Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 Wing is fine with just me on it. But I can put my wife on the back, and the howling from the rear drives me nuts. Regardless of the tire pressure, noise is still there.

No wonder folks are trying to run car tires. These tire makers should have fixed this by now. Seems to me that just the tread pattern on bike tires is enough to make them make noise.

:(

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sounds to me like you should check out a set of whisper quiet CT's for your ride. Due to the nature of the tread and carcass shape, it is next to impossible to design noise cancellation technology to a MT. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Size

What size matches the OEM the best? I wouldn't want a shorter tire, and increase RPM, and folk say the 1500 has a narrow swing arm.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
a 195/55/ 16 would more than likely be too wide, larry is running a 175/60/16 on his 1500

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I just posted something about my choice a few minutes ago on a different thread on this choice. I will say that my bike is so quiet I think I am riding an electric motorcycle.

Also, the smaller diameter tire has resulted in a slightly lower gear pattern, which has lowered the need to down shift. Also, I have found myself "double shifting" quite a bit more than I used to. "Double Shifting" meaning going from 1st to 3rd or from 2nd to 4th, or 3rd to 5th when there is flat terrain and I am not trying to break any speed records, which is most of the time.

The lower gearing has not been a problem for me. The bike will still go 110 mph if I choose to run up that fast and the higher rpm has not increased the fuel consumption. 300 higher rpm, at 70 mph based on GPS and comparing with other 1500's while traveling down the interstate.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
What size matches the OEM the best? I wouldn't want a shorter tire, and increase RPM, and folk say the 1500 has a narrow swing arm.
There is a taxi tire out there that matches the OEM in height and has some crown in the tire that some say mimics the MC tire profile a little. Google Taxi tire darkside and it should pop right up.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
M/C tires have been noisy forever it seems. I used to run Pirelli Phantoms on my 750. If I was in front of my Wing riding buddies, they complained that my tires whined loudly and was distracting/annoying. I could hear it myself, but not to the degree they did until we swapped rides one trip...yuck! Wings are normally so quiet that any intruding noises seem amplified so that's a bit of it I think. Doubt you could match the silence of a c/t with any offering from the m/c side.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Think about it. The MT is shaped in such a way that it will magnify sound, much like a megaphone, emminating from the center of the tire outward. The CT, with today's technology, is designed to reduce noise, trapping the soundwaves and canceling them out within the tread pattern, which is predominantly closed off when running straight up and down. They use different size tread blocks, placement, alternating groove patterns/angles, etc. to cancel out road noise. Impossible to do with a MT as there is no way to trap sound waves within the tread. Even huge monster sized 4x4 tires, like what I run on my Jeep (37" Toyo mud tires), are very quiet driving down the freeway because of computer aided design.

IMG_7475.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
My 92 Wing is fine with just me on it. But I can put my wife on the back, and the howling from the rear drives me nuts. Regardless of the tire pressure, noise is still there.:(
You know that statement begs the question...... Is it the tire or something/someone else making the noise???? :D:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not sure how to respond to that one...looks like a no win to me:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts