Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long fight with cancer my father passed away. He left me his 1982 1100 Goldwing GL bike to me. I feel blessed and am so happy he left it to me when he has 5 children to leave it to.

I remember riding on the back of the bike when I was 10 years old. I knew how to drive it before I knew how to drive our car. I was more excited about getting my motorcycle license then I was about getting my drivers license. After 5 years of fighting cancer my dad passed and left me the bike.

When he got sick he could not ride the bike anymore and it set for 5 years. When he drove it it was in great shape. It only has 86,549 miles on it. I got the bike home this week and it is in bad shape. My brother who is really good with cars said that I should just scrap it because its been sitting for so long but it only has 86k on it and I remember my dad saying that its not even broken in. This is why my dad gave me the bike and not him!

So I am going to try to fix it! I have done a lot of work on cars but not much on bikes. I have a repair manual; it’s kind of like a Haynes manual for cars. From what I can tell so far it will need new mufflers because they are rusted. I can get the Goldwing started which is great news but it stalls. It's choking out and the only way I can keep it started is when I reeve the engine, but I can only get the RPM's to 1500 or so. Yes it has new gas in it. It is also leaking gas! The shocks are gone as well.

What do you think? Does it sound like something that can be fixed? Is it worth it? If you have any ideas of what could be wrong or of things I should do after a bike has set for 5 years please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
My opinion ( and it is just that) is. If you can afford to fix it up, go for it. The bike has a lot of sentimental value you to you. You may never get the money you put into it back out if you sell it, but you will have a lot more fond memories of riding dad's bike.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
First Sorry for your loss, I lost my Dad 7 yrs ago and I still miss him.
Welcome to the site.
Your Dad was right it still is not broke in yet I read storys on this site were others had done the same thing and they are riding them now. So go for it and Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First off I'm sorry about your dad passing.
If your doing it for sentimental value than go ahead, but you will be looking at a lot of time, work and money. The cards should be rebuilt, the 1100 Gold Wings had bad slides in the carbs, they were know to stick. All the fluids must be changed, brake, anti-freeze, final drive, new tires are a must after sitting that long, maybe a new stator, they have been known to have bad stators and that requires to pull the motor to replace it. You might find that some seals are dried out after sitting and will start to leak . I don't want to rain on your parade but you are in for a lot of work. You might have trouble finding parts for a bike that old also.
A friend of mine bought an 1100 Gold Wing from a lady I knew that her husband had passed away. The bike sat for about 5 or 6 years. he rebuilt the entire bike from the ground up, he worked on it on week-ends, after about a year it was running like new, he rode it and found out it was very uncomfortable for him so he sold it and bought a 1500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry for your loss. You might as well go for it, You know the bike means to much to you to junk it. Besides your dad was right its not broken in yet. I'm in the middle of redoing a 1984 aspencade, it has like 105000 miles on it. The stator went out so I pulled the engine to replace it. And now I keep finding other things to do on it while the engine is out. I also have not worked on bikes but if you have worked on cars you should be able to do the bike. Besides that what digital cameras are for. Thats what I used. Then there is the guys on this site. Ask any question and in acouple hours you have the answer. Or some place to get it. There are places to get parts for old bikes. Just poke around the internet. So go for it you wont be sorry. If you junk it you will be........

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Most of the guys that have responded said what I was thinking. Go for it and enjoy the wonderful gift your Dad left you. Sorry for your loss and welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge and good folks on here that will give you advice. Ride safe and send pics when it's all done.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Goldwing Kin,

#1 Everyone has given you good advice from the amount of effort that it will take to the reason you should do it. So I'll just add the Welcome to the site. We have lot's of good people here so as the project progresses if you need an answer just ask the question.

#2 YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! all it's going to take is time & money.

#3 Your Dad will be proud.

#4 I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my pop 1 1/2 yr ago & it still hurts & I miss him everyday.

#5 Stop reading this thread & get to work. You have a lot to do.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go for it son. Your Dad was probably about about my age...59. I have a 1983 GL1100 and a 2003 GL1800. Both run well although the 1983 requires more upkeep (just like older women). Your Dad would be proud to see his old bike running. There are a lot of parts on Ebay and other places mentioned above. I am sorry for your loss. We, all of the above, do understand what you are going through. It is hard to lose your Dad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello to ALL. Goldwing you can restore the buike to riding condition again. I agree with Most that the Main Issue will be the Carbs all Gummed Up but there is a Product called Sea Foam, I think you cna get it at most Auto Supply Stores, Google it if you are unable to find it, that Might Help but likely the teardown, cleaning and rebuilding may be necessary, it is worth a try since you stated it would run and just not idle well. Another cause of poor idle is Vacuum Leaks, very Common. The site GoldwingFacts.com is a Very Helpful Site with many folks with years of Experience there willing to lend you advice....even many Videos as well when it comes to actually going thru a Repair procedure. I am sure there are many folks on this site as well who can lend you some very helpful advice, posting usually gets a helping hand. Good Luck with your restoration and Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own and ride a 81 GL1100 and its a wonderful bike, Mild mannered plenty of power for cruising but you wont win any drag races LOL From my perspective I'd invest the time, money and effort to get her roadworthy again just out of respect for Dad. I bought mine off a 72 year old man who was the third owner of the bike, 29 years old and only 25,000 miles He was going to a trike. Parts may be an issue but there are plenty of sources so hopefully you will be able to get what you need. Good luck and Godspeed.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Goldwing Kin and I echo the sentiments of just about everybody so far. Your dad left you a sentimental gift and one that's worthy of effort. You have my condolences, and like Fossil92 I lost my father a year and a half ago too, so we feel your loss too. The best way to cherish his memory is on that Wing.
Daryl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts