Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to help a friend with his 1988 1500. It seems like it is runing on 4 or 5 - more noticable at idle. It stumbles bad on take off and acceleration. At first is was thinking carb. problems, but after riding it for a while, it seems to do it most of the time - hign or low rpms. I checked as many vacuum lines that i could reach and all are good. I would like to do a compression check, but it shure looks like a big job. What do I have to remove to do the compression test? If I do end up going into the carbs any suggestions? What about timing belts? Could one be getting bad and runing loose. What is the procedure for troubleshooting?
Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF daniel. to access the spark plugs the lower part of the fairing ( just above the head ) will have to be removed

·
Registered
213 Posts
On one that old,i believe you have spark issues,wires and or wire ends at the plugs. If this has been going on for awhile it may now have fuel fouled plugs as well. Does the engine spin over evenly with the kill switch in the off position? If so,then i would bet your compression is fine.Please let us know what u find. Ken 94SE

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Sounds just like the issue that brought me here! My friend's 1500 was doing just the same. He ran a strong carburetor cleaner through a couple tanks and she runs fine now.

Oh, and he also put in a new set of plugs, two sets, actually, as he thought the first might be bad. Neither set helped the issue.

drmcmtru might be right on the spark issue, but we went down that road with his.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Have you checked the timing marks on the belts? If they are worn and one has jumped a tooth or two, it could cause your problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
VMIPAT, have you changed your fuel filters? Try that first, if it idles good the belts are probably fine.

That is to say the timing is probably fine, if the belts have high miles they should be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Do you lose RPMs going up a hill or just speed?

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
I don't know much about the pulse generators, but from what I understand, they normally either work or don't work.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Any change in valve timing will make a difference. Is the belt loose?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.