tire meets the load carring capacties of the Gross Vehicles Mass. So as long as the tire is within the specified rolling diametre and the width variations allowed from the standard tire. And if it meets or exceeds the load and speed rates on the side of the tire. You can fit it.
The 'Engineers Certificate', gives you proof that your tire meets or exceeds these requrements and the lawman has to except it as so.
But at this stage I think MC tire manifactures know more about tires than I do. If I think that I can improve the handling of my bike by fitting a CT.
I know I can legally do it. I am not yet convinced that it is an improvement. Eric

·
Registered
741 Posts
And I thought things were more relaxed down under with less legal hassles.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
My C/T's max. load capacity exceeds the stock M/T by 200 lbs. I could eat pasta for a week and still not over load the tire.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Once your vehicle is registered, does the vehicle have to go through an inspection station every year? Does this mean that any aftermarket parts like highway pegs on the bike have to be approved? I am sure I can find a provision which also states such in my jurisdiction but I doubt that they actually govern and enforce this closely. It's the same with all the handlebar mounted accessories, one could easily state that those items are unsafe during a crash...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
My C/T's max. load capacity exceeds the stock M/T by 200 lbs. I could eat pasta for a week and still not over load the tire.
but the shock might not take the load after that much pasta :D

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once your vehicle is registered, does the vehicle have to go through an inspection station every year? Does this mean that any aftermarket parts like highway pegs on the bike have to be approved? I am sure I can find a provision which also states such in my jurisdiction but I doubt that they actually govern and enforce this closely. It's the same with all the handlebar mounted accessories, one could easily state that those items are unsafe during a crash...
It is a little like the different states in the USA. In South Australia there are no checks unless you are pulled over by the lawman. In other states they check everything when it is sold. And in other states they check every year. If you are pulled over and have modification you must have it passed at the inspection station and without the paper work you are taken off the road. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nothing is ever perfect Eric. Look at the bright side, at least your Prime Minister has some stones:D

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
so what is left to argue about? oh, I get it now,......this is why you are here with us. We are more entertaining as we suffer from overchoice.

tires,
oil,
cleaner,
lightbulb and the list goes on........

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what is left to argue about? oh, I get it now,......this is why you are here with us. We are more entertaining as we suffer from overchoice.

tires,
oil,
cleaner,
lightbulb and the list goes on........
Yes You Guys are my entertainment, like a on line family. I don't have to agree with everything that is said and you don't have to agree with me. The only thing I don't like is when it get personal instead of what is the difference of opion. If you think trading blows on here makes you a bigger man or somehow makes you right show a lack of debating skills [this is not relateing to you]. I would like to learn from from others experiences and I am. It is good see things from another persons prespective. And I enjoy that aspect and I enjoy your company and you are one I would call a mate. We will met up one day. You could always deceide to have a holiday over here and you will have a ready made mate to help out. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
as always Eric, I would call you a mate as well. I guess all families squable sometimes.
As for visiting you, I would truly consider that as one of my favorite, dream trips. Maybe oneday I will surprise you.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chopin114: I'm not wearing pink and I'm not batting for the other team, so don't get too excited. LOL Eric

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Chopin, where exactly were you going with this?
Sometimes Dook you're better off not knowing. Trust me please Trust me.

Yes You Guys are my entertainment, like a on line family.
Hey Dad (Eric) can I have $20. bucks for gas?:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Em, nah, forget it:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts