Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a number of opinions about car tire handling and safety concerns. Just wondering if a car tire does handle well in turns, wet roads, etc. What size is compatible on a 2016 goldwing? Is the mileage equal to a Bridgestone or Dunlop? I know the car tire is cheaper, but safety is always priority. Just wondering. Thanks

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I have a CT on my 12 wing. My main reason is the run flat. I am not an aggressive rider. You can see the brand and size in my signature. This model is no longer available.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I run a Yokahama Avid Envigor car tire. 195/55/16 non run flat on my 2012 so the 2016 would use the same size. I'm not new to darksiding. Ran a CT on my Shadow too. There are arguments for and against it that go on forever. I personally won't ever go back to a bike tire. I don't think it's unsafe and it holds a corner with no problem. Wet conditions it's excellent. Use caution walking the bike on uneven ground. It could cause a drop.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We have several more members here running car tires and I am sure they will chip in also.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am running the same tire as JKWinger. I have a post and updates about its handling.
I too will never go back to a M/C tire.
here are three incidents that happened to me to seal the deal with staying darkside

1. taking a long sweeping left hander posted for 50mph and I was doing 65 and spotted a board (looked like a 2x6 about 8ft long) laying at an angle in my lane..... after a quick puckering preparing for the worst... it never bobbled or lost my line

2. to avoid an accident while doing about 45, the only good choice was to drop from 5th to 3rd and go full throttle, it briefly lifted the front tire and NEVER broke the rear tire loose.

3. driving in a heavy down poor of rain the rear never gets squirlly with so much better rain sipes

I prefer a symmetric tread design as is why I went with the AVID ENVigor.
It already has enough mileage on it that I am on the 2nd front tire with it and it is not half gone.

Reactions: JKWinger and Chopin

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
We had a long and interesting thread years ago concerning car tires vs bike tires. You might go to the " 1800 Darkside Only " thread for more yea's and nay's. There are more threads that cover this subject and maybe it/they will help you decide.. I have been running one for years and I'll stick with it as long as I can ride....:grin2: Isaac

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Ive been running a CT for close to 100,000 miles between my ‘08 and my ‘18 model years.
Yokohama Avid Invigor 195/55/16RF
No issues. And I do ride pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run a Yokahama Avid Envigor car tire. 195/55/16 non run flat on my 2012 so the 2016 would use the same size. I'm not new to darksiding. Ran a CT on my Shadow too. There are arguments for and against it that go on forever. I personally won't ever go back to a bike tire. I don't think it's unsafe and it holds a corner with no problem. Wet conditions it's excellent. Use caution walking the bike on uneven ground. It could cause a drop.

Hi Winger just curious did you notice any MPG change

·
Registered
11 Posts
Noticed a number of opinions about car tire handling and safety concerns. Just wondering if a car tire does handle well in turns, wet roads, etc. What size is compatible on a 2016 goldwing? Is the mileage equal to a Bridgestone or Dunlop? I know the car tire is cheaper, but safety is always priority. Just wondering. Thanks
As I understand it we are only talking about the fitting of Car Tyres to the Rear Wheel of a Motorcycle & more specifically a Goldwing.fitted to your Motorcycl

If Car tyres (In Australia we spell it Tyres not Tires) were OK for a Bike of any sort, why do Bridgestone or Dunlop and any other tyre manufacturer advertise that "Car Tyres for Your Motorbike"?

Again in Australia & more so in the USA ... If you had an accident occurred where your bike was damaged and "the other driver / rider was at fault". When the insurance assessor looks over your bike you would hope he/she may not notice the Car Tyre and process your claim. If he did notice the car tyre, there would be notes & photos taken and some lawyer will say "That is not a Motorcycle Approved Tyre & that may have contributed to the accident, we will deny the claim".
Insurance companies will look for any reason to refuse a claim.

I would expect that the fitting of a Car Tyre to (the back wheel of) a Motorcycle will make cruising on anything but a straight road a new adventure in how your bike handles, where after a reasonably tight bend you will need a clean set of underwear if you are still riding the bike.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
@ride0169 no nothing noticeable. MPG I don't really worry about. I went dark side cause I got tired of buying 2 bike tires a year for my Shadow. I gotta admit there is a certain cool factor to it as well. I put new bike tires on the wing when I bought it and 4 months later the rear had worn flat in the middle so I went double dark before the M&G last spring. Almost a year later and over 15000 miles later they still look great!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
As I understand it we are only talking about the fitting of Car Tyres to the Rear Wheel of a Motorcycle & more specifically a Goldwing.fitted to your Motorcycl

If Car tyres (In Australia we spell it Tyres not Tires) were OK for a Bike of any sort, why do Bridgestone or Dunlop and any other tyre manufacturer advertise that "Car Tyres for Your Motorbike"?

Again in Australia & more so in the USA ... If you had an accident occurred where your bike was damaged and "the other driver / rider was at fault". When the insurance assessor looks over your bike you would hope he/she may not notice the Car Tyre and process your claim. If he did notice the car tyre, there would be notes & photos taken and some lawyer will say "That is not a Motorcycle Approved Tyre & that may have contributed to the accident, we will deny the claim".

I would expect that the fitting of a Car Tyre to (the back wheel of) a Motorcycle will make cruising on anything but a straight road a new adventure in how your bike handles, where after a reasonably tight bend you will need a clean set of underwear if you are still riding the bike.
If that were completely true,,,, insurance companies in Texas would never pay for a wreck involving a 4x4 truck.... they almost never have factory spec tires on them

I do understand your reasoning though..........but until someone on here posts that insurance didn't pay off because of running a C/T I will continue to do so

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts

I have read many people who say insurance would deny a claim in the USA because of a CT. Yet of all of the sites where "darkside" is discussed have never seen where this has actually happened. Of all the million of miles run on darkside tires there seems there would be documented reports of this if it was actually happening. And by documented I don't mean some one saying "my uncles father in-laws 3rd cousin had this happen." I ask my insurance guy about this and he said as long as it is DOT rated no problem. As a matter of fact the Yokohama and the Hankook that I have used in recent years, neither say any where on them that they are an automotive just that the are DOT approved.
As far as handling, most who say handling suffers have never rode on one. Most who do install one say they will never go back to an MC tire.
GW  darkside onTail_of_the_Dragon_2017.jpg Darkside on Dragon.jpg Tail of the Dragon on Darkside tires.
Everyone needs to decide what is right for them, for me I will remain a "Darksider" for over 70k miles.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
The safest and best wearing road tire you can put on a Wing. Off-road....... well that's a different story

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The safest and best wearing road tire you can put on a Wing. ----
Especially on wet roads. Far superior in rain than any M/C tire I have ever had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is really funny that people who have never tried a CT and are never going to try a CT feel the need to go on about how dangerous a CT is. They really can't get their head around it. A CT is quieter, smoother, handles better in the wet and braking is improved. If you do a lot of highway miles they are amazing. They are not for crutch rockets or adventure bikes but a Goldwing is really suited to a CT.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
It is really funny that people who have never tried a CT and are never going to try a CT feel the need to go on about how dangerous a CT is. They really can't get their head around it. A CT is quieter, smoother, handles better in the wet and braking is improved. If you do a lot of highway miles they are amazing. They are not for crutch rockets or adventure bikes but a Goldwing is really suited to a CT.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I agree not because I'm a Darkside rider, I agree because it's true for me . There is a " feeling " curve that you have to get over. I few years back I rented a Wing in Phoenix, AZ for a week. When I pulled out of the rental shop I thought I had a flat or low pressure rear tire. The bike was" squirrely " to me. I soon realized I was use to the " stableness " of the car tire. I got used to it some miles down the road just like I did the car tire. P.S. I went Darkside back in 2010 because of the noisy rear tires. Car tires are quiet and stable throughout their many miles of riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.