Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Must they *always* be right?!!

Yesterday as I was pulling up to the Harbor Tunnel toll both, when I put my foot down, the surface was oily, wet (from the air conditioner condensation, I suppose) and I damn near had my foot slip out from underneath me. That would have been embarrassing, to say the least! However, as I was wearing a rubber full sole boot (Magnum Tacticals), it grabbed enough where I could adapt. What gets me is that I had put on the boots that morning thinking that perhaps my leather sole, rubber heel Justin Roper boots might not be the best for my riding, even though I had worn those for a run the day before! I have a pair of Tourmaster SC boots for wet, but we're talking bone dry (except for the humidity) conditions...

Guess they knew what they were talking about, huh? Glad I didn't have to learn the hard way!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
You got lucky Rapier. Me and the missus went down in BC many years ago on an oil slicked lane (didn't see the grease due to the glare of the sun) and very nearly ended up under a gravel truck. A ten hundred twenty truck tyre looks pretty imposing bearing down on you when you're laying on your butt!

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me at a PA Turnpike toll booth. That area is always slippery. Need to be very careful. I take my time and I know that may upset those behind me, but you have to worry about #1 and your passenger.. Ride (and stop) safe...

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Rapier, I usually always wear my SC boots just for the shear comfort. Toll Booths, bank drive thrus & parking garages are notoriously slippery in this ole fossil's opinion. Just yesterday getting off the Ok pike heading to Tulsa I had the similar experiance. Although I was slightly prepared for it and as Two Wheel said I just took a little extra time much to the dismay of the young lady behind me.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Rapier, Glad you didn't drop the bike.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Rapier,

There are those who have and those who will !! It is a certainty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have often wondered why states don't do a better job of cleaning around toll booths. They certainly spend enough on useless construction.I agree with Bill {Have or Will}

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I hear you and completely agree, guys. I really posted the thread to point out that if you're not thinking of this particular hazard at toll booths, it could very easily get ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts