Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It goes without saying but I'll say it again, "you meet the nicest people on a Wing". This morning, Steve aka the Bevman sent me a PM in response to my recent one to him and said he was going to be in my town for a few days on business and could we meet? I replied that I'd love to and this afternoon we met up at the Hampton Inn where he was staying. I was on my Wing and rode 75 miles south from one of our construction projects and just missed an afternoon rain on the way back in town. The streets were wet and lots of drainage was flowing as I intentionally rode hard and leaned into curves on the city streets to test my new tires and especially the c/t. It was awesome as the bike hugged the turns without compromise or trepidation. Now back to my meetup with Steve.

Steve was on a business trip and even though he would have preferred to be on his Wing, his new 95 Aspencade SE was parked 150 miles west at home over in the DFW Metroplex. When I pulled in to the hotel parking lot we kicked tires and talked about our Wings for hours. If it hadn't been for the fact that dusk was upon us we would have probably gone on allot longer. It was clear that here were two men who recently bought 95 Aspencades and were in Honda heaven with their new bikes. If Saint Peter had been there he would have wanted a Wing too. Steve and I talked about the GWRRA and that he was a new member and that his chapter was doing a ride this weekend. I told Steve that I was invited to our local chapter meeting this weekend too. We hope to ride in the future together and I mentioned that Will aka the Willmax and I talked about a ride soon to a north Texas lake, Lake Texoma. Steve said he'd like to do that ride with us.

This is the second member now that I've met from this forum from Texas as the other was Will. This really is a great bunch here and like I said, you meet the nicest folks on a Wing. Thanks Steve for a fun filled afternoon talking about one of our greatest passions; riding Goldwings.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
its great to meet and talk face to face with another forum member and i hope the three of you can get together for the ride to the lake

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes it was special meeting face to face Larry and Doc. One of the first things out of Steve's mouth was how he was still learning new things about his bike. I concurred and asked him if he knew about the plastic caps on top of the shocks that had the manual valve stem for airing up the front shocks? He said he did and had trouble filling as he said they take only about 6 psi and his compressor was overfilling them. He said he ended up taking to the dealer to charge them. Does anyone have experience with this as I've not even checked mine as I only learned I even had them yesterday? Gosh, my 85 LTD had on board air compressor control switches for front and rear and it was nearly 30 years old.

One of the joys of kicking tires is talking about our mods as Steve talked about some that came with his bike as his had some nice after market farkles like extra front lights, arm rests, etc. The SE model has many nice extras too that are dropped on the Aspencade and Intersate models. It was great comparing notes and getting ideas from each other about stuff like tires too. I did give Steve a peek at my c/t and that evoked another whole conversation that drifted into the evening. Yep, meeting other riders with Wings just seems to bring out the best in us.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for going out of your way to meet up with me yesterday and show me your beautiful Wing. It seems when I am away from mine I stay close to it by reading and commenting on the forum but yesterday I almost felt like I was with my bike since it is so similar. I really enjoyed talking about yours and comparing my experiences to yours and talking about the wish list that we both have. It really did go on for hours but when you left I called my wife and told her you had just left she said WOW you have been talking for hours.... I realized that she was right and all I can say is "time flies when your having fun"

I knew from reading your comments in the forum that you would be someone that I could talk for hours to about the bikes since we both recently aquired them. You do meet the nicest people on Gold Wings!!!!

I am not quite sure that I am ready to go darkside c/t yet but Dan has convinced me to think about it, I have a few thousand miles left on my current rear tire but when it wears out......who knows?

Dan you really made an otherwise boring evening out of town on business in a hotel room
a quite entertaining and interesting evening for me and I really appreciate your meeting me yesterday.

Looking forward to riding with you and Will, let me know when the ride to Texoma gets scheduled.....looking forward to it!!

Thanks again
Steve

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together! Way to go guys.:D

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Yes it was special meeting face to face Larry and Doc. One of the first things out of Steve's mouth was how he was still learning new things about his bike. I concurred and asked him if he knew about the plastic caps on top of the shocks that had the manual valve stem for airing up the front shocks? He said he did and had trouble filling as he said they take only about 6 psi and his compressor was overfilling them. He said he ended up taking to the dealer to charge them. Does anyone have experience with this as I've not even checked mine as I only learned I even had them yesterday? Gosh, my 85 LTD had on board air compressor control switches for front and rear and it was nearly 30 years old.

:eek::eek: Do not put a compressor to the valve stems on your forks.
They are low pressure low volume. You can wreck the seals rather quickly. They only take about 6 lbs. Progressive make a little hand pump with a gauge on it.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That tip is worth the price of admission here Ron. Oh yea, you guys are free but you ain't cheap. Top hat here.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts

:eek::eek: Do not put a compressor to the valve stems on your forks.
They are low pressure low volume. You can wreck the seals rather quickly. They only take about 6 lbs. Progressive make a little hand pump with a gauge on it.
you should not use a compressor to fill the forks, thats a good way to blow a seal. use a hand pump and a valve extension

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
you should not use a compressor to fill the forks, thats a good way to blow a seal. use a hand pump and a valve extension
I agree that's why when I realized that I could not turn down the pressure low enough with a compressor I let the air out that the compressor had put in and just ran with 0 pressure until I took it to the dealership for service, they put the correct pressure back in and I will not touch it again, lesson learned. My bike did come with what looked like a syringe and a hose that would screw onto the fork air fittings and force air into the forks, I hooked it up and pumped it a few times but when I checked the pressure with a gauge it still showed 0 psi, there was no gauge with it and I don't see how you could tell how much pressure was going in....basically seems useless to me, there is such a small amount of total volume of air in the forks that when using a pressure gauge you can quickly go to 0 psi just checking the pressure. I am hoping that this is not something that needs to be checked on a regular basis because it is a PITA for sure.:confused:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Dan,
I took my top cover off when I got home and took a picture of the area of concern that we spoke about yesterday....you are right your mechanic did not properly install the upper tupperware when he reassembled your bike.

Look at the attached picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
One way to avoid having to mess with air in the front shocks is to install progressive springs.

Here is a picture of the progressive air pump.I mentioned before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
One way to avoid having to mess with air in the front shocks is to install progressive springs.

Here is a picture of the progressive air pump.I mentioned before.
Thanks Ron,
the pump that was in the saddle bag of my bike looks like it except it is all plastic and no pressure gauge......what good is it without a gauge? Where can I get the progressive air pump? Wing Stuff stock it?

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Thanks Ron,
the pump that was in the saddle bag of my bike looks like it except it is all plastic and no pressure gauge......what good is it without a gauge? Where can I get the progressive air pump? Wing Stuff stock it?
BEVMAN, wingstuff has the pump $49.95. Just enter Progressive Air Pump in the search window. and it will take you there.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
It goes without saying but I'll say it again, "you meet the nicest people on a Wing". This morning, Steve aka the Bevman sent me a PM in response to my recent one to him and said he was going to be in my town for a few days on business and could we meet? I replied that I'd love to and this afternoon we met up at the Hampton Inn where he was staying. I was on my Wing and rode 75 miles south from one of our construction projects and just missed an afternoon rain on the way back in town. The streets were wet and lots of drainage was flowing as I intentionally rode hard and leaned into curves on the city streets to test my new tires and especially the c/t. It was awesome as the bike hugged the turns without compromise or trepidation. Now back to my meetup with Steve.

Steve was on a business trip and even though he would have preferred to be on his Wing, his new 95 Aspencade SE was parked 150 miles west at home over in the DFW Metroplex. When I pulled in to the hotel parking lot we kicked tires and talked about our Wings for hours. If it hadn't been for the fact that dusk was upon us we would have probably gone on allot longer. It was clear that here were two men who recently bought 95 Aspencades and were in Honda heaven with their new bikes. If Saint Peter had been there he would have wanted a Wing too. Steve and I talked about the GWRRA and that he was a new member and that his chapter was doing a ride this weekend. I told Steve that I was invited to our local chapter meeting this weekend too. We hope to ride in the future together and I mentioned that Will aka the Willmax and I talked about a ride soon to a north Texas lake, Lake Texoma. Steve said he'd like to do that ride with us.

This is the second member now that I've met from this forum from Texas as the other was Will. This really is a great bunch here and like I said, you meet the nicest folks on a Wing. Thanks Steve for a fun filled afternoon talking about one of our greatest passions; riding Goldwings.

I'm looking forward to meeting you Bevman. The three of us need to compare calendars and take that ride up to Lake Texoma.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts