Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent dropped a bike in 25 or more years. I guess you could count the time I had my xs1100 loaded including bundles on top of each side bag and and the back pack, an my wife started to climb on before I was ready. Bent the handle bars pickin that bad boy up, just bent back and went on my way.

As I have been riding here and there on my new 2 me wing, I have notice the differences in balance. the seat is wider than what is normal for me, so I know my balance hasnt been exactly perfect. the mistake I made was treating or riding it like it was sayyy, extra heavy concourse or something. the reality is, you just cant. its made for highway and two lane rolling,but not so much adept to traffic and I need to ride accordingly.

I came to a light where I was going to take a right at red, and to do that although I had plenty of room, I did by easing up past a car on my leftt. but that led to not great vision of coming traffic and when I got to the actual turn there was a car coming. the right had a dip down and I had already started my turn, so when I hit the binders of course I was over the top. and man, I bet it wasnt a whole 5degrees and over she went. my son just stepped of the back
but the left peg caught my ankle pretty bad. fortunetly, the guards kept the bike off the ground. I only got one scuff underneath the lower cowl.

It was interesting, I followed the "how to pick up your fallen wing" from the owners manual. A young man jumped out of a van and came to help, but really I just about had it up anyway and completely sure I would have. so that was interesting that
it was not that hard. of course, asphalt and had good traction.

now to the questions and thoughts:

so I did see a couple of tablespoons of coolant on the ground. none after that. for anyone that has dropped theirs, did you see that as well. is that normal. it wouldnt surprise me to be normal. I have to check levels when I get home tonight, shoot, dont even know how, but the manual will tell me.

Im a little concerned about the balance (for this discussion note Im an average 5'9), the peg locations and what I have been experiencing,but its only an issue at stops and moving the bike around with a rider in tow. my son is only 111, so anything later,,, might be a bit more lol. like a lot of folks, I have a lower
back issue at times. and I was already sore that day. when this happens (even when driving my car long distance, it sends a burning sensation through my knee, which is tolerable but really not comfortable. well, while riding, I am experiencing this almost always. the highway pegs are not helpful in a change that would change my position enough. now I have hardly ridden without my son in tow so I dont know if that is part of the issue, where I put the back rest, which isnt a good one anyway. Im thinking I either need to A, move the pegs forward a bit, or b, put running boards on. if I put running boards on, do I need to move the shifter and brake levers? if so
Im assuming that usually part of the kit, or do I have to find those parts extra?

I also think I should find a slimmer seat. I may make one and do a custom leather one. I find my balance is a little wonky because im stretched out and back because the riding pegs are right at my ankles and trying to dig in. boots will help but i dont plan on wearing boots all the time.

so all in all, it was a good first weekend, with some hiccups, some concerns but still on the go, the bike is amazing. I just need to make some adjustments. but my back was pretty sore today so decided not to take it to work as planned (60miles one way). and, 40% chance of thunderstorms and I couldnt find my old rain gear last night. its nice the rest of the week, so it will get ridden.

thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Well now, you certainly covered alot in one post. Soooooo....

1st thing you need to do is contact Two Wheel Wing here at the GWOF & receive your IDMWT number because we have all done it. I believe if memory serves me correctly I'm lucky #7.;)

The coolant thing is kinda normal when they flounder. Just check the fluid I'm sure it's ok.

Lots of solutions out there.
The Boards do come as a kit with heel/toe shifter at minimal sometimes you can still use the stock brake pedal. However some guys myself included don't care for the boards as you have to get your legs down past them (a bit of a different angle). I used the Iso-Wings & loved them not quite as big as boards yet more surface than a standard peg to slide your foot further forward. Also with those you will use the stock shifter/brake pedal.

http://wingstuff.com/products/120-driver-iso-wing-boards?context=gold_wing_gl1800-footrests_stands

Adjusting your highway pegs a bit so that it is a more relaxed position may help some.

As for your seat request you may want to look at this site & talk to them.

http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/GL1800 Seats Main Page/GL1800 Seats Main Page.htm

Good Luck on the endeavor & hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Sounds like an adventure Bob....
Keep in mind, I am voicing possible solutions and they are ONLY MY OPINION!!!
1st - Contact TWO WHEEL WING (Charlie) and get your IDMWT#(Im #2)
2nd - The more you ride the Wing - The more comfortable you will get with Stops and Starts.
3rd - You being 5'9 - I think floor boards may spread you out more than with Pegs.
4th - Its not for everyone, but I noticed a major difference in Stability in slow speed maneuvers when I put on a CT. I also noticed the CT dropped the height of the bike vs. my E3.
5th- I too have the lower back issues. A walmart pad and concentrating on my shoulder tension made a difference. The biggest help came from adjusting my backrest to provide better support.
6th and Finally - I have dropped my Wing 3 times. If there is one thing I am an expert on its DROPPING MY WING. Drop it enough and you get really good.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Well now, you certainly covered alot in one post. Soooooo....

1st thing you need to do is contact Two Wheel Wing here at the GWOF & receive your IDMWT number because we have all done it. I believe if memory serves me correctly I'm lucky #7.;)

The coolant thing is kinda normal when the flounder. Just check the fluid I'm sure it's ok.

Lots of solutions out there.
The Boards do come as a kit with heel/toe shifter at minimal sometimes you can still use the stock brake pedal. However some guys myself included don't care for the boards as you have to get your legs down past them (a bit of a different angle). I used the Iso-Wings & loved them not quite as big as boards yet more surface to slide your foot further forward. Also with those you will use the stock shifter/brake pedal.

http://wingstuff.com/products/120-driver-iso-wing-boards?context=gold_wing_gl1800-footrests_stands

Adjusting your highway pegs a bit so that it is a more relaxed position may help some.

As for your seat request you may want to look at this site & talk to them.

http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/GL1800 Seats Main Page/GL1800 Seats Main Page.htm

Good Luck on the endeavor & hope this helps.
Should have known Fossil would beat me to the punch. Can't type fast enough.:(

·
Administrator
15,320 Posts
Sorry you lost your balance on that turn. I’m sure you would have picked it up by yourself as I’ve watched at 100 pound woman pick one up at one of our parking lot practices. That is what I would recommend; all of us need to practice our skills to keep them sharp. The wing will do turns almost as sharp as a Harley. All it takes is practice. You can look up practicing using the friction zone and find a parking lot to work at it.

Our GWRRA chapter periodically holds parking lot practices to hone our skills. There is one near you in York. Here is a link to their newsletter; http://www.gwrrasc.com/nwsltrs/scHnews.pdf

Every group is a little different but my association with MS-F has been enjoyable.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
:cool:
Should have known Fossil would beat me to the punch. Can't type fast enough.:(
Ahhh but "Grasshopper" you bring up a valid point that I forgot & most new Wing riders suffer from it. Here It is.

The Wing is a big (but yielding) beast. It is most riders thought process that they need to manhandle her. As Ref alluded (Concentrating on his grip). Some of your pain issues may be tension related. The bike will respond you can relax that grip. When I 1st rode mine after about 2 months I told my brother (a long time Wing rider) that I couldn't believe the pain I would get in between my shoulders & that I was thinking "I may not get used to this?"

He calmly told me to "Relax you're causing your own pain". I did, he was right.

Good Point Ref.:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Speaking of Dropping Your Wing -
Funny story the other day at my local Drug Dealer (Pharmacist).
He said he was watching a female customer struggle with a Harley that was WAY too big for her. She lost her balance and BOOM!!! Down Goes the Harley. He said she came in and asked him to help her lift the bike.
I told I am a Huge fan of people Dropping their bikes. He should have shown her the Video on Youtube.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
:cool:

Ahhh but "Grasshopper" you bring up a valid point that I forgot & most new Wing riders suffer from it. Here It is.

The Wing is a big (but yielding) beast. It is most riders thought process that they need to manhandle her. As Ref alluded (Concentrating on his grip). Some of your pain issues may be tension related. The bike will respond you can relax that grip. When I 1st rode mine after about 2 months I told my brother (a long time Wing rider) that I couldn't believe the pain I would get in between my shoulders & that I was thinking "I may not get used to this?"

He calmly told me to "Relax you're causing your own pain". I did, he was right.

Good Point Ref.:cool:
I owe you for that info....Sensei:).......That tidbit of advice changed my whole outlook on operating a Wing.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Don't feel so bad Bob, I think I may have the record here of dropping mine 3 times in one day. Of course it bears noting that I was in my driveway in deep sand. I pulled my hamstrings and hurt like heck for 2 weeks. I haven't had any problems yet on asphalt however the one that I really focus on is keeping the front end straight when applying front brake when stopping. A few times I had the wheel slightly turned at applied front brake and it wanted to go over but recovered it. This is the one that can get you caught with your shorts down. Fortunately the crash bars do a good job at protecting the bike and low speed drops generally are without serious injury. It's a bit of a blow to one's confidence as I laid around all weekend when it happened looking at trike kits.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
He's entitled to the exclusive club membership and the mascot.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Yup, we've all done that. In fact the saying goes if you ride you have been down or are going down. Some like yours are better than others. Have done both. Fossil92 I think your answer will help me too. I bought a one owner '93 last year with boards and heel toe shifter and it feels awkward to me too.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Ken just a headsup on something. I had a 1500 as well. DO NOT buy the ones in the link I provided they are for an 1800. I will look up the ones I got for my 1500 & get you the info.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the dropsy club Bob. The engine and bag guards do a great job of not letting the bike go all the way over or they would be a real beast to pick up. My RC weighs half of the Wing, but the first thing I put on it after I bought it was a set of frame sliders. I got lucky, no broken fairing parts. That time anyway:eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
My last 3 bikes, I got into a bad habit. Pull in the driveway, hit the button of the gate, take my helmet off, hang it on the mirror, and drive the bike around in back of the house. Tried it with my 2010 1800 the first week I got it, and didn't make it through the first slow speed left turn. The front brake handle hit the helmet. I challenge anyone not to drop it when the front wheel locks at 2 MPH while turning left. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Does it need to be posted on the day I drop(ped) the Wing? :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Gee Bob. If you had been down around the Tail of the Dragon, NC last month on the weekend of May 13th, you may have seen two Wings and three bodies lying in the middle of a country road. I don't recall seeing mine or " Ralfhuomor's " bike spilling any liquids. We did both, however, suffer some broken plastic and road rash chrome. But like yourself, we all lived to tell about it.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Does it need to be posted on the day I drop(ped) the Wing? :eek:
Nope. Just a short explaination of what happened and then take the next number... I proudly show my number in my sig line... :)

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Really good point, DanB. Got to keep the front wheel straight when stopping, applying front brake, especially if you get weight forward.:eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gee Bob. If you had been down around the Tail of the Dragon, NC last month on the weekend of May 13th, you may have seen two Wings and three bodies lying in the middle of a country road. I don't recall seeing mine or " Ralfhuomor's " bike spilling any liquids. We did both, however, suffer some broken plastic and road rash chrome. But like yourself, we all lived to tell about it.
sorry I missed it,,,,how do you say that, without sounding insulting. you know what I mean... where is tail of the dragon? I hear about it, looks like something I gotta go do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.